Reload this Page >

What about the Backpacks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 12:23 PM
Ken

Wife and I were all set to visit Europe the Rick Steves way - conversion pack over the shoulder or on the back. With the new scrutiny and restrictions, is anyone still considering traveling this way? How do you travel real light without checking any bags now? Are there any backpacking kids still around?

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 12:28 PM
Bob Brown

On our most recent trip, completed on Sept 21, my wife opted to use her back pack as her carry on rather than her rolling suitcase. It really does not matter what you use, it will probably be searched. And yes, people still have carry-on luggage. I would not be without it because you never know when you might be separated from your checked luggage as we were on the return trip. <BR>(We missed our connection in Charlotte and had to spend the night. The delay was blamed on weather.)

Old Oct 13th, 2001, 03:48 PM
ger

Ken: <BR> <BR>Just to warn you that it may be difficult to bring large luggage on board today. When in Europe a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that some EU airlines had changed their carry-on baggage rules: one UK airline had actually restricted carryon to a purse! This may be a short-term move and it certainly does vary between countries and airlines but you would do well to check ahead of time if you have connecting flights in Europe. <BR> <BR> <BR>Regards

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:37 AM
bridget

Just returned from Italy and we used largish rolling backpacks with zip off day bags. We travelled on Air France. They said only one carry-on per person and a purse was considered a carry on. So I managed to pack another smaller backpack type purse in the carry-on. My luggage was never searched, my husband's bag was searched once leaving Philly, because they said it was packed so tightly they couldn't see anything on the x-ray. They were impressed with his packing skills. However when we got on the planes people had 2 or 3 items with them. Luggage, backpacks, purses and store bags-this was leaving the US and coming home. We had bought enough to need another bag coming home and we checked my original backpack so I could carry on the new bag but I probably could have gotten on the plane with both.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:42 PM
Cassie

My husband and I just returned from Italy on October 4. We started in Venice took train to Florence, rented a car and spent several days in Tuscany, then dropped car off in Pisa and took a train to Cinque Terre and then back to Venice. We used the Eagle Creek switchback rolling suitcase/convertible packback for each of us and it was wonderful! Plus each suitcase had the detachable daypack/backpack. We easily fit enough clothes in the 22 inch one for 10 days and we carried it on all of our Delta and Air France flights. We didn't want to check it for fear of it not arriving when we did. It was great to have the option of carrying by hand, rolling, or carrying the bag on the back. We did all three in all of the places we visited. I would highly recommend any of the Eagle Creek switchback backpacks/suitcases. I found mine for about half price at an online place called luggage4less.com I only paid $119.00 for each of them.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Thyra

Cassie, what are the dimentions of your Eagle Creek carryon??? I have an E.C roller bag that is my all time favorite bag ever.. but half the time it is too big for carry on and it does not have an additionally back-pack funtion. I would like to get a smaller, E.C bag. Thanks for the luggage4 less tip.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 02:05 PM
Elaine

We, a family of 4, traveled through 5 cities in Europe in late August with a backpack each, and one smaller hand-bag each. It was so much easier than handling large suitcases. It always leaves you a free hand, too. Just remember, you rarely use all the clothes you bring, so why take them at all? Every hotel we stayed in had a hair dryer. And you can wash something out in the sink if you really need to; we brought a little suction cup clothesline that hung over the shower to dry things. I highly recommend backpacking.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 12:35 AM
Ken

Thanks All. Cassie, I was especially glad to see your reply. You traveled with a larger sized carry-one after 9/11. That was really my questions - had things changed so much that what previously was permitted on board as carry-on, now wouldn't be. It would sort of ruin the whole idea of traveling light and free. Ken

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 05:12 AM
snorkelman

I have been to over 40 cou8nties backpacking many times through Europe. My advice is to check your big backpack and just bring your daypack with you on the plane. I don't understand what the big deal is about trying to get the big back on without checking it. Nobody will steal it - and if they do, it is just like if they stole a hard suitcase - dumb luck. I have written a few multi-page documents that i can email to you about backpacking if you like. [email protected] <BR>

Old Oct 19th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Andrea

I think the MOST important thing for you to do is check with each airline in advance. Even if other people have "success" stories recently, airlines have the right to change their policies at the last minute, so it's better to be safe than sorry. <BR> <BR>When we were traveling from Bologna to Frankfurt and then Frankfurt to Shanghai (on Lufthansa) on October 12 and 13, we were each restricted to a bag that could fit through the metal "restricting posts" they put on the X-ray belt. I'm not sure what you'd call that, but it makes sure that large bags don't fit through. I don't know how many bags were allowed per person because we each only had one. From what I saw, there was no way a standard traveling backpack would have fit through the X-ray restriction thingy. <BR> <BR>Good luck!