Weather in Turkey?!!

Search

Weather in Turkey?!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weather in Turkey?!!

We are planning our first visit to Turkey for the last week of March, beginning of April and we were very surprised to find that Turkey is experiencing its worst winter ever--2 feet of snow in Istanbul yesterday. What is the forecast for the latter part of March/beginning of April?
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 04:37 AM

If you are lucky you can get nice weather BUT normaly rain and cold
Old Feb 14th, 2004, 06:31 AM
sandi

And so too in NYC a cold snowy winter, which happens to be on the same latitude as Istanbul.

Friends traveled to Turkey 2-yrs ago, also at end-March and they were freezing for a week. Had to buy warmer clothing.

Beginning of Spring is transitional just about everywhere, so you have to be prepared - you might have lovely weather, then again you might not. Pack for layered dressing.

Old Feb 14th, 2004, 07:18 AM
rex

Forecast? six weeks off? I have neve sen forecasts six weeks off that were very reliable, though perhaps they re fairly accurate where Spirit and Opportunity are.

If you want historical statistics (averages, high/low, days above 90, below 32, rainfall, etc) try www.weatherbase.com or www.worldclimate.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:53 AM

Late March & April ; some places you can start swimming in the sea usually, some places you can enjoy skiing or experience rainy days of spring. Depending on where you will be travelling.

having said that tempretures are changing. Global warming effect I guess. In Cappadocia where we are now supposed to be snow and cold. There were snow but very week and the cold is still there ;-)

Have fun in Turkey weather cold or hot there are things to do one can enjoy fully.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 05:51 PM

I'll be in Turkey all of April and the first part of May. Im traveling thruout the country and finally decided on linen BUT w/ nylon long johns for layering!!! This way I"ll be prepared for whatever. I bought a Tote Plastic coat which will be a great windbreaker, and yet fold up tiny. Hopefully my new leather Nikes' will keep my feet warm enough. Im from Southern Cal....so cold to me is 60!
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 08:45 PM

Us to, out comes the thermal underwear from the last ski season. And my wife says its the perfect excuse to buy a long leather jacket in Istanbul as soon as we arrive !! Doesn't miss a trick my girl
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Well Marko, tell your wife to be very careful when buying a leather jacket. The bulk of it is third or fourth category leather.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 12:57 AM

Really ? I had heard that most Turkish leather was quite good ?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 03:49 AM

The bulk of the Grand Bazar stuff is 3rd or 4th class!
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:43 AM

I BELIEVE that TURKISH LEATHER better then ITALY. You have to know where to buy.

Dear baldrick

I also believe that if you go to some part of Italy to buy Leather you can find 3th 4th qualty Leather worst then Turkish one.

In Grand bazaar they show you their LEATHER if you want you can buy or YOU DON'T it's up to you.

"WHAT YOU PAY is WHAT YOU GET" This say always work eveywhere in the world.

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 07:06 AM

I knew this wasn't going to please everyone!!!
We agree on what you pay is what you get! Lovely. And as you say, you can find good and bad leather jackets in every part of the world, although I don't think Marko is looking for worse quality than the Turkish ones. And you buy if you want, you don't buy if you don't. So far OK.
But still, the quality of the bulk of the leather items, shoes included, is of an inferior quality and overpriced.

Of course, you can get the better or excellent 'boutique' quality, but around Taksim or Sisli, in the chique shopping areas, where you also can find designer shops. But you will pay the european price.

But the Bazar is the last place in the world where to find a top quality leather jacket. And Frankly, Sinan Bey, you know that as well as I do!

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 04:10 PM

OK I live in a relatively hot country (in fact bloody hot over the last week)
So my knowledge of leather clothing is limited...any advice..please ?
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:25 PM

What kind of advice do you want?
I've had the pleasure while living in Istanbul to have made some friends, some with businesses in the Bazar, some without.
The margins they have on their prices are so high that you will feel already embarassed if you start bargaining at the 'real' price (value).
Next point, what is fake or false (Lacoste, Tommy Hilfiger,....) and what is not? Almost everything is fake.
Between the bazar and Yeni Camii, you can find some shops where you can buy the little crocodiles tags, or the levi 501 tags,..., by the yard.

In the 1980's, you could still find some good quality ancient kilims in the Bazar. That period is over now. The golden years, meaning the time when you could buy a good piece of kilim for a acceptable price, of the kilim and carpet market are over.

The Grand Bazar is on of the loveliest places on earth. Everything is twinkling and sparkling, everything is clean. There is a wonderful, unique atmosphere... But one thing is sure, they all excel in the art of selling, and it is hardly ever you who makes the bargain.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 10:34 PM

In my experience (three trips to Turkey during April since 2000) you will almost certainly experience cold to very cold weather during this period (definitely in Istanbiul and Capadoccia. But don't be surprised to wake one day and discover it is tee-shirt weather. On the Aegean, you might even be able to swim in some places, but don't count on it. The advice? Layer, layer, layer. But rejoice - you will be visiting one of the most marvellous countries in the world, and the people are warm.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 02:03 AM

