Reload this Page >

What avoid in Amsterdam?

Search

What avoid in Amsterdam?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 03:14 AM
ph

What avoid in Amsterdam?

What places do I should avoid in Admsterdam? I already know about the red light area, but I was thinking about the drugs, and parks, and...HELP-ME!! Thanks a lot in advance!

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 04:00 AM
Helena

In walking around the city center in April, I didn't notice any areas that seemed so bad as to warrant avoiding them. The red light area and the drug areas are not like you might imagine them to be -- during the day, especially, they're just regular streets. I didn't feel unsafe at all, and I don't think you need to worry about stumbling into something dangerous.

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 04:28 AM
russ

I feel safer in Amsterdam than in most American cities and never felt threatened, whether I was in the red-light district or anywhere else. But if you're apprehensive about Amsterdam and its reputation for seediness, perhaps there isn't much we can say to sway you, and you might enjoy a visit to some other Dutch towns instead. Delft is one very pleasant little place with personality, but there are many others, too.

Old Dec 16th, 1999, 09:36 AM
Sjoerd

Amsterdam is very safe. Just pay normal attention like you would at home, like avoiding little empty back streets at 4:45 AM. <BR>The Red Light District is also safe. <BR>

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 02:39 AM
francesca

Visiting Amsterdam and avoiding the red light district would be a big mistake! Do go. Just be aware, as you would anywhere else. It's a great city and quite safe.

Old Dec 17th, 1999, 02:50 AM
frank

Avoid changing money in places which appear to advertise "no commission on <BR>buying foreign currency".Remember Guilders are LOCAL currency.They will charge you 9.9%.Use Thomas Cooks in Dam Square if in doubt.A'dam is a safe city, <BR>you have more to worry about in London or Paris.(what's this about parks??) <BR>When you return please tell everyone how seedy it is, it keeps Mr & Mrs Bozo & the kids away & enhances your rep. as a fearless traveller.....

Old Dec 21st, 1999, 06:58 AM
moses

I live in New York City. I felt a hundred times more safe in A'dam then I did back home. A'dam is such a great place. I definetly reccomand going to the Red Light District or going into a coffeeshop(place that sells pot). It can be a wonderfull experience to see how free a city can be. <BR> <BR>What I would aviod is exchanging money at Thomas Cook in Central Station in the moring and noon. It is very very busy. Try the early morning or before closing. Usually the people that work there are more friendly. I would also aviod staying at a hotel if you are young. Try a hostel or a dirt cheap budget hotel. It can be a wonderfull experience meeting other travels.