Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are some of the things you really like about France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been a bit of France bashing and this thread is not about "my country is better than your country". However, there are some things we really like about France - things that make us say, "Yes... that makes sense."
1. I love the way the drivers stay in the right lane on the motorways and use the left lane for passing only. As soon as they pass, back to the right.
2. They bring the credit card machine to your table. It is a wireless remote thingy. I hate when waiters disappear out of sight with my credit card. Why don't we do this?
Care to add to the list?
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM

I so agree with #2-bringing the credit card reader to your table. I saw that two years ago in Paris and expected it to become common in the US soon...but it hasn't.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:35 PM

The language, the food, the people, the markets, the croissants and baguettes.....the art, the literature, the cheese..I hope to add lots of things after my first trip to the Dordogne that everyone has been helping me with.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM

The way they guft wrap even the most inexpensive little items.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:43 PM
sandi

The credit card thingy! I first saw these, believe, 8-years ago in France.
It's sure taking a long while to see these on this side of the Atlantic?

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM

The politeness of the people.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:51 PM

The food!
The wine!
The beautiful, charming villages!
The beautiful, charming women!
The mellifluous language!

Like carrom, I am truly looking forward to my Dordogne valley sojourn.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
ira

Hi all,

So far, you are describing Western Europe, not France (except for croissants and baguettes).

Paris is in France.

Normandy is in France.

The Dordogne is in France.

Burgundy is in France.

Alsace is in France (at least, for now).

IMHO, these are all unique.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

I love the way the shop keepers greet you and you greet them when you enter their store... and it's a formal greeting as opposed to "Hi. My name's Skippy and I am going to be your server tonight."
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:07 PM

The beautiful light on the Seine at a certain hour.

The lights on the Eiffel Tower.

Cheese courses.

Bistro/brasserie food and style

The lovely pastries

The accents
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:13 PM
Neopolitan

Not just in France, but pretty much all over Europe, they let the check-out cashiers in supermarkets sit down while they work. Why is that beyond the scope of US intelligence?

And I so agree about those credit card machines in restaurants. With increasing cases in the US of stolen CC identity often tracked to restaurant use, it seems the sooner they can figure that out in the US the better.

Oh, and their language is so much prettier than ours.

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

How about the fact that at a restaurant the table is yours for the evening? They don't try to turn the table.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:20 PM

I love all things French pretty much.

The romantic and beautiful language... the long dinners with lots of wine and several courses...the slower pace of life...the way shops close down at noon for the mid-day meal...dogs in restaurants (and everywhere else),
...Monoprix!...croissants au chocolat...cafes and patisseries, and the delicious ham/cheese grilled sanwiches they serve...open markets...the Louvre...

I cherish every place and city I have visited in France, including Paris, the Riveria, Montpellier, Provence, Loire Valley, Avignon, Arles,....

I have to force myself to stop.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM

I love seeing the monuments and bridges lit up at night.
For some reason, my husband was crazy about the little tabacs where the men have expresso in the morning, and their drink later in the day.
I was raised in the Pac NW where there weren't stone walls, etc., so I love seeing the espaliered trees, and flowering shrubs against the stone bories, etc.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 05:48 PM

I'm supposed to be packing for Beijing tomorrow, but I'm having trouble resisting this thread.

I'd echo a lot of what has been said already, but would add a few more:

- French history; I don't know why, but I find it fascinating.

- the way they use space in France. This is very hard to describe, but I like the abrupt transition from country to village. You're driving along through farms and suddenly enter a village. The village itself is compact, almost crowded. The second you drive out of the village, you're back in the country. There isn't as much sprawl as we see in North America.

- with very few exceptions, the neatness and tidiness of the landscape. There seem to be fewer billboards and fewer junked vehicles around.

- speaking specifically of Paris, I find the width of the streets and the proportions of the buildings--their height, shape, and setback from the street--very appealing. (I suppose I'm really talking about the Haussmann influence here, but those shapes and proportions struck a chord with me when I first saw them in 1975 and have stayed in my mind ever since.)

Anselm
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 06:02 PM

I agree with everything said so far. Reading what AnselmAdorme said:
<i>speaking specifically of Paris, I find the width of the streets and the proportions of the buildings--their height, shape, and setback from the street--very appealing.</i>

I am reminded of how most of the skyscraper/high rises are relegated to the outskirts of the city. Also, I love how they try to preserve as many of their historical buildings as possible.

I love how they are silent in the movie theatres the moment the lights go down. Went to a movie last night &amp; a jibber-jabberer sat right behind moi (naturellement!)

There are some others but for some reason they escape me right now.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Besides all the obvious beauty of the city it's how it makes a woman feel, like lovely like you'd like to be, the way the Frenchmen look at you in that subtle way, The poise of the French women. I could always spot a tourist . She's writing in a journal. The French woman is not embarressed to be alone to enjoy her food and drink. A tourist If she wears a large diamond. Rich Frenchwoman only wear their jewels for special dinners not at a caf&eacute;, though I see the Swiss do, The two hour lunch break when you can relax and not hurry and enjoy the French around you. The life style in general, which is how we live, a special place for fish, for bread, for sweets and wine with meals.
Gael Greene said, &quot;I love Paris in how often it stands up to my romantic dreams.&quot;
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:42 PM

I HATE everything about France.
Hate the country, hate the people.
Hate the Americans who like France.

How much have we given to them, where are they when we needed them?

NOWHERE!
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:53 PM

a frenchman told me once when I told him my ancestor came over with Lafyette..oh you have saved your own country...

we paid THEM back in WW2...Bush is on his own for this one
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
coolcamden, that is very cruel and sad you have so much hate,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -