Reload this Page >

What about money?

Search

What about money?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 04:07 PM
Alyssa

What about money?

I was wondering what I should do about my money for the trip. Is it best to use the ATM's there, bring traveler's checks or cash. Although I would prefer to not bring cash. Does any one have any ideas. I am going to France and Germany for one week in each country. Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 04:18 PM
Ed

Your best financial bet is to use ATMs wherever possible. If you don't run a month to month credit balance your credit card is also an inexpensive way to handle foreign exchange. <BR> <BR>Despite the proliferation of ATMs, they don't always work. Make sure you have at least two cards with you. We always carry traveler's checks as backup as well. <BR> <BR>More detailed information on handling money on a trip to Europe at www.twenj.com/moneyand.htm <BR> <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com

Old Apr 9th, 2000, 04:19 PM
Dick

When in Germany two years ago we used travelers checks and had cash for exchange at appropriate bank/exchange center and also used ATM. ATM exchange were good but depending on ones card the signal may be treated as cash advance (like a loan) instead of a draw on one's checking/savings account. As such, may command a higher loan percent than is a purchase with the card. We did use on-the-street exchange place while in Paris and were please with exchange rate. Also were at advantage with daughter in US military and could use bank on post. <BR>Dick

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 04:38 AM
walter

Do the ATM's in Germany offer an option of withdrawal from either checking OR savings? Or is it normally done through ones checking acct. only? Thanks...

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 05:38 AM
howard

Walter, in answer to you question, whether your ATM card covers one or more of your accounts is totally dependent on your own bank at home, not the ones overseas. Check with our own bank to find out.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 10:55 AM
kate

Actually, howard is mistaken. Moat ATMs in Europe will only withdraw from your checking account; I have heard horror stories from people whose money was in their savings accounts, and they couldn't access it. So move it to your checking before you go.

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 01:54 PM
howard

Sorry, Walter and Kate!

Old Apr 11th, 2000, 01:59 PM
Rob

I just got back from Rome and Florence. Never cashed one travelers check or used any US cash. ATMs are everywhere. Exchange rates are much better. Machines in both cities took my Bank of America and Credit Union cards. On my Bank of America statement, there was a $1.50 charge per transaction. I would bring some travelers checks and cash as a back up, but you most likely won't need them.

Old Apr 12th, 2000, 03:47 AM
Walter

Done deal--thank you everyone. Walter