Thank you both !
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:01 AM

I have to disagree about this quality thing. Certainly there are many, many leather shops in Grand Bazaar that have poor quality, but there are some excellent ones, too. I bought down to knees length coat (lamb, fur inside), and it is top quality. And I know top quality leather, I have grown up among leather industry. It is super thin, doesn't weigh anything, soft, silky smooth hair, beautiful color, very "sporty chick". BUT it wasn't from a bargain store. I wish I would remember the store name, but I never remember names. I tried to bargain, and I am usually very good at it. This time the price went down only 100 euros, and I ended up paying 600 euros. At home I went to shops to look for similar ones. Didn't find quite the same softness, and the prices for the same quality started from 1000 euros, and that was from sales.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Dear baldrick,

Yes we have many FAKE PRODUCTIONS that you can not imagine, like
Mercedes, Toyota, Renault, Fiat, I can continue thousands of thousands NOT AUTOMOBILE many TEXTILES too. If you are wearing LEVIS (Maybe you also wearing now) as you said YES, YES and YES they PRODUCE IN TURKEY and EXPORT. Like Automobiles we produce.

Thank you againg you mentioned

Thanks you ELINA for your support. Many people like "baldrick" Prefer to buy everything what we have FREE OF CHARGE. I don't know where did he (baldrick) live BUT I have to tell you one more thing IF YOU GO TO ANATOLIA the asian side of Turkey except big cities like Izmir Antalya and Ankara and also Touristic towns My Turkish Citizens ALWAYS WELCOME TO EVERYONE who ever you are, you could be christian, Jewish, or believe to sun WITHOUT EXPECTING ANYTHING They share everything they have with you. This is who we are BUT the people who live in the BIG city learned alots of thing from FOREIGN PEOPLE, They learned how to be slave of MONEY LIKE OTHER COUNTRIES CITIZEN. Please DON'T NOT BLAME TURKISH PEOPLE BECAUSE OF FAKE THOUGH

I've been in this TOURISM BUSSINESS almost 20 years and I can see very difference like you said in 1980 Many tourist came to Turkey and they exchanged my MOSQUE KILIMS AND CARPETS which was 1000 years old with new MACHINE MADE CARPETS and now the same tourist expecting to find old materials to buy or exchange for NOTHING you got everything! what are you waiting for?. I know many tourist everwhere in Turkey still collecting really old materials and THEY ARE NOT PAYING any money to my POOR VILLAGERS.

I met many tourists that try to find some artifacts. While we were touring in the ruins, one of the tourist were talking with me or make me busy and others were looking for some artifacts. Turkey has alots of ruins you can not finish BUT OTHER HAND YOU CAN BLAME US because of we can not protect them.

You know baldrick I have many stories I can continue and takes years and years.

When you are saying "Almost everything is fake" THINK TWICE.

lacontessa Started this forum to learn about the WEATHER and now subject changed to SHOPPING IN TURKEY or other thing. You can find the same WEATHER EVERYWHERE LIKE FAKE THINGS dear baldrick maybe in your country TOO. If you say NO. YOU ARE THE BIG LYER.

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:27 PM

You could find good leather in shops like Desa at istiklal caddesi, Derimod in nisantasý or at Akmerkez shopping mall... They will have the superior quality but more expensive than you may expect. However they do have good discounts time to time, than its a real bargain. Further ahirkapi there are few big malls selling only leather can't remember their names. I am also after a nice jacket and a suede shirt. Next week I am going to istanbul and if I find time I will search myself. I will certainly write my experience.

One thing I can say for sure ; if a leather good made with many pieces even the leather quality is good should not be expensive becouse its made out of small peices of good leather and cant be as expensive as the whole one or with 2 or 3 big pieces. Turkey is a leather country and out of all production one should not expect everything will be superior quality. Naturally not all parts of the skin is the same.

I belive in general prices are still more modist compering europe.

Happy holidays and happy shopping
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 12:47 AM

Sinan effendim,
There is no need to shout.
There is no need to get angry.
The information I gave to Marko comes from Turkish friends, some working in the tourist trade, some working in my office when I was in Istanbul and others. The context of my information is clear: the Grand Bazar and its leather and general textile shops. Fakes, poor quality and overpricing are omnipresent. In this context, I didn't blame anyone for anything. I just passed on a often verified information.

Furthermore, Sinan effendim, I have been to Anatolia, east of Ankara, and I do know the political situation, the living conditions of the people and the extreme generosity and hospitality I have always encountered. I am also aware of the despair of the extremely poor anatolian villagers arriving in Istanbul, I met some of them where I worked. But tourists walking away without paying ancient carpets is not the reason of this situation, no matter how much this kind of trade has to be condemned.

Turkey, dear Sinan effendim, is one of the most beautiful countries in the world, and also one of the very few countries with an agricultural potential for selfsupport. When I lived in Beyoglu, you see, I wasn't one of the fancy europeans living in Bebek or further north, I was always thrilled by the richness of the fruits and vegetables according to the different seasons.
A country with this basic richness should be capable of improving the education and schooling of its children. And that is the only way to get away from poverty.

At last, I have never stated that there are no fake objects in my country.
One more thing arouses my interest. I do not get why you mention having learned bad things from foreign people. I only hope it is not a reference to collecting commissions in the shops where tourist agents bring their tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -