Reload this Page >

Weather in Paris in late November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:37 PM
Judy

I have been to Paris many times, but always in spring or summer, which I love. But since I am a desert-dwelling rain-lover, I am going to Paris over Thanksgiving with the hope that it will be rainy and maybe even cold while I'm there. What are the chances I'll get my wish? And any suggestions for what to do on a wonderful wet and dreary day?

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 06:31 PM
cdf

Aaahh Judy, I will bet that you will get your wish at least once, while in Paris We always go to Paris in November and although we have never had really bad weather, there are at least a couple of good rainy days, and boy are they nice~Paris is just as beautiful in the rain! We always stay on the Left Bank, and we have breakfast in our room, then carrying our handy little umbrella and our museum card, we walk to the D'Orsay and wander and ooh and aahh over the wonderfullness of it all, then we shop in the museum shop for cards,calendars and souvenirs for family, then we have a lovely lunch in the museum dining room...by the time we have finished, the rain is gone~Or take a bus/cab/walk to the Louvre and do it again! Or by Thanksgiving, the Galleries Lafayette will be decorated for Christmas, you can go there and do your Christmas shopping, and go over to the Opera House and look around and admire the perfection of it! If you want - I can think of more~ C

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:28 AM
Phyllis Stein

Judy, <BR> <BR>I'll bet you get your wish ... in spades, if my previous experience is anything to go by. When I was there over T'giving in 1999, it was grey and cold and sometimes wet -- just like I'd always pictured Paris, as it happens. <BR> <BR>We were able to see the top of the Eiffel Tower from our hotel room (just), but plenty of days the tower was shrouded with fog. We never did bother to go up for the view since it was mostly socked in. The last day was clear and sunny and finally great for taking photos. I was very glad I brought gloves, a wool scarf, and something to keep my head warm. <BR> <BR>I'm going back at the end of November this year; I like misty grey weather too, and don't get enough of it where I live, either. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 11:53 AM
Judy

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I am really pumped to see a misty Paris, and know that I'll love it. I am also glad to hear that some Christmas decorations may be out. I usually go to Munich in December, but am making this trip to Paris instead, and a little earlier, and have been bemoaning the fact that I would probably miss a Paris Christmas experience! Thanks again!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 12:05 PM
elaine

Judy <BR>In the Xmas season, the large department stores are open on Sundays--don't know if that starts late Nov or early Dec, but you can check their websites. <BR>Last year I found wonderfully inexpensive Xmas decorations and ornaments, as well as expensive ones. <BR> <BR>If you want to have a cozy, leisurely lunch one drizzly day, I'll make a suggestion. La Bucherie, 41 rue de la Bucherie, in the 5th. On the left bank, just opposite Notre Dame. This is on one of the oldest streets in Paris. The cafe has a fireplace to feel cozy around, very good food, and excellent desserts. At lunch time they get a mix of casual drop-ins and business people. They are open for lunch, afternoon tea, and dinner. Basically continuous service from noon to midnight, so it's a particularly good place to go to, as we did, on your day of arrival when you're not sure if it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner time. We ate a proper European lunch (with courses!) and therefore happily made do with purchased cheese and fruit for "dinner" in our hotel room before we collapsed for the night. La Bucherie's phone is 01 43 54 24 52, but on a weekday we didn't find that a reservation was necessary, although we got there about 12:30 which is earlyish for lunc. Next door is the famous English-language bookstore Shakespeare and Co. <BR>

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 12:16 PM
x

We went last year for T'ving and it only rained one day out of the five we were there. It wasn't very cold, but nippy and crisp and great. Even the reainy day was great. The x-mas decorations were not out yet, but Paris was an absolute joy. I wanna go baaaaaack!!! (this year, I'm going to Kansas for Thanksgiving. Oh well.)

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:31 PM
Judy

Elaine, thank you so much for the suggestion about La Boucherie. I'm staying on the Left Bank (Hotel des Grandes Ecoles) and this will be perfect for me! I am very familiar with this area and know just where it is. Merci!