Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are your favorite things to bring home from London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 11:05 AM
Sheila

I am planning a trip for next June to London and always love to bring home items from the area i am visiting. I usually pick up postcards, a picture frame and an ornament. What other things would be great to bring home to remember my trip or for my friends. This is my first trip to England and I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 12:05 PM
april

Good thread, Sheila. I'll also be going to London for the first time in March and am curious about what to bring back for loved ones in the way of souvenirs. Any good suggestions from those of you who have been there?

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 01:56 PM
emily

I London, have been there 3x and am itching to go again but have no vacation - maybe if I change jobs I can squeeze in a trip. Shopping in London is great. I buy a Scottish outfit, toffee, posters from the London transport museum, little double decker bus - missed getting the phone booth but I have a 4' high one that is a CD storage unit. I like a scarf with London pictures to use as a table topper. last time I bought a blue mohair throw ffor my bed at Windsor. i have a Big Ben magnet on my fridge - I go for a mixture of touristy and quality. I also have a London bus X mas ornament. Have a great time.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 02:22 PM
elvira

London museums and historical sights have incredible shops. At the Tower of London: poster of the British Royal Familty tree (only way I've found to keep the James's and Charles's straight); reproductions of old jewelry; prints of London; quill pen.<BR>British Museum: repros of Egyptian artifacts; Rosetta Stone print and paperweight.<BR>British Library: reprints of Beatle lyrics, the Magna Carta, Handl scores.<BR>Courtcauld Gallery: reprints; mousepads and fridge magnets; Christmas cards and notecards<BR>Hampton Court: just go to their kitchen shop.<BR><BR>From Harrod's: teas, coffee, Michelin travel guides, the latest British thriller (like the last Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse), jigsaw puzzles, Harrod's totebag, stationery

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 02:24 PM
Lori

If you or friends like things to eat packaged in interesting cans (tins) pick up goodies at Harrod's, they have a wonderful selection, reasonably priced too, of candies, cookies, biscuits, etc. They make nice gifts. <BR>You can also purchase knick knacks made by Wedgewood, Aynsley, etc. in most dept. store china departments. I never buy anything large tho as it has to fit in my carryon!

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 02:42 PM
marty

Sheila: I have been to London several times, and I have bought a lot of the things listed, but my favorite is a brass rubbing that I did at St. Martins of the Field. I had it framed when I got home. I also picked up some antique post cards of London sites that I found at Covent Gardens antique market which is only held on Monday. The also looked good framed together.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 03:02 PM
Sheila

Thanks for all the great ideas and please keep them coming. Happy New Year to everyone.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 03:29 PM
rlk

Go to Fortnum & Mason (isn't this the Queen's grocer?) for wonderful tea or biscuits and other packaged items. <BR>For a unique and oh-so-touristy item, buy a "Mind the Gap" T-Shirt --- also, there's a variety of items that have 'mind the gap' written on them. You'll understand after you use their subway system (the tube). <BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 06:49 PM
betsy

Save up a little money before you go and buy yourself something really nice at Liberty of London. You won't be sorry!

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 08:34 PM
Q.P.

Among my favorite treasures to bring back from Britain are spoken word audiotapes featuring British actors: Kenneth Branagh reading Pepys' Diary, for instance, or Robert Hardy reading Patrick O'Brian's novels. Many of these are just impossible to find in the States. For instance, in Britain (but not in the U.S.) the narrator of the Harry Potter audiobooks is Stephen Fry and his reading is indescribably marvelous; we've listened to them over and over again. Stop into any Waterstone's bookshop and you'll find many such treasures. <BR> <BR>Q.P.

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 08:38 PM
s.fowler

I second Elvira's comments about the museum shops. My "fave" is a Rosetta Stone mousepad from the bristish Museum

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 10:28 PM
Joanne

Sheila: I always bring home a Christmas tree ornament from everywhere we visit. In London I found little felt figures of Queen's Horse Guards, Beefeaters, Henry VIII and his wives, etc. <BR> <BR>On our visits to Scotland and England we started bringing home leather bookmarks. They have them in most churches and abbey ruins, and most sights of interest. I have quite a collection and just recently brought one home from Bermuda (which is very British). Also bought one in Florence from a street vendor. They make nice mementos and are so easy to bring home.

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 04:59 AM
Judy

Sheila: Great tips for me too! I especially like the Brass rubbings and museum treasures. Thanks all, Judy <BR>Will be going to London soon, can't wait!

Old Jan 1st, 2001, 06:15 AM
Sheila

Great idea QP about the audiotapes. I would have never thought about that one. I am so excited as of today I have exactly 5 months and 7 days before my trip. I still have tons of planning. Thanks everyone.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 04:19 AM
Sheila

To The Top for more great answers.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 04:25 AM
Beer Hound

As I am a big fan of the English pubs I find that various bar towels like they use in the pubs make neat accessories for my home bar. I also like to pick up things at Fortnum and Mason, especially their jellies and jams. Another good item, and free at that, are the coasters used in some of the pubs that advertise the English beers and ales. I have also brought back the authentic beer glasses, in both pint and 1/2 pint sizes, which are nice because they have the official government measure and crown stamped on them.

Old Jan 2nd, 2001, 07:12 AM
Kimerley

Sheila, buy a "GB" sticker for your car's rear window. Great Fridge magnets of beefeater's etc available throughout London. <BR>I bought a winter scarf from Liberty, go to their sale room and find a bargain. <BR>Green Wellington's (Gumboots), they are available everywhere, I just could not get my size last time. <BR>I'll be in London this May and can't wait to get there......

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 11:57 AM
carolyn

You can get prints of famous paintings at the National Gallery. The Tower of London gift shop has different Christmas ornaments; mine is a flat velvet and pearl crown.

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 12:23 PM
stacey

This is more for Beer Hound - Last time I was in Ireland, I spent loads of time collecting beet mats - only to walk into a cheesy tourist shop and find an a pre-packaged assortment for practically nothing. (I kept my 'real' ones though)

Old Jan 3rd, 2001, 12:50 PM
Burta

Cheese from Neal's Yard Dairy near Covent Garden. To pass U.S. customs, though, the cheeses need to be a pasteurized variety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -