Reload this Page >

What Do You Do With Your Passport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:24 PM
John

What do you do with your passport when traveling in Europe? Do you always carry it with you? If so, how many people actually use money belts? Do you leave it in your hotel? I'm getting ready for my first trip and I can't really find an answer to this anywhere, it seems like an important point.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 08:44 PM
Wilma

If there's a safe in my hotel room, I leave it there along with my credit cards and cash card. If not, I wear a money pouch under my jacket with those items in it. (the kind that goes over your shoulder rather than the belt) I don't bother putting my money pouch under my shirt, it's too inconvenient if you have to pull out some money. Occasionally I will hide my money pouch in the hotel room if there's no safe, but I prefer to have a set routine regarding those critical items because I'm less likely to forget them.<BR><BR>In my younger days, I would fold my passsport in half and keep it in my jeans pocket, with cash in the other pocket, but those irreverent days are just memories now.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:09 PM
r

John; Go to ricksteves.com and click on travel tips. There is a wealth of information there about safety and security. <BR><BR>I make a copy of my passport (first two pages with photo) and that's what I keep with me during the day-- just in case. You can't cash checks or do certain bank transactions without at least a copy of the passport. The actual passport is in a safe in the hotel along with cash, traveler's checks, atm card, airline tickets. Then each day I take some cash, a check, or whatever else I think I will need,and I always carry my credit card; depending where we are I will either put those things in the money belt or the day pack. In big cities I use the money belt. I always take two credit cards with me overseas just in case something happens to one of them; like it stops working in the machine. Also,if there is no safe in the room, ask at reception, most hotels have them in a back room somewhere. They will charge you a deposit fee for the safe key. <BR><BR>Never assume anything about safety and security wherever you are. Even out in what seems like the benign countryside people get robbed or have their passports stolen. <BR><BR>As an example, my big maha executive brother lives half the time at one of those big she-she hotels in London on the park--they know him very well. And yet he left his passport, by mistake, on the nightstand and went to breakfast, only to come back to no passport and total denial from the staff. The moral: anything is possible, anywhere you go.<BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Fiona

When outside of your home country, carry your passport (or Natioal ID Card, if your country offers such a thing) at all times. Leave a photocopy of your passport at your hotel (or wherever you are staying locally), and with a reliable contact at home, and if you are able, scan the relevant pages and email them to yourself at a webmail address, so that anywhere you can get on the internet, you can print off a copy.<BR><BR>As for moneybelt, I don't think it's necesaary anywhere in Europe (Chechnya, maybe?)... but if it makes you feel secure, it may be worth bringing/wearing.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 09:36 PM
xxxx4

John; Fiona has obviously never had her bag pulled off her shoulder or been pick-pocketed.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 10:47 PM
jessie

I agree with xxx4 about being pick-pocketed. I was pick-pocketed in Italy, not Chechnya. I use a money belt. Hotel safe would be my second choice. Use common sense and have fun.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 10:51 PM
moonspinr

I guess xxxx4 always carries a money belt everywhere with him/her in the US then, too.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:24 PM
xx

I think the point is that when you are traveling in a strange foreign place one tends to be off- guard, sometimes disoriented and more vulnerable to pickpockets and thieves.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 11:29 PM
BTilke

I live in Brussels and carry my passport with me everywhere, but leave my Belgian ID card at home. In Belgium, it's not legal to carry a photocopy of your passport or ID card, it has to be the real thing. At any rate, getting a passport replaced is a piece of cake compared to getting a replacement Belgian ID card. I usually carry a Longchamp brand purse that has a very sturdy shoulder strap that's long enough to wear crossed over and it has a special zippered inside compartment to hold my wallet. A lot more pickpocket resistant than my previous purse. And whenever I buy a new coat, I make the store put in an inside pocket. Men's coats have them but most women's coats don't. Irritating.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 01:58 AM
justso

That's chi-chi, not she-she, you dunce.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:31 AM
cd

My husband has a silk money belt and he wears it under his shirt. The silk does not stick to his skin, is lightweight and comfortable.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:49 AM
Julie

Cd, where does one find silk moneybelts. They sound perfect. I hate to be indelicate, but those things can get pretty grungy. Having one made of silk that could dry overnight would be excellent. Please tell us your supplier.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:07 AM
cd

Julie<BR>I remember ordering it but I don't remember from where. I'm sorry because it is perfect. After work today I will look and see if I can find the book.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Liz

http://www.eaglecreek.com/travel_accessories/40118.html

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Tom

John, first off, I hope you have a terrific time in Europe. (You mentioned it will be your first visit.)<BR><BR>About the passport, I would like to add to Fiona's advice about making copies. My passport disappeared while I was on a trip to Europe a few months ago, and the U.S. Embassy said it would not be able to issue a replacement unless I could produce a copy of my birth certificate. Logistically, this was easier said than done. I had my birth certificate at home but no one was there to send it to me.<BR><BR>I don't think I will necessarily take a copy of my birth certificate with me on my next trip overseas -- that seems risky in itself -- but I will definitely leave a copy with someone back in the States so it could be faxed to me if needed.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:40 AM
John

Thanks everyone for some great advice.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:47 AM
xxx3

If a faxed copy of a document is acceptable, then a photocopy should be, too, so you could take photocopies of your birth certificate as well as passport etc. Not sure what the big risk is in carrying birth certificate original or copy; for most people they're easily replaced if lost.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Tom

It's not a matter of whether the birth certificate can be replaced; it's the risk of identity theft if the birth certificate (original or copy) falls into the wrong hands.<BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:19 AM
xxx3

Are you kidding? Did you know that anybody can just write to city hall and order up any birth certificate they want?

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Tom

Not true. In the state where I am from, one needs very specific information to get a copy of a birth certificate, including the exact name, the date of birth, the mother's maiden name and the father's name.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -