Weekend in Dublin??

Jun 12th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Weekend in Dublin??

I will be in Dublin on work and wondering if it's worth staying over from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon and having my husband fly out from London?
Everyone talks about the Irish countryside - however, I doubt we could do that given the limited time. What can one do in Dublin and is it worth it...ofcourse, am sure part of Saturday afernoon will be spent watching the world cup...
I have been reading the other links but most people spend 2-3 full days in Dublin and I just can't get a sense of what I can accomplish in a 1 1/ days...
Any suggestions ...? Thanks.
Jun 18th, 2006, 08:27 AM

Definitely worth spending time in Dublin and lots to do.
Suggestions:
Open-deck tour of city (hop-on hop-off with live commentary). www.dublinbus.ie
South coast tour (tour of south coast down to County Wicklow (need to book in advace) www.dublinbus.
Shopping or people-watching in Grafton Street.
Take DART (communter train) to Howth (about 3/4 hr trip) to fishing village on North side of Dublin.
Check out whats on at Tourist Information, Andrew Street for specific events at time of your visit.
Google - Dublin Tourism or www.entertainment.ie.
Jun 18th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Check out www.failteireland.ie (officail irish tourism information) and
http://www.12travel.com/ie/Dublin/index.html
Jun 19th, 2006, 01:25 AM

I live here and the summer weekends are lovely. In the daytime temple bar has a saturday Market and lots of cultural events through the summer. Sat nights ther are free movies in the Meeting house square outside at 10pm. You can get tickets anytime the week before at the info centre. Ypou could take a day tour to Glendolough and Powerscourt gardens which is great on a sunny day. You also could chill and have a oint and watch a Match so there are lots of nice things to do. Avoid Temple bar at night if at all possible. I walked thriugh this sat on my way home and its pretty crap and crazy. Mostly full of hens and stags who look about ready to puke on you or flash you when you walk by (not me of course but my partner!)I had to listen to a rendition of get your t*ts out most of the way and this was the girls singing to eachother. Its a bit of a vomitorium on a sat night but fine in the day and early evenings.
Jun 26th, 2006, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the tips. I just returned from Dublin. Unfortunately the weather was cold and windy...however, there were a few spots of warm weather.
You are right on Temple Bar...its pretty awful at night! We went there for Sunday lunch to a really quant place called Joy of Coffee...very homey, villagey feel to it. Nice desserts! Unfortunately could not get out of the city (all those soccer games we had to watch) but all in all, a good weekend.
Jun 26th, 2006, 06:41 AM

Is Temple bar as ghastly on a weeknight? Where would you recommend, on a Wednesday or Thursday night, for middle aged folks with a teen in tow, for music, people watching, good eats? (and probably off to bed by 10 or 11!)
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Tripmom - Temple Bar is relatively ok during the day but most of us who live in Dublin stay out of it at night.

During the day - Grafton Street is good for people watching, buskers, etc.

What kind of music and food are you interested in?
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:03 AM

Padhraicin:

We will have just arrived, jet lagged after a long flight, and in terms of food/music, will be looking for a nice introduction to Ireland. Nothing fancy, although we are certainly willing to splurge.
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM

Dublin is a blast and I think people on this site do not give it enough credit. I went to Ireland last year for 11 days and people told me dont spend more than a day or two tops in Dublin. I have to disagree we slotted two nights for Dublin and once I got there we added a third night because we felt we were rushing it.

I think it depends on the type of person you are as well. I am a very urban person and like to see what big cities have to offer. We went to Guinness and had a blast. The Dublin city tourist bus is a great way to see the city and you can get on and off as you like. The Book of Kells is also great. If you pretty much only have one full day I say walk around O'Connell Street if you like to shop and get dinner and a few brews in Temple Bar at night!

Dublin is worth it and have a blast!
Jun 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Spent 5 nights in Dublin just this month and loved it. I prefer the countryside/coastal areas and natural beauty to cities, but really did love Dublin. The advice to take the hop-on hop-off tour is very good. Great way to see everything, and you of course can stay on as long as you like or get off at any attraction along the way.

We enjoyed walking around Grafton Street and St. Stephens Green, Merrion Square Park & a visit to Dublinia. We didn't have time on that particular day, but the Christ Church Cathedral adjacent to Dublinia looked stunning and well worth a visit.

I think it would be worth your time to spend a little in Dublin.
Jun 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Restaurants tend to be busy at weekends.
Some worth trying - Salamanca (spanish restuarant in Andrew St. beside tourist office) - you can have a glass of wine while you wait for a table if they are busy. Not expensive and very good food.
During the day - good food in Writers Museum Parnell Square - salads, soups, etc. Or Silk Road in the Chester Beatty Library at Dublin Castle.
I would recommend Dublin Castle as a place to visit. (on hop-on / hop-off tour).Tour gives a good sense of Irish history from Viking times right through to today. Chester Beatty Library (eastern collections) is at the back of castle and Silk Road is a good quality self-service place for lunch (not open at night).

For music (if you are interested in traditional music) check out The Cobblestone, Smithfield - music on Saturday from 4.00. in the afternoon.
The music is just informal in the pub but usually good traditional music sessions.

Jun 29th, 2006, 01:19 AM

Trip mom how old is your teen? You could do the musical Pub Crawl in Oliver St John Gogherty that starts sevenish. The food is OK in Temple bar with a few good places like Elephant and Castle (People love their chicken wings) and Joy of coffee is a nice little spot as well as the IFC (Irish Film Centre on Eurtace Street) as they have great daytime food).

The Silk Road cafe in the Chester Beatty is beautiful food. Yiu get a good feed for the price and cafeteria style with hot food. Try the Turkish Chicken and curries. Kids are not allowed in pubs after a certain time so plan around this unless she looks 17-18 then its fine.
Jul 3rd, 2006, 02:25 AM
Original Poster

I've heard the literary pub crawl is also good....especially with some many literary heavy weights having lived in Dublin. The local music is lovely....we were at a couple of pubs in temple bar and if you go upstairs, there is invairably live music and a bunch of people of all ages having fun, enjoying the music. Temple Bar is nice enough in the day and a week night is not too bad. We caught the live msuic, one man with a lovely voice and a guitar on a Friday evening...we were out of there by 10:00-10:30 so probably skipped out before Temple Bar was at it's 'finest' . The Jamieson tour is also supposed to be good....

Search this Thread