Repost - Planning 6 day honemoon in Ireland...need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the second week of September we'll be flying in to Cork from London early afternoon. We will be renting a car and don't mind driving. We want to see as much of the country as we can, but afraid drive times may be off. This is our intinerary so far:

Day 1 - Rent car - drive from Cork to Kenmare - visit Killarney Nat'l Park. Stay at Sallyport House.
Day 2 - Drive on to Dingle and drive Dingle peninsula. Stay at Cill Bhreac.
Day 3 - Play round of golf and stay at Cill Bhreac.
Day 4 - Ferry to Doolin - possible trip out to Aran Islands if time permits. Visit Cliffs of Moher at sunset. Stay at Sea View.
Day 5 - Drive up to Connemara. Visit Kylemore Abbey. Stay at Ballynahinch Castle.
Day 6 - Drive down to Bunratty and visit castle. Stay at Dromoland Castle.
Day 7 - Fly out of Shannon in early afternoon.

Any advice or recommendations you may have are more than welcome! I am trying to nail down my reservations now. I am most concerned with the drive time from Doolin to Connemara and then back to Bunratty. Like I said, we don't mind being in the car and want to see as much as we can! Thanks so much!
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:27 PM

ttt
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 05:35 PM

My only comment is that it seems a shame to fly into Cork and then to miss all the great things that the south has to offer. But you must have decided that there were other things you wanted to see.

I think the itinerary looks fine. You might find the Aran Islands a bit of a stretch, but it looks like you're flexible.

Have a great honeymoon.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:37 PM

I think you are stretching yourselves a bit thin. I would cut out Connemara and spend another day in Kenmare. No way will you get to do the Aran Islands on day 4. Instead see the coast of Clare and the Burren.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

We were planning on going up to Connemara because of the great reviews of Ballynahinch and because I wanted to see Kylemore Abbey. This is the part of the trip that concerns me most just because it is such a drive and we are only staying one night. If we skipped this and stayed at Dromoland for two nights, what else is there to do in the area besides Bunratty?
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 01:29 PM

There is plenty to do in the Newmarket-on-Fergus area if you don't mind doing day trips. It depends on what you like seeing though.

As I said previously, another day in Kenmare would be perfect. If Sallyport can't accommodate you try The Lodge.

I notice you are mostly staying at upscale places with the exception of Dingle, which is an ordinary B&B. It might be a bit of a letdown after Sallyport House. Consider Emlagh House or Heaton's instead.

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM

Connemara's one of my favorite parts of Ireland, so I'd hate to think of you missing it.

It will be about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive from Doolin up to Recess, and about the same back to Bunratty. I'd do it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:26 PM

We were just at Ballynahinch Castle for a drink and to walk the maze out back. I wouldn't skip it for Bunratty.
Also stayed at the Sea View in Doolin. Great location; walk into "town" for meals, music, Don't forget to visit the Doolin Harbor, if the waves are crashing it's a great site.
Enjoy.
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:29 PM

Oh, we also flew out of Shannon early afternoon (actually around 3) and found that we could visit the Castle and Folk village that morning with enough time if you don't get to it the afternoon before. Loved Kenmare (used it as a base for Beara Penninsula, Connemara and Dingle. Would have stayed there more than 1 day if we did it again.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I have been tempted to change my plans mainly because I got an offer to stay at Dromoland for 3 days and 2 nights for $585 - that's basically what we will end up paying for one night. We could only do this if we skipped Ballynahinch and I just can't figure out whether it's worth it! Do we stick with the original plans and not miss out on Connemara and Kylemore Abbey, or take advantage of the savings and stay at a wonderful castle for another night? I am beyond indecisive right now...what would you fodorites do?
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM

realized my post was misleading. We used Kenmare as base for Beara only. AND we love connemara and dingle--where we would have stayed for more than one day. Sorry.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 04:24 PM

My last trip to Ireland was 3 years ago. We spent 3 nights in Connemara (Clifden). One day we were driving in the area as I was reading a travel guide that said this particular road had beautiful sites. I was thinking the sites looked alot like New Hampshire. Then we got closer to Kylemore Abby and it was the most amazing area I had seen during my trip. We walked the grounds at the Abby, but did not go inside. That being said, I thought 3 nights in Clifden was too much and we are not returning to that area in July. It was a long drive up there (we drove from Doolin). This time we are spending more time in each town and less time in the car.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 11:02 AM

If it was my honeymoon, I'd stay the extra day at the amazing hotel.

I'll have to admit I'm not a huge fan of Connemarra, we stayed for a week a few years ago in a cottage near Costelloe and explored the area fairly intensely. I'm glad we've been, but I wouldn't go again and I'd never spend my honeymoon trying to see it in a day and a half.

I also think Clifden is overrated, although we enjoyed Roundstone and Dog's Bay Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. The setting for Kylemore Abbey is impressive, but touring parts of it was a disappointment.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Suggest you go to Kenamre from Cork and spend some time in this area.
Take in Killarney National park, Muckross House and Farms etc. as well as Torc Waterfall on way to Dingle next day. You will still have time to drive over the Connor Pass into Dingle.
The next day you can drive out around Slea head as well as playing golf.
Have dinner in Fenton's Restaurant and say hello to the genial host(ess) Patricia.

Remebr that it will take you 1.5 to 2 hours to go from Dingle to Car ferry at tarbert and another 1.5 to 2 hours to get from Killimor on the other side of the Shannon to Doolin. So Doolin by afternoon. I would imagine nearest Aran Island Inishere or Inis OIr would not be possiblle at that stage on day trip -alternative to go and stay overnight - which I could highly recommend as an alternative. Really peaceful special place. Could beat Cliffs at Sunset.

Day five - travel coast road by Black head and Ballyvaughan to Kinvara and Galway. 1.5 hours or so.
At Maam Cross take right and visit Maam Valley and wend your way into Leenane -
From there go to Kylemore Abbey and Connemara National Park. Go back through Clifden and round by Roundstone if time allows and check in ballynahinch. Ballynahinch in itself is a beautiful place and deserves a bit of time to relax, unwind and explore some of the beautiful Autumn walks maybe ?

On the way down to Bunratty next day
stop off if you wish for a ramble in Coole Park - stretch the legs in the former estate of Lady gregory - great friend of W. B. Yeats who spent a lot of time here. Unfortuately the house is no longer there but the grounds are beautiful and there is a visitor centre.
Generally good to watch out for Duchas sites - always worth a visit.

Bunratty Castle is certainly worth a visit as is the folk park adjoining it.

Have a wonderful honeymoon !