Reload this Page >

We need new, fresh anecdotes!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Living

I'm stuck at home. Haven't been able to travel to Europe since last year. Please share with me some recent experiences of note. There have been threads in the past (that I really enjoyed) regarding moments of lunacy/zen, etc. For those of you who have been out and about in the last 6 months: Anything recent, fresh, different? Thx.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 06:14 AM
yes

Yes we do. I wish I could help.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Hi you

Hi: <BR>You should make the effort to get out. There are lots of deals now. Not that many people are travelling. We just came from a 3 week trip. Week 1 - cruise into Olymplia, Efeso, Istambul, Athens, etc. Week 2 - Italy Vennice / Florence / Rome. Week 3 - Paris. What can I tell you, fantastic. The best - Istambul- magical. The rest, full of wonder and art. Do try and make the time and effort. <BR>In Vennice I met Richard Neihouse, from the Owens Illinois. While living in Venezuela, he was kidnapped for 3 years. I was amazed to meet him, and he was amazed I even remembered his case (this was long ago). We met as Fodorites, which started our conversation. You never know what will happen at the turn of the corner.

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:11 AM
wes fowler`

If you’re looking for an anecdote that’s a bit different I may have one for you. Like you, I didn’t travel to Europe this year and plans for next year’s trip have been finalized for the most part. What to do? What to do in the interim? To escape the doldrums, I recently spent a long weekend in the charming town of Georgetown, South Carolina. Its historic district is compact in size, with broad avenues lined with one magnificent 200 year old home after another. Immense, ancient live oaks arch over the avenues creating a stunning arbor effect. As I sat on the veranda of a lovely two century old bed and breakfast viewing the scene, a lunatic thought or two crossed my mind. After God created the South Carolina low country, He said to himself “Good Lord, what have I done? I’ve created a land that’s hotter than Hades for folks who haven’t had the chance by their actions to prove that that’s where they belong. Better take the heat off. I’ll take a nano-second or two to create something that’ll offer them shade” and so He did. He readily recognized that His first effort was an absolute disaster. He looked at the thing and said to Himself: “By Jove, that’s the stupidest looking thing I’ve made since I created the duck-billed platypus and the armadillo. I don’t even know what to call it! I’ll just palm it off on Satan. Aha! That’s what I’ll name it – the Palm! And have another whack at coming up with something.” And so He did. His second effort resulted in the majestic live oak. He took one look and said, quite authoritatively: “Now there’s a tree, by God!” <BR> <BR>If nothing else, the above mental wanderings of mine, in lieu of European meanderings, prove that an idle mind is a dangerous thing. <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Laura

Wes, I bet that is exactly how it happened!! Thanks for the laugh...

Old Nov 6th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Diane

Love it, Wes! We needed to get out this weekend, as well. The sky was a brilliant blue and even though the leaves had passed their peak about 2 weeks ago, for some reason everything looked brighter and prettier than it had the day before. It's about a 90 minute drive for us to the area around the Skyline Drive and Shenandoan Parkway. We like to visit Virginia wineries -- and there are now quite a few. Some fantastic little towns, and lots of history in the area as well. Not quite as chic as California, nor obviously, as ancient and historic as Tuscany, but a good, quick fix for wanderlust. If you're interested, check www.virginiawines.org and follow some of the wineries links...although none of the photos do justice to the scenery. <BR>(And the wine ain't bad, either!)