Reload this Page >

what about the eurostar?

Search

what about the eurostar?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 01:24 PM
patty

what about the eurostar?

What is the eurostar like? iS it expensive and can you enjoy the scenery or does it go too fast?

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 02:38 PM
Louis

The last time I took the Eurostar was in '96 and I bought the ticket in Paris. You can buy your ticket here in the States, however, and save some money. Try the Raileurope.com and see what you can get. I think it's better to buy here than there because I've gotten better prices. <BR> <BR>Insofar as the scenery is concerned, the stuff real close to the train, power poles, trees, etc., go by too fast, but you won't be focusing on that; you'll be looking at the countryside and it's just as perceptible as if you were being pulled along by a 40mph steam locomotive. Now, in England the train didn't go any faster than 130kph; that's about 80mph. I don't know if the English have upgraded their rail lines to accommodate the higher speeds of the train on the French side.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 03:00 PM
RK

Where will you be traveling? <BR> <BR>I've taken the Eurostar train from Rome down to Naples - it's a quick and wonderfully SMOOOOOOTH ride. <BR>It's not one of the most scenic routes, but to the extent that you cruise thru a part of Italy, I was happy with being able to "see" the scenery.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:22 PM
Ben Haines

Fodpors <BR> <BR>Eurostar is expensive. Their web site will show you some of their prices, though at slack seasons they make special offetrs in the London newspapers and on billboards, to attract local passengers. they do not reveal these on the web. Thye trip takes 3 1/2 hours, and si convenient. <BR> <BR>If you use the service rail sea rail from Charing Cross Station the fares are: Brussels Single 37 pounds or 60 dollars, five day return 49 pounds or 79 dollars, two month return 65 pounds or 104 dollars <BR>Paris Single 39 pounds or 63 dollars, five day return 49 pounds or 79 dollars, two month return 59 pounds or 195 dollars. <BR>You book these at the easternmost window in London Charing Cross Station. The tickets are valid also between London Victoria and Dover, which follows the Dover Rosad f the Romans and of the Canterbury Pilgrims, has the better scenery, so you can ask the clerk for a departure time from Victoria. The trip takes seven or ight hours, with free bus transfers at the ports. <BR> <BR>The Eurostar passes Kent at the same rather low speed as the train from Victoria, though through duller country. It offers no view of cliffs and castle at Dover and no shipboard lunch, and speeds through northetrn France (admittedly dull country) too fast to catch the scenery. <BR> <BR>The fastest trains in Italy are called Eurostar Italia. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 03:45 AM
Myriam

Like Ben said, the Eurostar is indeed expensive. We took it from Brussels to London and paid nearly as much as a plane ticket. We found it to be boaring. Next time when we go to London it will be either by ferry (with our car) or by plane.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 05:27 AM
Jeanie

There are other Eurostar lines than the trip from Paris to London. We took the Eurostar twice from Brussels to Paris and it was much faster, well worth the money. We also did the Naples-Rome line and it was a great trip. I don't regret paying the extra money at all. Yes, it does go faster but not so fast that you can't see anything out the window. Plus it is much much smoother.

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 02:05 PM
Paulo

When travelling relatively long distances along the main lines IN ITALY, you may almost discard "normal" trains (Express and InterRegional train trips take too long). You'd either travel on the Eurostar or on the Intercity train. The fare difference between the two (1st or 2nd class) is not that much ... For instance, <BR>Rome-Naples: Lit 10,000 approximate difference <BR>Rome-Venice: Lit 13,000 <BR>I'd take the Eurostar IN ITALY ... <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2000, 10:15 PM
Myriam

<BR>Just to clear things out: When we in Northern Europe speak about Eurostar we mean the route London / Paris or London / Brussels. The name "Eurostar" is printed on the trains. <BR> <BR>The fast train Brussels / Paris is called Thalys (name also printed on the trains) and is indeed a very comfortable and very fast connection.