Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are you favorite restaurants near the Pantheon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents will be staying at the Albergo del Senato, and i'd like to recommend some good restaurants within walking distance to their hotel. It's their first trip to Rome.

thanks!
dina
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM

Sorry I don't have a specific name for you, but we enjoyed lunch at one of the many outdoor cafe's lining the Pantheon. Hopefully others can supply you with specific restaurant info. But, for cafe's, your parents will be able to wander around the Pantheon and the Piazza Navona among other places and stumble into lots of good options. Melissa
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:43 AM

dina, my husband and I just stayed at the Senato over Christmas and there are a huge number of restaurants within 10 minutes' walk, so they will have no trouble finding great places close by. The Senato staff can tell your parents which restaurant on Piazza della Rotunda is the best one - we didn't go there, but others on this board have given good reviews.

For a more casual meal we really enjoyed Vecchia Locanda at Vicolo Sinibaldi 2.

For a more expensive, fancier meal we went to Sangallo, at Vicolo della Vaccarella 11A, which specializes in seafood and buffalo products. We had an incredible 8-course tasting menu here on Christmas Eve!
http://www.ristorantesangallo.com/

We also really liked the looks of Il Bacaro but couldn't get in because we didn't have a reservation.
http://ilbacaro.com/

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:21 AM

I can highly recommend La Sangrista. Fabulous pizza. Go early, (7:30), it fills up very quickly. We were the only english-speaking family there, a good sign, IMO.If you are facing the Pantheon, go left on via Seminaria (SP?) They will enjoy the del Senato and the location.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 07:46 AM

Perhaps they might like to try a little place "La Pigna"-good,simple food and reasonablly priced, on Piazza Della Pigna, behind Church Santa Maria Sopra Minerva, a very short walk from Pantheon.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:04 AM

dina4:

I ate at a solid place last May near the Pantheon — Osteria del Sostegno on the via delle Colonnelle. You go down a little alley, and there it is. It was excellent, straightforward fare. I had taglioni with porcini mushrooms, chicken in white wine sauce with potatoes, a sturdy Barolo, and a grappa. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. The waiter came by with a small, complementary plate of ravioli, which was a charming touch. It has a website: www.ilsostegno.it

Another restaurant, actually closer to Campo de Fiori, but also a lot of fun was La Tartaruga (The Turtle) on via del Monte della Farina. I had some really good veal there. I asked the sweet woman who waited on me about the various types of veal on the menu. Her exuberant father, the owner, came by with an enormous book on veal and tried to answer my questions though he spoke almost no English and I don’t speak any Italian — but, again, it was another winning touch.

I’ll always remember these gestures of friendship.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:44 AM

I don't recall the name of it, but there's a bistro on the northwest corner of Rue Soufflot and Rue St-Jacques that serves the best <i>steak frites</i> in town.

What?

Oh. Never mind.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:46 AM

bookmarking
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Tre Scalini at Piazza Navona. Be sure to have a tartufo for dessert!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:06 AM

July will be our first trip and we're staying here as well!

bookmarking.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:07 AM

<b>How to bookmark this (or any other thread)</b>

Put your mouse on the thread title, in this case &quot;What are you favorite restaurants near the Pantheon?&quot;

Click the right mouse button. You will see a dropdown menu containing &quot;Bookmark This Link&quot; or &quot;Add to Favorites...&quot; or some such language. Click on it and follow the instructions.

If you want to name the bookmark with the thread title, you can change it during the subsequent process.

Now you can go straight to your favorite threads without adding extraneous crap to them.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM

Ralston:

La Sangrista! Loved it, loved it, loved it!

You're the only other person I've seen mention it on these boards. We had lunch there several times: margarita pizza with a side of baby artichokes in balsamic. Hands down, best pizza of our trip. We also had dinner there one night...we were the only Americans, too.
Wonderful menu, seriously good food.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Armando al Pantheon. I think that's the name. Look for ekscrunchy's trip report; she's been there also and can describe the food much better than I ever could.

I've had a number of excellent meals at different restaurants in that general area after doing minimal research but that was before I got hooked on Fodor's, so I never wrote anything down. Once the staff at Del Senato recommended a place and I was (typically) skeptical but it turned out to be great.

I hope your parents enjoy their trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM

We ate at a very small and unassuming restaurant near the Pantheon called Maccheroni.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:36 AM

I second Armando's
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:45 AM

I third Armando's and add Antonio al Pantheon to the list - been there twice and loved it both times. It's a hopping place!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much everyone for all these great responses in one day!

i will make a nice list for them.

Robespierre, too bad they're not also going to Paris...

dina
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 09:02 PM
jgg

We have eaten at Il Bacaro twice and loved it both times. Also recommend Obika a mozzerella bar. (www.obika.it)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Spent a week for business in the Pantheon area and had two dinners (organized by locals) at Trattoria Tosca on Largo dei Chiavari. Informal, delicious, reasonable, very Roman. Was tempted to go back a third time.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:09 AM

JeanneB-

If you are still following this thread, I wanted to let you know I found La Sangrista from your trip report! I never properly thanked you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -