Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Wengen or Grindelwald: Which is "BETTER"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Beth and Marty Operman

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but which is better, Wengen or Grindelwald? I must admit I actually like touristy. I like the shops (don't tell my husband!!!), and I don't mind a leisurely stroll through town after dinner, window shopping.<BR>BUT...<BR>Views in the mountains are an absolute!!! Does G have nice views? Is it actually ON the mountain, or in the valley? I prefer being high up (IN the mountains , that is!!!).<BR>Any thoughts?<BR><BR>Beth

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Bob Brown

Grindelwald has the most shops but it is in the valley. Wengen is higher, but has fewer shops, but it is not a wateland either. The shops are fairly elegant because the whole village is upscale to my thinking. M&uuml;rren I think has the best views of all, but it is the smallest of the three. You decide.<BR>

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Beth Operman

Thanks for the response Bob.<BR>Your info helps, but can you (or anyone else) be a little more specific if possible? <BR>When you say fewer or more shops, etc., how much are you talking about? One city block versus 4, etc...<BR>Lots of cafes/restaurants vs. just a handful...<BR>My husband and I don't really hike much (bad knees) but we're active and like to walk around town a lot and just enjoy the people, shops, food, etc.<BR>In other words, will we get "bored" in Wenger if our plan is to stay there three days?<BR>I realize this is a truly ambiguous question....<BR><BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Wayne

Folks--<BR>Obviously you have to make a tradeoff. If being up "in the mountains" is most important, go to Wengen. It's a bit harder to get to, and to get out of, so once you are there you are probably stuck, more or less. Grindelwald, on the other hand, is in the valley with mountain views all around, and in my estimation is probably about 8 to 10 times bigger than Wengen--so the number of shops and other features would be proportional, more or less. I couldn't tell you how many blocks or square miles of shops either place has, but I can say that if you love touristy, and you like the mountain atmosphere, and if you don't get bored in a somewhat small village, then go to Wengen. If you want a change of scene and lots of new sights around every corner, go to Grindelwald. Not sure I'm helping, but it's my best shot. I'm sure you'll like either place.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:01 AM
Beth Operman

Thanks!<BR>That does help.<BR>I think I may just do what's best...two nights in each city!<BR>Any thoughts? Tansfer difficulties? etc.<BR> <BR><BR>Beth

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Bob Brown

Grindelwald is by far the largest of the towns in the area. The main street is close to a mile long, up hill, and has many shops. I never counted them; nor have I bought anything much in them except for a hardware store where we got Swiss Army knives (even though they are sold over here), and real cow bell. <BR><BR>Transfering from Wengen to M&uuml;rren is involved because you ride to Lauterbrunnen on the WAB line, transfer by walking uphill to the lift to Grutschalp. Then you take a train to M&uuml;rren that is about like two street cars coupled.<BR><BR>I cannot help but be amused that you can walk to shop, but hiking is limited!!<BR><BR>Perhaps Paris, Munich, or Vienna in that area would be better for you, more shops. <BR><BR>As for being bored, I guess if you put your mind to it, you could get bored in 30 minutes. I frankly don't see how one gets bored in that country with some of the most beautiful scenery on the globe right in front of you.<BR><BR>If the days are clear, I would not be in Wengen long enough in three days to get bored. I guess that is the difference between thinking a week (and it will be my 5th one) is not enough, and being concerned that 3 days would bore me.<BR>

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:49 PM
Beth and Marty Operman

Thanks again Bob! You seem to be the resident expert!<BR>Now for my FINAL question? Where do I stay? I'd like a 4 or 5 star resort with the absolute best view. <BR>I was thinking Romantik Schweizerhoff for Grindelwald and Regina for Wengen.<BR>Any thoughts? Bob, I know you've been to Schweizerhof--how far is it from the train station? Which room or location in the hotel would you recommend? Do they have balconies?<BR>Also, for Wengen, I've also heard nice things about Alpenrose. Which has the better balcony views from my hotel room? Alpenrose or Regina?<BR>LAST questions...I promise...<BR><BR>Beth

