Wes Fowler (WOW!!)

Search

Wes Fowler (WOW!!)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wes Fowler (WOW!!)

My name is Jason Fowler and I am the son of Weston Fowler, who many of you recall. I was just thinking of him today and was checking the Fodor's page and am SHOCKED he is still mentioned!! Even though it has been over a year now I am impressed with what he has left behind. I may regret mentioning this, but I may have some of his itineraries. If I can find them, I would try and put them in touch with Fodor's for your use. Thanks again, The Fowler Family!!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:23 AM

I am glad you posted. Your father helped me plan a trip to Germany a few years back. He is highy regarded on this forum.
The best to you and your family!
Anne
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Jason, you are sweet like your Dad, He must be proud of you.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:28 AM

Hello Jason,

Please don't be surprised! He was well loved and respected here. We all miss him!

Monica
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM

Oh, Jason, how kind of you to offer your fathers itineraries and to continue his generosity!
Your father was a special man , as you are well aware, and while I am sitting here with tears in my eyes I am happy to see another Fowler posting~
Best wishes to you and your family.
Scarlett
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:37 AM

I think I started frequenting the forum after your Dad had stopped posting. On his passing I was awed at the outpouring of affection for him so started reading some of his posts. Yes, he's still mentioned, as well he should be. If you've got the travel bug, following in his footsteps would be a great tribute to him.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:40 AM

Jason,

If Fodors won't post the itineraries for you, I can on my travel web site. Just let me know. [email protected]

Monica
http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:41 AM

Yes, Jason, your Dad left quite a legacy. Best wishes to you and your family.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:56 AM

Yup, Wes assisted me in my first trip to Burgundy about 4 years ago. His info was invaluable!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:04 PM

Jason, as long as we're around, your dad will never be forgotten. He was a kind, generous, thoughtful, and fun-loving guy, and he'll be remembered for those attributes until the last person on this Forum leaves.

BC
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:20 PM

Many, many thanks for posting this.

I started participating in this after your dad passed away, so I was not familar with him or his perspectives. I became curious about him after your posting and entered his name into the search function. I quickly became acquainted with what a fascinating person he must have been.

His question of 2002, asking opinions of the difference between a traveler and a tourist, for example, generated some wonderful comments from this group. There are many, many others.

I intend to gather every whit of material he posted here before it is removed.

Thanks for speaking up.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 12:59 PM

Thanks so much for posting, Jason. It's my guess that your dad's name will be a part of this forum for a long time. His advice is invaluable, and I've recommended many times that people who ask questions about German itineraries type his name into the search box.

Like Scarlett, I have teary eyes and a smile on my face at the same time.

My best to you and the rest of the Fowler Family
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:03 PM

We all loved his generosity. I believe that the best
tribute to him is to continue to give our knowledge, as little or as big it migh be, to others.
Like the French say, Chapeau ... although I did not know him personally I admired his good sense and his great advices and miss him..
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM

Stick around Jason and become an addict like the rest of us. I think of Wes often--how is your mother doing?
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:45 PM

Jason
Many of us who have been regular readers and posters here have strong memories of your father as a generous, fun, intelligent and interesting man. Fodors is not only a travel discussion board but also a community of sorts and the loss of a man such as Wes has a deep impact.
Even those who came after his passing will stumble across one or more of his old gems and learn to appreciate the poster who took the time to share them.
Your offer to share his itineraries makes it clear that you have inherited his thoughtfulness and generosity of spirit. Thank you.

Kavey
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 01:49 PM

Great to hear from you, Jason! We're planning a trip to Germany next month and I've been researching your dad's information. He was certainly generous with his information and knowledgable!

Marla
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 02:48 PM

Jason, I hope that this past year hasa brought your family some peace and healing.
I know I posted this after his death, but again , I want to express what a wonderful person I thought he was.
I always enjoyed his posts, I seem to remember a s[pecial one from around the Holidays.
Your dad was a great source of info and a very generous AND kind poster!
Take care .
and as others have said,
don't be shocked
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM

Wes and I became acquainted through this electronic asylum for the eternally travel-engaged. We would correspond directly. Somehow, I always felt I got more than I gave -- which was part of his charm.

Over the past eight years and under a number of aliases, I have come to appreciate the Fodor's "regulars" -- and none more than Wes. His memory lives on.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:14 PM

Wes is remembered because he shared information of real quality without being negative about anything. He was never anything but helpful and sincere.

It is amazing how some people like that can project an outstanding personality just by the way they write and what they write about.

Wes was as much an artisan with words as he was an expert on travel in many parts of Europe.
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 06:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
His salient qualities:
His attitude, encourageing,
Never belittled newbies,
nor typos,
nor some confused posters,
informative without a snarl=like my way not yours,
A gentleman sums it up.
"Knowledge without grace, means nothing "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -