Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What do you look for in an apartment rental?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to buy a small apartment in Glasgow's Merchant City, in about a year, to run as a holiday apartment, or for folks visiting on business. What do you look for in an apartment rental, what makes the difference and makes a good place great?
We have lots of ideas to make if special, but would really welcome your input.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM

I like them to have some "outdoor" space. Balcony, Patio, etc... It can be very small, but that's something I do look for. My last "rental" in Paris was missing this and I decided that it was important enough that from now on I would probably "insist" from now on.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:25 AM

- washer AND dryer
- bathroom sink space (large enough to put toothbrushes, etc on)
- not a walk up (legs too tired at the end of the day!)
- professional management in town in case of issues
- good photographs - not the actual photos - meaning, no "artistic" photos of the flowers on the counter, instead, I want to see how the space flows and works
- I prefer open floor plan between kitchen and living room
- a diagram of the floorplan on the website advertising it
- sofa bed always gives flexibility to those of us with 3 kids... we rarely unfold it, but then we are "legal" in an apartment. Usually, we make the couch with sheets and a blanket for the kid and they sleep in it without pulling out the bed part.
- probably the most important is location, convenience to public transportation, and shopping.
- I guess price is important too!

many of these are things I've noticed when deciding between apartments. They are small things, but can make a difference.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:36 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
outdoor space might be desirable -- but in a place like Glasgow I doubt if (any) renters would expect it so that wouldn't be important IMO.

What would be good (understanding this is in Glasgow - other destinations might have different requirements) are things like:
• internet connection;

• a zip-lock bed (two twins that convert to a king sized bed). Couples would want one bed -- but a LOT of friends, brother/sister, mother/daughter, etc travel together and not having to share a bed would increase your pool of renters

• modern appliances -- WITH clear instructions

• Some sort of welcome pack (basic food items so they don't have to rush out to the supermarket immediately)

• On good transport connections (and provide bus/train/underground information)

• Modern decort isn't absolutely vital -- as long as it is pristinely clean

• Some folks require a secured bldg so that might be important.

• Adequate hanging/drawer/cupboard space

• someplace to eat w/o having to move furniture
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of this...very helpful, keep them coming.

I have a friend who runs a personal concierge service, so will plan to offer her services to folks as well....(she'll also be the contact, key holder, cleaner when we're not around)
Also have a friend who is a photographer, so should could exhibit some of her Glasgow stuff in the apartment as well
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:01 AM

I've rented well over twenty houses and apartments in France over the last decade and have a list of things that are important to me:

- Evening lighting that is bright enough and concentrated enough to read by. Ideally this would include the sitting area and bedside tables.

- Comfortable sitting for as many people as you plan to offer beds for ... armchairs, loveseats, or couches, but comfy.

- Wireless internet access. I never thought I would regard that as essential, but I seem to have reached that point.

- A good house book with clear instructions on appliances, security, emergency contacts, garbage and recycling instructions, plus guidance on local services such as groceries, bakeries, etc. Restaurant recommendations and information on local tourist attractions are a bonus. I do appreciate information on local transportation options, particularly taxis numbers.

- A comprehensive long-distance plan is a bonus, but it is less important for me now that I carry a mobile when I travel abroad.

- I really support janisj's idea of the welcome pack. Dish soap, hand soap, paper towels, etc are really appreciated, even if simply enough to get you started.

- I also look carefully at photographs, especially at windows, the kitchen, and the bedroom(s). I believe it was NeoPatrick who once famously pointed out that any bedroom with one side of the bed pushed up against a wall was guaranteed to be miniscule.

- I'm with surfmom on showing the floorplan; that really helps me to visualize what the place looks like.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:04 AM

Just to add: less important for me is a TV or a sound system. I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there, but I realize they might be really important to some other travellers.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 11:35 AM

I too look for bedside tables with a lamp on each side.

Also

- a dining table large enough to seat everybody. That is, if the apartment sleeps 6, then the table should seat 6. And, in southern countries, an outside table that will seat everybody.

- WiFi/Internet, preferably free

- ditto non-artistic photographs

- bathtub/shower (personal preference)

- my friend demands English-language TV, (may or may not be a problem in Glasgow )
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 10:23 PM

I know that I'm just renting, but I like to feel as if I'm a guest in someone's home. I dislike when the owner is more concerned with limiting amenities such as one towel per person or X rolls of toilet tissue or paper towels. I like a kitchen I can actually cook in without having to break the bank purchasing supplies that we will use only for a week. The kitchen should be stocked with good pots/pans, utensils and a supply of essential cooking ingredients such as flour, oil, sugar and coffee. At least one bottle of water if the tap water is not decent.

I prefer a rental that looks like someone actually lives there - artwork on the walls, family photos, candles, beds all made up, rugs/carpets. One owner had a large basket of fresh fruit on the kitchen counter. Another nice touch was a decorative ladder in the bedrooms with extra towels and a bathrobe draped over the rungs.

Bedside clocks, hair dryer(s), good lighting.