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 02:05 PM
orangesun

've stayed in both towns. I stayed at the Gletchergarten hotel in Grindlewald. That hotel is a small,family run hotel. Great food and a nice impeccably clean hotel.<BR><BR>Grindlewald seemed to be slightly more touristy. What I really liked about staying in Grindlewald were many of the great walks above and around Grindlewald. I walked over to the Schwartzhorn from the First(pronounced Fearst) cable station above Grindlewald. Then I walked over to Grossee Scheidegg. Those walks are just a few that I've done in the Grindlewald area.<BR><BR>There is slightly more activity in Grindlewald at night. <BR><BR>Wengen is a also nice place to base yourself as well. I stayed at the Hotel Baren and thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. Again, there are many fine walks just around Wengen. I have walked the famous Grandmother's walk many times. That particular walk can be accessed from the gondola station in the center of the village. You take the cable up to Mannlichen and BOOM, you then walk over to Kleine Scheidegg.<BR><BR>Wengen sees many tourists during the day time as people travel up to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfrau from the lower altitude villages. At night though, the hordes of tourists go back down to the lower villages.<BR><BR>I like Wengen. In fact I like it so much that I have planned a return trip in 02!<BR><BR>You get a great view of the Jungfrau and company from Wengen, but you get a better view of the Jungfrau and company from Murren, but you did not ask about Murren did you? But it's easy as can be to get over to Murren. The Murren-Winteregg-Grutschalp area can be seen in clear viewf rom Wengen. Murren is just across the Lauterbrunnen valley from Wengen.<BR><BR>IMO, you can not go wrong by staying in either village.<BR><BR>There are tons and tons of things to do in this area. You can pop over to some of the other areas. I like to go to the Merrigen area and take walks in the Halsliberg area.<BR><BR>Easy to get there from Wengen, Murren and Grindlewald.<BR><BR>One thing I liked about Grindlewald was their block parties during the high season months. The local shops set up food and beer stands. Then there are live bands that play everything from local Swiss Folklore to hard rock- and even hip hop and country music.<BR><BR>I walked around listening to the music and swillin cold uns all evening. It was fun!<BR><BR>But since when is stuffin' your face with good eats and sloshin' down some frosty, cold beer not fun?<BR><BR>YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG with either village.<BR><BR>Everybody wants some, I want some too"<BR>Van Halen<BR><BR><BR>

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 04:56 AM
s

Hi Beth,<BR><BR>Just a few quick answers to your last questions: the Schweizerhof is about one long block from the train station. My 70-something mother easily rolled her 22-inch & attached 18-inch cases to the hotel in about five minutes. We had rooms looking right at the peaks -- they seemed to be **just** in front of our faces! Our rooms had balconies that wrapped around the whole front of the hotel, so we could easily see our neighbors; we developed a nodding acquaintance with them very soon.<BR><BR>However, if you are going in the summertime, say August, you may want to opt for Wengen. I usually go in January, so this past August was my first summertime trip. I was astonished at the crowds in Grindelwald. I mean real, pushing & hungry crowds like Manhattan at mid-day. Wengen, by contrast, seemed deserted and peaceful.<BR><BR>I wouldn't split up time in both places; they are so close you can get from one to the other very quickly. <BR><BR>By the way, you'll probably find better shopping in Interlaken, about 40 minutes by train from Wengnen. You can combine a few shopping trips with excursions on the lakes.<BR><BR>E-mail me if you'd like.<BR><BR>s

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 02:01 PM
xcx

topping

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Harvey

Wengen for me, great views, and a marvelous hotel with superb food and a gracious and FUNNY! host in Meyer. The trains run often, and you can go Murren across the valley or over the hill to Grindelwald and return through Lauterbrunen. Wengen and Murren are both high up. Ild go back in a flash!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 01:19 PM
xxx

I wouldn't say that Bob Brown is the resident expert on Switzerland on this site, although he kind of styles himself as such. There are a lot of people, including several who actually live in Switzerland that have good info.