Reload this Page >

West of Ireland: Where to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 08:02 AM
Jim

I plan on traveling in the west of Ireland in April-May. Please let me know if you have suggestions for hotels or guesthouses in Clare, Galway and Mayo. Thanks,

Old Jan 7th, 1999, 04:21 PM
Donna

Hi, Jim! We stayed at the Atlantic Sunset, a nice B&B near Doolin, in County Clare, two years ago, and we were very pleased. We ate at a restaurant named Cullanins about a mile away and were impressed with the great food. Cullanins is a B&B as well, but we did not stay there. Restaurant part opens at Easter. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip. WE are going in March for a week, and have not chosen our B&B for the Doolin area yet, may go back to Atlantic Sunset. <BR> <BR>Donna

Old Jan 8th, 1999, 10:05 AM
Gene

Last October we spent two nights at the <BR>Suan na Mara B&B in Spiddal. It's a great location to see Connemara or Galway. It's located on the coastal route. It's chef owned (Brian Clancy). <BR>It's recently built. The beach is 5 min. <BR>walking. Ensuite. 18 pounds p.p. <BR> <BR>We booked on line. There website is: <BR>http://www.irishholidays.com/suannamara <BR> <BR>email: [email protected] <BR> <BR>We'll stay there again.

Old Jan 9th, 1999, 10:22 AM
John Grant

<BR>Stay at Doyle's in Dingle. Great small country hotel with first rate food. Ballymaloe near Cork is arguably the best in Ireland comfort, food, and $$$.

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 03:27 PM
Judie

It has been a few years since we spent 2 weeks driving Ireland. We stayed in B&Bs and found this to be the best way to see the very best of Ireland, the people. In the west we had a terrific stay with Eamonn and Siobhan Feeney at "Tuar Beag" in Spiddal, Co. Galway. <BR> <BR>While there I hurt my back, and was unable to walk. Eammon and Siobhan "babysat" me while my sister took over driving my mom and aunt through the countryside. The brought me meals and arrange a visit to the doctor. We also located my great-uncle, living down the road behind their home. They were helpful as he speaks only Gaelic. <BR> <BR>(I found your inquiry as I look for ideas on Italy. This is my first visit to the site. I'll be back frequently before I go!) <BR>

Old Jan 11th, 1999, 03:30 PM
Judie

Jim, if you wish to call I located the telephone number for "Tuar Beag": (091)83422. Happy Travels! <BR>

Old Jan 12th, 1999, 04:25 PM
sue

Having been to Ireland twice, the west is by far my favorite region. I highly recommend splurging on a castle, at least for a couple of nights. There is a wonderful castle/guest home in Recess called Ballynahinch. The service is excellent, the grounds are beautiful, and as of last year there was a resident fox who came to dinner every night. Information on this castle and others can be obtained from the Irish Tourist Board in NYC. Enjoy!