Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What area is best to stay in London for Christmas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten plenty of feedback on hotels in different areas that are nice and this has been very helpful... But I have another question. If you were to stay in London for Christmas Day and Boxing Day what area would you pefer? Given that these days are dead, you are in a hotel and at least would enjoy something to eat and some sightseeing?
Would you say Mayfair/Soho, Bloomsbury/Marble Arch, Kensington/Earls Court/Knightsbridge or any other???? Thanks again guys!!!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 04:35 AM

Nowhere is much good in London on those days, but I think you have a choice. The places you list are good if you plan long walks in the City and West End, and Covent Garden and Strand hotels (I have a list) are good for walks into the City (the business area). But for life in pubs and restaurants and Londoners walking on the streets, you might look somewhere where people live, such as Hammersmith, Richmond, Wimbledon, or Islington. From Boxing Day evening these places have good local and fringe theatres, too.

[email protected]
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 10:44 AM

I think if you're only going to be there on those 2 days, you should first decided what you'd like to do & then pick a hotel based on that. There have been so many threads both this year & Last on what to do/see at that time. Here's a link to one

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34429690

From that thread I think is this URL with places that are open

http://www.hospitalityline.co.uk/xmas/index.htm

BTW, I thought your idea of a Fodor's get together on that day was a good one. Why not start a thread as you mentioed & see how many might be interested?
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Mclaurie, I just might do that about the thread. Really all I want to do is sightsee a bit and grab a bite or two. I told my husband these would be 2 true vacaction days since we won't be doing much of anything except relaxing... we don't mind really since we come from the busy Miami life and anywhere we go is a vacation and we always have fun and make the best of it!
Sit back a bottle of wine and cheers!! I was planning on bidding for a nicer hotel on Priceline and those are some of the area options they offer and I wanted to know which to pick!
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 01:00 PM

What is the most "open" area in London on Dec. 25 and Dec. 26, in terms of businesses? Any district in particular?