Wedding in Stamford

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 01:15 PM
Mopglo

Wedding in Stamford

We are ging to Stamford for a wedding on Sept 8. Any comments on where to stay and how to see the country side. We are both in our 70's

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 03:29 PM
JOdy

Are you asking about stamford, Lincolnshire, UK. If so I will check my journals and get back with you. I recall it being a really lovely medievaql town with lots to see. I know we stayed somewhere around there about 10 years ago but willhave to check and get back to you. will you be driving or are you doing trains?

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Tracy

Hi - if it is a UK wedding, women should wear hats! You'll feel left out if you don't have headgear =)

BTW there are some very good, inexpensive hats at Accessorize (a chain of shops in most British major towns) in case you can't be bothered to schlep over a hatbox!

Have fun!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 07:05 AM
Rachel

Not all women wear hats to weddings in England!

I've been to 7 weddings in England and Wales, and the only women (with just one or two exceptions) who wore hats were all older than 50, and not even all of them wore hats.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 11:56 AM
Linda

There is a beautiful manor home in Stamford (for the life of me I can't remember the name--I must be having another of my all-too-frequent senior moments) that is a must-see if you are in the area. They do wonderful tours. Can anyone out there help me with the name? Highly recommend you visit while there. Also, Stamford is not that far from Lincoln--a really great day trip away.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Jane

Mopglo,

I think the house that Linda refers to is Burgley House, a beautiful stately home near Stamford. I have had a look for you and found the website of a local Lincolnshire newspaper which you may be interested in, it also has the details of Burgley House. How long are you going to be there and how will you be travelling?

Check out
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/...unty&opensect=

Jane

PS I always wear a hat to a wedding and would say that half do and half dont wear hats - if you are unsure why not ask your hosts what they expect other ladies will do? Jane (Brit, aged 33)

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 01:57 AM
Mopglo

Thanks for all the replies

Old Apr 28th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Linda

Burgley House, that's it. Thank you, Jane.