Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What "American" gift to bring to England?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:16 PM
XXX

I am adding to the other post...my question is: What is a cute, cheap gift ($10-15) to bring to an adult in England that they can't get in UK? Something distinctly American? Any ideas?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Susan

Being from California, we brought our Scottish relatives California wine. They enjoyed it with us ;-).

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:20 PM
XXX`

I am in Rhode Island...no great wines to share... thanks for the tip though, it was a good one!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:38 PM
Ellen

What about a coffee table book with pictures of the beautiful Rhode Island beaches and landscape?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:40 PM
r

xxx; Hmmm. That's a tough one. How about a picture book of New England with some history, etc.--since you're from Rhode Island. Or a cookbook with New England style recipes. It depends on who you are bringing it to and what their tastes are. Baseball caps are distinctly American! 501's are distinctly American but cost more than 10-15 dollars. Good Luck!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Mike

RI is in New England, so a Super Bowl champion New England Patriots jersey!!!

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 12:45 PM
xxx

How about a calendar of New England. Or some pancake mix and a nice bottle of maple syrup.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:04 PM
elaine

There are many mousepads out there with<BR>pictures of Americana, whether that's American scenery, a portrait of Lincoln, Mickey Mouse, whatever

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:08 PM
XXX

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions...I was also thinking of a Yankee Candle...

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 01:15 PM
LizF

If the person smokes then you could take them some of your specially blended Virginia tobacco. <BR>Last time I was up your way I saw some lovely crafty things that were especially American. <BR>Someone had a nice idea of a cook book from R.I. and that would be nice too. I am sure that whatever you take will be appreciated very much.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 04:49 PM
gail

We live near Boston and gave some American Revolution related thing to British friends - but they would have to have the right sense of humor to appreciate it.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:56 PM
jpm

Being from the South, I have taken people bags of Grits! Try to take something that is uniquely regional from where you live - I also second the cookbook idea.<BR><BR>jpm

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Leslie

If you're from New England, how about a few cans of Snow's New England Clam Chowder? I think Legal Seafood sells its own clam chowder in glass jars.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Leslie

If you're from New England, how about a few cans of Snow's New England Clam Chowder? I think Legal Seafood sells its own clam chowder in glass jars.<BR><BR>Also, there are some very nice award-winning fruit wines from Concord, Massachusetts. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the vineyard.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:18 PM
jeri

When we stayed with friends in Windsor they asked us to bring them fruit Loops. So we did! Cheap enough, but not handy to carry on the plain.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 07:26 PM
M. Giggle

I second the idea of an American regional cookbook -- be sure to add a set of American measuring spoons and cups.<BR><BR>My cooking friends over there are always delighted to get these, to save having to figure out U.S. recipes with a calculator!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 02:24 AM
andrew

One thing work colleagues bring back from the US that we love here in my office are your deluxe jelly beans in amazing flavours like chocolate pudding and cranberry - easy to carry and very addictive!<BR><BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:30 AM
chris

hey Andrew did you know Harrod's has a huge selection of Jelly Belly's? Of course they do cost a bit more then in the States.<BR><BR>I got my English Husband addicted to Jelly Belly's, so it's now when of the "staples" we bring back with us from the U.S. Root beer is unique, though definitely an acquired taste. Mmmm, clam chowder, now there's something I haven't had a long time...

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 04:53 AM
andrew

Chris - thanks for the tip - looks like I may have to make a shopping expedition to Knightsbridge!!<BR><BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Julie

Chris,<BR><BR>When I was reading your post I thought you were talking about a clam chowder jelly bean! There's a disgusting thought. Sounds like something for those Harry Potter Every Flavor Beans...<BR><BR>Julie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -