Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the best things to do/places to go in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 10:52 AM
Paula

I am going to Paris for the first time in April. I will be there for about a week, and I am staying with a friend in the Latin Quarter. Which areas should I concentrate on the in city? I love museums, sightseeing, shopping, and dining. It just seems there is so much to do. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Dominique

Hi Paula, <BR> <BR>You are very lucky to be going to Paris in the Spring. Since it's your first time I would recommend all of the main sightseeing highlights for your first couple of days. As you explore you will be able to get a sense of areas you like best. Good luck, and Enjoy your trip!

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 11:45 AM
elaine

Hi Paula <BR>I'm not quite understanding--is the friend that you will be staying with already living in the Latin Quarter, or are you going together for the first time? <BR>If your friend already lives there, that will be your best guide. <BR>If you are both traveling there, any good guidebook will give you great suggestions. You can also do a Seach on this forum for Paris sights and find a wealth of information. If you have any interest in my Paris sightseeing notes, feel free to email me. <BR>good luck

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Lori

My advice is to read all you can about Paris and then make a list of what you want to see. Include on that list the days and times that the sights are open so that you don't miss any. Break it down to Must Sees, Would like to see, and If I have time. Then each night over a glass of wine in a cafe, plan the next day's itinerary. As you see each sight simply cross it off of the list. You will find that there is so much to see and do in Paris that one trip will not suffice. You will become hopelessly addicted, just like so many others of us on this board.

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 12:59 PM
elvira

Museums: the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Rodin Museum, Picasso Museum <BR>Monuments: Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, St Chapelle, Sacre Coeur <BR>Sightseeing: Left Bank quais for the bouquinistes, Ile-St-Louis, Bateau Mouche (boat ride on the Seine), stroll through the 16th arrondissement for the architecture of the homes; Pere Lachaise Cemetery <BR>Shopping: Galeries Lafayette and le Printemps (department stores, upscale), La Samaritaine (department store for the masses), Bon Marche (department store for old money), BHV for killer hardware, rue de Rivoli for souvenirs (check out Gault for miniature buildings), funky clothes on Blvd St Michel and Blvd St Germain (and pretty much throughout the Latin Quarter), designer salons Avenue Montaigne environs (Chanel is at 31, rue Cambon in the 1st), Fauchon for foodstuffs (Galeries Lafayette also has a great food department). <BR>Dining: Chinese and Vietnamese food is wonderful; so's pizza. Every restaurant has a menu posted outside so you can decide before walking in if it's what you want; try to find a restaurant on a side street off the tourist path for dining like the Parisians; stop for a coffee or glass of wine around 4 (Parisians don't eat before 7, and usually closer to 9); breakfast is coffee, tea or hot chocolate and rolls/bread/croissants with butter and jellies <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2000, 01:05 PM
Carol

To expand on Lori's suggestion, when making my lists, I also try to organize what I want to see geographically(grouping the sights that are near each other). This helps a lot with planning.