If you have a VCR, please have instructions for using the TV and VCR remote controls. This goes for the washer/dryer and kitchen appliances as well.

A welcome note is nice on arrival.
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM

We started renting apartments for our holidays a couple of years ago and have never looked back. This is what's on our list:

two bedrooms (we only have one child but a separate bedroom is handy. like many of my friends, before we had kids we never rented apartments on holidays, so i think to attract the target market you would need a 2-bed or at least a 1-bed with sofabed in living room).

Good curtains / blinds - if it looks from the ad like the rooms are very bright (e.g sheer white voile curtains)we won't book because we are afraid we won't sleep

washer/dryer

a location that is both central - or very convenient - and quiet (actually this one should have been top of the list)

jane
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 05:02 AM

1. No more than two flights of stairs or a lift. No Edinburgh tenements for me.
2. Quiet location or good double glazing or both.
3. No students or small children in the building. Not next door to a pub or fire station.
4. If you are buying to rent, you should visit the property at all times of day and night before committing. Do you hear the neighbors using the toilet (not just flushing it?) Does the bass on the stereo next door thump into the wee hours? Do the people above seem to be walking around in ski boots? Do they get drunk and scream at each other?
5. Does the neighbor's second hand smoke come into the flat? The odor of their boiling cabbage? Their morning fryup?
6. Good access to shops and public transportation is critical; safe parking for a rental car might be. I would expect to pay extra for it.

Sadly, I have run into all these issues both as an owner and as a long term tenant. The first two are deal breakers.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much or your input on this...things like wifi and lots of instructions we'll definitely be doing. Also I think that we can get a good phone deal which will include some international calls so might be able that as a free inclusive (subject to limits!)
I think we'll still go for a one bed, as some of our target customers will be from the UK doing a long weekend in the city and we don't want larger groups. With a double bed and a sofa bed, we'll be able to provide for 2 friends, or Mum/daughter. We'll also be aiming at folks up on business who'd prefer an apartment to a hotel room.

Would respond to all your suggestions, but I think you'd get very bored!
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 04:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1) a map of the local restaurants, theatres, supermarkets
2) hot water
3) great wifi
4)Sharp knives
5)Proper cooking tools
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 05:54 AM

alihutch, I'd avoid the 'free' international calls as it's open to abuse and I imagine very few would expect them at a rental. One bed sounds fine but do make it a queen bed if possible!

What's important to me..

Location.. central preferred or good access/transport optons

I look for space (if there's a sofa bed is there room to unfold it and still walk around the bed)

Light... windows in every room, the bigger the better and a view is lovely! Plus good electric lighting in all the rooms.

Comfortable beds (I look at the photos and scan the reviews carefully for details).
I always pick apartments with a queen or king bed as double beds are too small for my husband to share (he's 6'4).

wi-fi, hot water

I also appreciate a well stocked apartment. Not things like flour which might have been opened and left lying around for months but basics like salt, kitchen towels, toilet paper, coffee filters and the like.

A welcome gift of a bottle of wine or better still some fresh bread, fruit and milk in the fridge especially for late arrivals is perfect.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:49 AM

Great pillows! Last time I stayed in Paris, I had to purchase another pillow because there was only one very flat pillow on the bed. And- it felt like a board.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sassy....if we did the phonecall thing, we'd be able to see what they'd use online and could deduct unfair usage from the security deposit..
We'll also offer a welcome pack of milk, bread etc and keep the coffe tea seasoning topped up....
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:00 AM

In addition to the things listed above, I look for a standing shower--I still prefer that to a bathtub.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Required for us to choose a rental property:
Washer and dryer
Quiet location ( in a city, Master bedroom away from street noise)
Shower or bathtub with a shower connetion, not just a bath tub.
WiFi would be great.
Near grocery stores.
Near transportation, trams, subways, buses.
We have rented many places throughout Europe and these are what we look for.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 09:39 AM

It's strange but no one has mentioned architecture or beauty. I look for things like TWO bedside tables, TWO lights, lightness of rooms and not too poky bathrooms, but also pleasing decor and a handsome looking building. It is not difficult to make a place look stylish, and the less clutter the better.

Oh, and a reasonable price too.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 10:23 AM

All great suggestions above (particularly reading lamps in the bedroom - we've been known to purchase lamps if the apartment seems right on other criteria). I would second easy access to (paid) parking.

I prefer an apartment that has a dishwasher because I find in apartments without one the dishes are usually not terribly clean. (failing a dishwasher - please have your housekeeper check the dishes/silver between guests).

Another thing I appreciate in a listing are some pics out the window/around the general area. When we first started renting in the early 90s I read a piece of advice to ask for pics of the adjacent area....saved me from renting an other perfect place that was next to a 24 hour truck yard.

Re wi-fi - be sure to locate the modem in an easily accessible place as at some point in a rental I usually have to recycle the modem....also leave instructions on how to do that.

Ice cube trays are always appreciated, although my husband has become an expert at converting plastic egg trays into ice cube trays (they're good for a couple of turns!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -