Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what can I do in Portugal, Spain, South France, and Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:26 PM
Zack

This will be our second time to Europe. I am 15 and I am going with my mom who is 45. We love to get out at 8 or so in the morning and spend the whole day taking in the sights of the area we are in. Last summer we went to Germand, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, France, and England and had a blast. <BR> <BR>We are now planning a trip for this coming summer to Portugal, Spain, Italy, and southern France and Monaco. I have no idea really what to do there and we are just beginning our travel plans. We want to go to the major cities, but also some places throughout the countries that are worth visiting also. Little towns on the way are very interesting. We would also like to spend 2 or 3 nights in a resort town along the mediterranean somewhere. I speak Spanish and some French so it will be easier for us than some, but I really just need to know where to go! Please Help! Thanks alot, -Zack <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:41 PM
Robin

Hi Zack-- <BR> <BR>Since you are obviously comfortable on the web, the best place to start is by doing searches for the countries and cities you are asking about. Start on this forum, but then do the same thing on Alta Vista or Google, or whichever one you like. Every country and most major cities have a site aimed at tourists, and they are all promoting the wonderful things they have to offer. You may see another thread here titled "Get a Guidebook and Read It". Actually, that's good advice too. This forum will be more useful to you when you can ask specific questions-- it's really cool the unusual details that people here know about, but you won't get enough help with a very broad question like this one. <BR> <BR>It's great that you and your mom can do this stuff-- enjoy the planning too!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:33 PM
Chris

Hi Zack <BR> <BR>I think Cannes is better than Nice for beachgoing -- it's a smaller and more calm city, and the beaches are sand, not rock. However, the hotel beaches do charge fees, and they can be high! The hotel beaches in Nice do too, but I don't remember what they charged. <BR> <BR>There are two islands off Cannes, 15 minute boat ride (didn't have time for those -- we went for a weekend, and once I hit the beach, I didn't want to leave!) <BR> <BR>Nice is better for market shopping, seeing the sights, etc., and it is close to Monte Carlo (20 min train ride). It's busier than Cannes, and it's also less expensive than Cannes!! <BR> <BR>Monte Carlo is a day trip, at most. <BR> <BR>You could stop in Grasse or Eze and make your own perfume/cologne (something I wanted to do, but didn't get the chance --rats!) <BR> <BR>I really can't help you with Italy, nor can I help you with hotels, etc. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you direction with that stuff. I just wanted to give you a general peek at what's there. <BR> <BR>You and your mom have fun!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 03:59 AM
Martha

Zack, I think the best thing to do is spend about 4 weeks, and go to places such as the smaller towns and villages througout the countries. The northern lake district of Italy is beautiful and I have been there 3 times just because I love it so much. I agree with Chris, Cannes and Nice are both nice, but i prefer Nice (lower prices and beautiful beaches)

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Joe

¡Hola Zack! <BR> <BR>Yo soy profesor de español en el estado de Washington. Fui a España hace 3 veranos cuando era alumno universitario. Estudié en la ciudad de Salamanca y te la recomiendo con MUCHAS GANAS....¡es una ciudad preciosa y encantadora! Solo es viaje de (+/-) hora y media de Madrid al oeste hacia Portugal. Me gusta este lugar porque me senti bien seguro (no hay casi nada de crimen), es limpio, y no es tan grande -- podéis andar a cualquier lugar muy facilmente al conocer un mapa. <BR> <BR>Yo os recomiendo también las ciudades de Avila y Segovia. Estan en el estado de Castilla-Leon, donde esta Salamanca también. No sé lo familiar que eres con la geografia española.... ¿Y conoces bien el forma de "vosotros"? Se usa EXCLUSIVAMENTE alli. ¡No me permitieron usar el "ustedes"! ¡Ten cuidado! <BR> <BR>Aunque no he ido a estos lugares, entiendo que vale la pena ir a Granada, Valencia, y Alicante también. ¡Y no olvidéis pasar algo de tiempo en Madrid misma. No es sitio como apenas imaginas ahora mismo. ¡Es otro mundo en total! <BR> <BR>Et de la France...(je parle français aussi). Je suis allé la-bas duex fois, mais seulement a Paris y ses baneluieues (Versailles, Chartres, y des chateaux par example). J'ai visité les régions du Normandie et la Bretagne aussi il y a plus ou moins 10 ans. Mais je te dis que je n'ai jamais allais au Cote d'Azur. Desolé. Tu entends le français bien? <BR> <BR>Anyway.... hope you have a fantastic trip!! Please feel free to e-mail me with any Q's. ([email protected]) Especially as they pertain to España. I spent a month there. I plan to go back next summer as they offer Span. teachers scholarships to study during the summers. <BR> <BR>Otra vez,¡qué tengais buen viaje!