Weekend around Lake Geneva

Jun 2nd, 2017, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Weekend around Lake Geneva

I would be spending this long weekend around Lake Geneva, I will arrive on Saturday evening and leave back for Zurich on Monday evening. I would be staying in Montreux.
I am primarily interested in a long walk along the vineyards with good views of the vineyard and lakes. Any suggestions on any routes? Or just go to Vevey and walk around?
Any thoughts on what to do on the second day(it's going to be a rainy day), one of the options in Gruyers. I would wish to avoid any large cities.
Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:02 AM

Oh it's been awhile - hopefully other posters will give better info. We did like the castle there and one day we took a train ride up to ? Gstad?. Of course there are steamers out on the lake. And we did one day of wandering down thru vineyards - I think I got the info from a TI booth by the lake that told us where to start. There is a chocolate museum nearby but w had good weather and enjoyed the out of doors.
Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:19 AM

Hi ashwinb,

Here's an idea for a day in the vineyards --

Take the train to Lutry, and spend an hour or two enjoying the town. It's very pretty, with a nice little harbor on the lake and an interesting old town with a sign-posted walk of its old buildings.

My album of Lutry:
https://swandav.shutterfly.com/632

After that, head off to the vineyards. The walk from Lutry to Rivaz (10 km, about 2 1/2 hours) or onward to St Saphorin (about 20 minutes farther). You can stop at any point along the way, as there are train stations at Villette and Epesses and Rivaz.

You may want to take a look at google maps to see exactly what's there. Do a search for "Lutry, Switzerland," then look to the east back towards Vevey.

I suggest you do spend a few hours in Vevey, and it's a good fit after the walk in the Lavaux. It's a quick train ride from any of the towns on the Corniche to Vevey, then just stroll the winding streets of its old town next to the lake.

Either Gruyeres or Gstaad would be a good idea for your second day, as they're both gorgeous in gorgeous scenery. They are not far apart by train -- Gruyeres is a brief detour from the Montbovon train stop -- so you could do both on one day. The double cream (or cream of Gruyeres) is stunning; have it with berries or meringue.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Jun 2nd, 2017, 08:22 AM

Sorry, didn't see that you were going back to Zürich on day 2. So, here's what you could do.

Send your suitcase on to Zürch using the Fast Baggage service from the SBB. Then do Gstaad and/or Gruyeres, then go onward to Zürich via Zweisimmen and Spiez, about 3h.

Have fun!

s
Jun 6th, 2017, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot! I had a great time, on day 1, I went to the Lavaux vineyards, I went to Lutry, walked up, walked along the vineyards till Grandvaux, I liked the view around the allain Chollet vineyard the most. 'The next day was at Gruyeres, which too was great. I did the usual chateau - lunch - stroll, the views were fabulous.