Reload this Page >

What ATM works in Italy?

Search

What ATM works in Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:52 PM
pam

What ATM works in Italy?

There have been alot of postings lately about ATM's and pins. <BR>Can someone say DEFINITIVELY what Bank card they were using. <BR>It's clear from the posts and my own investigations, that Fleet is out for Italy( 6 digit-pins and an "it should work" attitude. <BR>Please...someone tell us what bank card REALLY works over there. <BR>Thanks so much <BR>

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 12:58 PM
Barbara

I used my Washington Mutual ATM card there last month with no problems at all.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Lesli

What bank issued your card is not relevant to ease of foreign ATM use. What IS necessary is that you have a 4-digit PIN (in numbers, not letters) and that your account be able to access the major networks such as Cirrus, STAR, Pulse, GloabalAccess, etc. My ATM card has all of these symbols on the back, and has worked for me at cash machines on several trips throughout Italy, France, and England. (I do not use a credit card at ATMs because of the interest charged from the moment the money is withdrawn, but in an emergency I could do so because my credit cards are also linked to Cirrus and/or STAR.) <BR> <BR>You should be able to change your PIN from 6 to 4 digits easily enough - contact your bank to request this.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 02:40 PM
Pat

Pam, <BR>As stated in a post elsewhere, I called Fleet yesterday to get a PIN for my credit card. Surprisingly, they did assign me a FOUR digit PIN. If you have not contacted them recently regarding the FOUR digit vs. SIX digit issue, you might want to try them again. <BR> <BR>Pat

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 02:50 PM
Capo

What Lesli said. My ATM card, issued through my credit union, has symbols on the back for "The Exchange", "Accel", "Maestro", and "Plus" and has worked everywhere I've tried it in Europe.

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 07:13 AM
Nedda

Make sure you're atm is to a checking account, I just got back last week and one of the people I was with brought her atm to her savings acct. and it did not work anywhere!!! However,the rest of us with our 4 digit, Bank of America,and Washington Mutual cards worked fine. <BR>good luck, nedda

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Ed

There are way too many ATMs in Europe and way too many cards held to tell you which work where! Doubt that God Herself knows. <BR> <BR>Most US cards will work with most European ATMS, and with unchanged PINs. But not all. <BR> <BR>What IS clear, despite what paper pushers in US banks often tell you, is that if your card is tied to your checking account and if it has a four-digit PIN, you've raised the likelihood of successful use to near 100%. If you'd like to keep your six digit PIN, the odds are good it will work with many machines ... but probably not all. If you only need money when the six digit PIN works, then you'll have no problem. <BR> <BR>If you think you might need money at other times, consider getting your PIN changed. <BR> <BR>twenj

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Linda

Ed, I caught that "God herself". I like your style.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Gerry

Topping for Michael