Wengen or Gstaad for skiing in March?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have plans to ski in Wengen in mid-March with my 11 year old daughter having read wonderful things on this forum and thanks to all who have helped with my planning. However, I am now also considering Gstaad (pending availability of desired lodging) as it is just a bit easier to get to from France (we are flying in and out of Paris). Even one less train change sounds appealing. It sounds to me like both destinations will have charm (very high priority for me) and views (the other high priority). We are not great skiers (she is beginner and I am intermediate at best) - so we need slopes that we can manage and English speaking ski school. I read that Gstaad is more "glitzy" but the hotels that I am considering are comparably priced. We are only there for 3 nights. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Hi lynnalan,

Well you've asked a really tough question, and you're asking me to choose between two of my favorite destinations. Impossible!

Of course, Wengen is car-free and sits at almost 1300 meters with a population of around 1,050. There are good restaurants and good souvenir shopping.

Gstaad has one car-free street, sits at 1,050 meters with a population of around 2,500. There are a LOT of 16-18-point Gault-Millau restaurants and a LOT of five-star hotels and a LOT of upscale brand-name shopping (including a gourmet grocer that can make you weak at the knees just by walking in). Lots of rich and famous folks have made their homes here, and in fact there is an English-language elementary school in the neighborhood.

For a first-time visitor, I would choose Wengen. I think the enveloping atmosphere will be sweeter, more cozy, and more real. Plus, because your hotel is actually at a higher altitude, your 24-hour views will be more stunning.

If you were going in summertime, I might have suggested Gstaad -- because the village (and nearby villages) decked out in flowers is simply irresistable, and I love the walking and biking trails down the valley.

The good news is that you simply cannot make a wrong choice!

s
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 01:51 AM

I agree with swandav (no surprise here, eh?). Wengen is better for you.

First, the skiing area is more snow reliable in mid March (the village won't have much snow since it sits on a sunny terrace, south facing) because of higher elevation. Be prepared, however, that the skiing area of Wengen is mostly for intermediates, not beginners. For beginners, take the cog-trains to Grindelwald, gondola to "First" ski area above Grindelwald (included in ski pass).

Gstaad, despite having the glitzy image, is a family oriented vacation area. Especially if you include the neighbouring villages like Saanen, Rougemont, Chateau-d'Oex, Schönried, Saanenmöser etc. Many families stay in rental apartments or 3star hotels/inns.

Scenery is definitely more spectacular in Wengen. Another reason to go there for a first timer.
Old Jan 31st, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo and Swandav for the details but I must say that both sound so irresistible I am nor sure if the decision is easier or harder now! I need more time in Switzerland!! (and money)