Well, I've Never Been to Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like our two mom's trip will be to Spain in early to mid-February for 10 days. Still working out the details but we'll either fly into Paris and take a train to start our journey or fly directly into Madrid. I'm just beginning to get info together so if anyone out there has ideas for an 8 day tour (assuming a travel day on each end) I'd appreciate it. We're looking for easy days without packing and unpacking every day or two. I'm just not sure what is do-able in our time frame and what absolutely should not be missed. Thanks
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:10 AM

I've done the rail trip from Paris to Madrid several times and it is fun..FOR ME!!! But I wouldn't waste any time doing that unless that is the ONLY way you can get to Madrid..or you are a big rail buff.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

not necessarily big rail buffs but my companion has mucho miles on United and wants to use them. I seriously doubt we'll rent a car so having good access to the trains will be important where ever we end up on our route. Would Bilbao, Madrid and Barcelona be do-able?
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:58 AM

You should be able to use UA miles to get directly into Spain as there are plenty Star Alliance partners that fly there.

I absolutely loved Andalucia. You can get from Madrid to Seville on the fast train in about 3 hours. Once there, it's pretty easy to drive around the whole area - Seville, Cordoba, Granada, plus all the little "pueblo blanco" like Ronda and Arcos de la Frontiera. It's got amazing scenery and architecture (Moorish). One of my favorite places of all time.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

How will the weather be in February? I'm concerned when I read about frigid winds and snow near Madrid.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"Well I never been to Spain"

But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it........

Even in February, it won't be a Three Dog Night in Spain.
Have fun!
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:37 AM

If you are a museum buff, then by all means go to Madrid (the Prado etc are extraordinary) and Bilbao. Otherwise, in February, I would choose Barcelona, Granada and one of Cordoba or Seville. I go to Madrid fairly often for work and, while I always enjoy it, it doesn't stand out as a unique and beautiful city. Barcelona, on the other hand is one of my two favourite cities in the world: stylish, funky, extraordinary architecture and city scenes, interesting museums (although classic fine art museums are concentrated in Madrid). Seville (which I've been to), Cordoba and Granada are on my list because of their fascinating history, which brings together European and Moorish cultures. I'm planning a trip to Granada for next spring.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 11:00 AM

cmeyer - I was in Spain in mid-February this year, and the weather wasn't bad. I'd say it was in the high 40s (F) during the day and a little chillier at night, but it was warmer than where I live! (DC). I was lucky in that it was sunny every day.

For 8 days, I like linjudy's idea, especially if you want a little warmth.

I was in a t-shirt in Sevilla when I was there. For 8 days, I'd spend 3 in Madrid (maybe to a day trip to either Toledo or Segovia), then take a train to Sevilla (with a stop for 1/2 day in Cordoba), stay in Sevilla for 2 nights, then rent a car from there and tour the white towns. I spent 2 nights in Ronda and absolutely loved it. Then you can drop the car back off in Sevilla and take the train back to Madrid for the flight home.

Another alternative - Do 3 or 4 days in Madrid and then the rest of the time in Barcelona. Barcelona is lovely, but chilly that time of year. Since you don't have flights yet, you could look into flying to Madrid and home from Barcelona. These open jaw tickets don't generally cost more than a r/t would. You can train from Madrid to Barcelona in about 4 1/2 hours.

My trip was a full 2 weeks, so I covered all of these areas.

Which way you go really depends on if you want a "city"-feel or a "city" then "small-town" feel - which you will get in Andalusia.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any more questions!

Karen
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Southern Spain is very much like California. So, in Feb., the weather can either be glorious (the first sunny/warm/green days), or rainy. March would be more of a sure bet, but I still wouldn't pass up Andalusia in Spring. Feb is better than high summer in my opinion.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 07:52 PM

Sorry, have to say more

The other thing I love about Spain is the culture and the wonderful people, esp. in the south. They are exceptionally warm yet very polite. I got lost once and had an entire family (3 generations) go 30 min out of their way to walk me back to my hotel. Think Italians without all the come-ons. Even if you just speak a tiny bit of very bad Spanish, you will have a great time interacting with people. The "party all night" spirit is extremely fun for everyone (imagine a full-out all night party that's open to every age).

The other great thing about Andalucia is the culture. It's much more Catholic and "undiluted" Spanish than Madrid or Barcelona imho (not that those aren't great cities). I was once in Seville during Semana Santa. It was an unforgettable experience. For the incredible pagentry, exuberance, and religious ferver. I am not a Catholic and still found it all very very moving.

So, anyways, go to Spain, and go to Andalucia. And if you can manage it, go during Easter -- you will never forget it.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Be sure to check out: www.madridman.com It is an incredibly thoruough website that you kind find everything on. It also offers a message board like this one!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much - this has now expanded into two possible trips to Spain in the spring - one with my neighbor and one with the family over Easter. The earlier trip will probably be to Madrid and Barcelona. The easter trip will be into Madrid and then down to Seville, Cordoba, Malaga and back to Madrid. Does anyone have hotel suggestions for either itinerary? Looking for 2-3stars, comfortable and clean. May splurge in Seville at the Alfonso with starwood points for 1-2 nights. Thanks!!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:10 AM

definitely look into visiting some of the quaint unique smaller towns.
there is an entire hub around madrid of excellent castles and interesting monuments..alcala de henares, (world heritage site also)el escorial, segovia, toledo. i bleeive spain has themost world heritage sites in europe for a country its size i was told. i think all these places have been donned with the honor.
all nice day trips.

plenty of 2-3 star lodgings.. check out that madridman.com website, and then www.bancotel.es for hotels that may accept their 50-100 euro coupons for rooms those dates in the cities you would like to visit.

the tour bus in madrid is an excellent value.. and goes just everywhere you will want to. ( ditto for the barcelona one)at night it is beautiful although february is going to be too cold to be on top outside i imagine ...

you will have a wonderful time wherever you go.

another sweet town outside madrid with a parador and bullring as main square, also many balcony restuarants lining the plaza is CHINCHON.

the historic towns are lovely.. as are the older part of madrid.. the austria madrid, etc.
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 06:11 AM

For the second itinerary, I highly recommend staying overnight in Ronda at the parador there. It's an old converted building with magnificent cliffside setting. Ronda itself is very beautiful and definitely worth a day. Here's a link http://www.paradores-spain.com/spain/pronda.html.

In general, the paradores in Spain are wonderful places to stay. They are all converted historical buildings (convents, castles, etc). The cost is usually moderate. Much more interesting than ordinary hotels.