What are you reading????

Search

What are you reading????

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you reading????

Not a travel question, but I need it for my travels. I want a good book for my trip to London/France. It does have to be related to my trip, but it coulde be. I just finished The Kite Runner (WOW), The Other Boleyn Girl (so fun) Middlesex (Didn't like) and Queen Of Dreams (almost as good as her other books). What are YOU reading?????Laura
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Hello, Laura, I am reading this website, starting with Zurich. Then Interlaken and Zermatt. By the time I finish with Fodor's and the Internet I'll have to pack. Cheese and chocolates, here I come!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

But I can't take it with me :'(. I do spend more time reading here than any place else.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:37 PM

I'm reading the 3rd volume of a biography about Graham Greene, but they are three very thick volumes--not suitable for travelling light.

But you might try something by Greene, one of the best 20th century British writers.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Yes, you can. It's called "Laptop" >
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:49 PM

I'm reading Frommer's Bermuda (surprising my husband next week for his 40th). I think I'll get The Kite Runner for the plane since several people have recommended it.

How about A Tale of Two Cities? If you haven't already seen Meredith's great thread, it will give you lots of great ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...hText=Meredith
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:15 PM

Besides Paris guide books, a Georges Simenon mystery, Maigret in Montmartre. I found these wonderful photos online, where someone had searched out all the places in the book:

http://www.trussel.com/maig/steps4.htm

Sandy
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:33 PM

FainaAgain,
Have you seen the following website where you can download books?

http://www.gutenberg.org/

You probably knew, but I didn't, that you can also download books onto a PDA. I couldn't believe how many books my son put on his... it's so small.

Sandy
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:35 PM

Hi panucci/Laura, I am halfway through a book that you might enjoy since you are going to France.

It is "Life in a Postcard" by Rosemary Bailey.

It written by an Englishwoman from London who purchased an old monastary in the French Pyrenees.

I have found it to be quite an interesting book with a lot of historical references to the area of Catalan.

Enjoy preparing for your trip.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:40 PM

I'm reading..scanning..Paris in a Basket and A Goose in Toulouse!

Just finished another H V Morton ..In Search ofScotland Again..If you've never seen or heard of H V MOrton..look for him! The most wonderful . literate , exciting travel books..even tough they ar 50 or more years old!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:47 PM

I'm reading 'The Agony and the Ecstasy', which is a biography of Michelango - but really interesting. It will take me forever to read, really small print that I can't see on my treadmill which is where I get most of my reading done! I just finished 'Sea Glass' and 'All He Ever Wanted' by Anita Shreve. Liked them both. Light reads.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
annieladd

I loved the Kite Runner as well. I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible, Barbara Kingsolver, and enjoying it very much. I recently saw "A Girl Named Zippy" at Costco, and I loved that book as well.

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 04:56 PM

Mostly guidebooks and this forum - since I'm obsessed with my upcoming May trip to France. I've been ashamed of myself, so got out an ancient copy of "Atlas Shrugged" to reread, as I remember loving that book back in my olden days. I can't get anywhere with it, as the guidebooks keep calling. However, one of those guidebooks is really great - "Three Rivers of France" - by Freida White, updated by Michael Busselle. This book is highly recommended if you're contemplating a trip to the Dordogne. It's out of print, but I got at the library. I wanted my own copy, so searched on the web, and finally found a used copy - but expensive!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:16 PM

I'm going to Sevilla in about a week for Semana Santa - have been reading Michener's "Iberia". Just finished the chapter on Sevilla - wow. It really whetted my anticipation - and gave me some good tips.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions. In the morning I'm printing this and the other thread MVOR mentioned and taking them to Barnes and Noble. Has anyone read Year of Wonder? It was recommended by one of my students.
Sue4 and Carta_Pisana enjoy your travels!
Thanks again, Laura
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Anything by Nick Hornsby will get you in the mood for London. Or try Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson for another taste of England. Peter Mayle for France.

Year of Wonder was good, but got a little too far fetched at the end I thought.

I just got done with The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron, a prep for Barcelona in 38 days!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Just finished The Bookseller of Kabul and am about to start Choices in Vichy France. I'm also periodically drooling over the photos in France From the Air.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:05 PM

One of the best I've read is Ken Follett's 'Pillars of the Earth." Takes place in medieval England with some France thrown in. Excellent read.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Meant to say try anything by Peter Mayle for France, that wasn't to clear. I recommend A Very Good Year if you are a wine lover.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:15 PM

On the night-stand lies "Free World: America, Europe, and the Surprising Future of the West" by Timothy Garton Ash. I'm absolutely loving it. Mr. Ash is not only a brilliant mind, he's a great writer.

Near the love-seat is "Marcella Says... : Italian Cooking Wisdom from the Legendary Teacher's Master Classes, with 120 of Her Irresistible New Recipes" by Marcella Hazan and Victor Hazan. I have personal history with Marcella and this book makes me feel warm and fuzzy. It also makes me hungry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -