Reload this Page >

Wear good shoes.....

Search

Wear good shoes.....

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Joe

Wear good shoes.....

I swear that my Ecco shoes were a crucial factor in my recent trip to Italy. I never dreamed I'd do so much walking----and enjoy it! Don't wear new shoes.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Danna

Merrill Shoes are wonderful!!!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 05:22 PM
StCirq

Good advice. Europe is full of stones of every size imaginable - thick-soled, comfortable, sturdy shoes are essential if you are to explore and enjoy your travels.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 06:06 PM
diane

I have pair of Eccos, a pair of Merrell's and just bought a pair of Dansko sandals to walk me thru Europe this summer!

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Len

Are Nike's (sneakers) no good in Rome?

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 08:46 PM
Sue

The sole voice for Tevas here--they're like snowshoes for cobblestones and your feet can breathe.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 08:52 PM
Oaktown Traveler

Joe: Are they cute or attractive? Will they go with nice outfits? Is there a website so that I can see for myself? I am REALLY trying to learn all these Fodor's perspectives on travel shoes and the like. Thanks Joe and I am serious.

Old Apr 26th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Capo

My girlfriend, who usually is very cautious about things like this, brought a pair of nice-looking Aerosoles to Rome which she'd only worn for a couple weeks. I guess she thought this was sufficient time to break them in but, alas, she was wrong and she gained some new traveling companions: blisters. I, meanwhile, had happy feet in my well-broken-in, and very supple, dark brown Minnetonka moccasins, best traveling shoes I've ever worn. Even on the cobblestoned streets of Rome they came through with flying colors.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Jean

About a month ago I bought a pair of Aerosoles to wear in Italy. I've been wearing them constantly and they're very comfortable! I'm hoping I'll feel the same way while walking in Italy . . . I bought Aerosoles because they were inexpensive compared to a lot of other brands (paid $25). I'm leaving in 5 weeks, so guess I'll find out then!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Daddy

My wife and I both swear by shoes made by Josef Seible (I even have mine on now). They are so very comfortable, long wearing, very European in styling (which makes sense since they are German company), and fairly priced. They are wonderful shoes. Check them out.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:08 AM
bashful

curious to know when you are talking about the Ecco's, Aerosoles, Tevas etc. are you talking about sandals or closed in walking shoes. I've just bought a pair of Ecco sandals and was hoping this would get me through???

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Beth

If you want to be FASHIONABLE and comfortable, try Nine West Cloud Nine shoes!! The very latest fashions (very important to me, don't want old lady shoes) that are sooooo comfortable. Also they are usually $50 or less. Some aerosoles are nice too. They usually have some stylish options and are very flexible and comfortable. I wear Aerosole high heels to work often. The only problem with aerosoles is that the comfy soles are not real thick. If you are walking on gravel or cobblestone, you may feel it through the shoes.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:36 AM
Mel

I'm an Aerosole fan for city walking. I've taken two pairs on trips for seven years and they doon't wear out (though they DO, of course, get shabby looking!) I bought my husband a pair of Aerosoles for a UK trip last fall. He wasn't crazy about them (black tassled moc) because they are so soft and malleable they look kind of cheap. However, he agreed they felt great the whole trip! A plus was that Aerosoles black styles are so plain you can dress them up or down so they work day and evening. For trekking through the countryside, I have a pair of black Rockports that look like Doc Martens (they've come a long way from the beige "fogey" shoes they're known for). I LOVE Josef Seible clogs!

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Lily

I totally agree with Beth. Nine West's Cloud Nine shoes are extremely comfortable and look great. I also have a pair of Merrills. They are not as attractive, but they're fabulous.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:44 AM
Judy

Hi Joe, I can never resist a shoe thread(just call me Imelda). I love Aerosoles and Nickels comfort shoes(look like bowling shoes). <BR> I bought my husband a pair of Hush Puppies "lighter than sneakers" shoes, and I have to get him to put on his tenneys instead of the Hush Puppies, they are THAT comfortable and very nice looking-black oxfords(75$)... <BR>In fact, he is looking to replace all his shoes with them! FYI, Judy

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Susan

My advice is always take more than 1 pair of shoes. I usually take 3 pairs when I travel - since we tend to favour hot climates and I really dislike wearing socks when it's hot, I usually take 1 pair of fairly casual flat sandals which can be worn with a skirt or pants, 1 pair of slightly dressier sandals (low heel, but not flats) and 1 pair of closed toe shoes. All are comfortable. All have a thicker sole than the shoes I would wear in the office. All are comfortable - a couple of them were bought at a hospital 'footwear' clinic, but still look reasonably fashionable. I like to have different shoes - I think it's important to wear different heel heights for my comfort. Plus I love shoes and I don't want to be wearing the same pair day in / day out for 2 or 3 weeks! (Since I have small feet, they don't take up that much space.) And the bottom line is nothing is worse than sore feet.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Joe-again

My Eccos were closed shoe---the Cross model-you can order them from LLBean--Also, there's an Ecco web site---kinda cumbersome but you can get product info www.ecco.com

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Jamie

I have a pair of Eccos that I love. They are ridiculous looking (please don't tell me that Ecco has an attractive shoes--I've tried them all. They are all ugly, and intended for people over 45), but they are so comfortable that I don't care. And I don't care that I paid $135 for them. <BR> <BR>My husband swears by Sketchers for comfort, and they actually look good. They have a couple of styles that he can actually wear to work with some of his more casual suits. Also, his Timberland hiking books are extremely comfortable. I've not had good luck with Sketchers or Timberlands.

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 07:49 AM
chris

When you talk about the Nine West Cloud 9 shoes, do you mean the sandals? There seem to be a lot of different shoes under the "Cloud 9" label???

Old Apr 27th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Susan

Jamie, I'm sure you didn't mean it when you said "they are all ugly, and intended for people over 45"! As someone over 45, I'll be gracious and give you the benefit of the doubt - surely that was a typo! (Believe me, when you hit 45, you don't automatically start to wear ugly shoes .......)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -