Reload this Page >

week in europe- where to go??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 07:51 AM
bob

My wife and I have a week to spend in Europe. We don't like to rough it, enjoy cities and museums and have been to: London, Paris, Loire Valley, Geneva, Zermatt, Hamburg, Florence, Rome, Venice, Prague, Lyon, Vienna, and Bordeaux. So without going back to those places, where should we go next??

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Jayelle

Two of my favorites that are not on your list are Amsterdam and Madrid. I too enjoy cities and museums, and both of these cities have art museums that shouldn't be missed.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Danna

I second the Amsterdam vote and would add Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Berlin and Dublin. <BR>Have Fun!

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 10:13 AM
wes fowler

With seven days, consider Bruges, Belgium with a day trip or two to Brussels, Ghent or Antwerp.

Old Feb 4th, 2001, 06:20 PM
Linda

One of favorite cities in Europe is Berlin--has all that you want & good daytrips. Other options which you would enjoy are Budapest and Krakow. Budapest is much larger than Krakow but Krakow has some good sidetrips (Zakopane-resort village in Tatras, Auschwitz/Birkenau Concentration camps, Salt Mines)

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:00 AM
kate

What about Barcelona? You haven't done Spain, and I find Barcelona much more interesting than Madrid.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Tricia

Haven't been there but from the photos, descriptions and websites I've visted and personal stories I've read I REALLY want to go to PRAGUE!!

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:16 AM
amg

Bob, <BR> <BR>I second the vote for Barcelona and/or Madrid. Barcelona has a wonderful vatiety of art and architecture, covering a variety of styles. Everyone should see the work of Gaudi at least once. <BR> <BR>Madrid with a side trips to Toledo, El Escorial (the royal Palace) and Segovia would make a wonderful week. <BR> <BR>Have fun where ever you go. <BR>Aileen <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 07:48 AM
kate

Prague IS beautiful, although is now very touristy. It was great 10 years ago when the East was just opening up. Everyone tells me that Budapest is "the new Prague". Anyone been?

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Bjorn Alvik

Hi,Bob <BR>I agree with Madrid, if cities are on your agenda. Don't leave Europe without it. <BR>When that is said, why not try Scandinavia. Depending, of course, on when you have planned to travel. <BR>Copenhagen really is underestimated as a continental town. Every minute in that town is worth it's money. <BR>But do not go Denmark if nature is on the agenda. In that case, choose Norway. Either season, Norway will give you a thrill, but do not expect anything else than nature and weather. We are, modesly speaking, not the very best on culture and prices. Nature, however, we master in an excellent way. <BR>Welcome to Norway!! <BR>Bjorn

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 08:29 AM
Al

Bob, <BR> Contact the Danish Tourist Board, P.O.Box 4649, Grand Central Station, New York, NY 10163-4649, ask for information about Copenhagen and Denmark. Their brochure (book) can also be obtained by visiting their web site at www.visitdenmark.com. (Very quick response.) <BR> Give Copenhagen some serious consideration. To be honest I have only been to Copenhagen (three times) and London (twice), so lack personal knowledge of other major, European cities. But the time I have spent in Copenhagen was absolutely fantastic. I am in the process of planning another trip to Europe this summer. Destination? Copenhagen. <BR> <BR> No matter where you go, have a wonderful trip. <BR>

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 09:01 AM
sam

I would either focus on Spain spending time in Madrid and surrounding areas or split the week between Belgium and The Netherlands.

Old Feb 5th, 2001, 11:57 AM
Diane

Amsterdam and Brugges get my vote -- you can easily drive from one to the other. Fly into Amsterdam and fly out of Brussels. Whatever you do, do not attempt to drive in Amsterdam -- this comes from someone who has driven in Manhattan, Brussels, and San Francisco.