Reload this Page >

We miss our US tourists!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 06:36 AM
Sive

The tourist industry in Ireland was just begining to revive after the Foot and Mouth crisis kept many US tourists away. The WTC tragedy has put the nail in the coffin. Without the American tourists many of our attractions are threatening to close. 150 bookings were cancelled at Bunratty Castle, and the shops in the "Folk Park" are closing. Shannon region is especially suffering and many B&B's are already closed. Is this happening anywhere else in Europe? We are very dependant upon US tourism, as many attractions and products in Ireland are geared towards Irish/American tourists. I would also like to say that Ireland misses you. Come Back soon!!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:07 AM
jmac

Oh NO, I plan on being there on Oct 2 to 12th. Sure hope all is not closed. Will be into Shannon around to Dublin and back to Ennis for last nite. Is that where Bunratty is? Will surely miss that and the folk park. Any other bad news.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:22 AM
Lauren

The US tourist industry is suffering as well. Tourism in general will suffer so long as people feel insecure about flying. <BR> <BR>Also, the US is a country in profound grief right now. When something like that happens, you just want to be home with family.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 10:06 AM
sive

to jmac <BR> <BR>So far, there are a few shops closed in the Folk Park in Bunratty, but the Park and Castle are still open for now. I don't think they will stay open through the low season, but you will probably be OK. I've heard as well that Kerry is suffering severe drops in tourist numbers as is also considering closing down some Heritage sights for the winter season. The good news is that the natural beauty of Ireland is never affected by politics, and neither are the pubs!! You will enjoy your stay, I'm certain. <BR> <BR> We in Ireland observed a National Day of Mourning on Sept. 14. The Irish Government called for all schools, government offices, shops, even hotels and restaurants to close. We wept with you. I have never seen this country so moved by any event. We know it takes time, and we will welcome our American friends when they are ready to come back.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 10:47 AM
An American

We don't want to stay away but I am one who has just cancelled a 2 week trip to Ireland and England. I am not scared of flying but I am scared to a few social rejects who have no hearts and support the total idiots of this world who do not know how to function in any society and become "cult members". Yes this is the same as a cult. We Americans hope to soon come backe to Europe and feel safe. We love you and your Countries and cultures!!!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 10:55 AM
Barney

I agree with an American and we have to think now how to spend our $$$$$ in the U.S. so we can help ourselves first. But your turn will come Sive just give us some time. We are grieving right now and hoping that others will help. Would you please come to visit our country. We need you.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 11:45 AM
jhm

Sive -- I am sorry to hear about your tourism problems. As a New Yorker, I understand how horrid it is to have so few tourists. We will hopefully be back, but in the meantime, I second an earlier poster's hope that you will come and visit us here and help us rebuild our city.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 12:22 PM
Wendy

Aloha Sive... I live in Hawaii.The immediate drop in our visitors was noticable. Employeers have paniced and have been reducing staff levels. As I understand it, most of our future bookings for independant travelers have not been canceled as of yet.. however many of the large groups/conventions have canceled. <BR>Anyway...My husband and I are traveling in early October. We will be visiting the UK, France & Holland. I was very scared at first. Now for some reason I am getting exited all over again. Terrorist' cannot run our lives. I will not give them the power to hold me hostage in my country. I want to see the world and meet all the wonderful people I can meet.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 12:40 PM
Vita

Sive, I'm also sorry to read about the travel problems. I've just recently started travelling internationally and hope to carry out my plans for Italy next month. Ireland is on my list of places I would love to visit in the coming years.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 01:10 PM
Pickens

Dear Sive: <BR> <BR>I wish I could come over now, but the projects I am involved with at work will not allow me to take vacation right now. <BR> <BR>To those who want to "spend your money in the US" you are doing that every day when you go to the grocery store, the mall, etc. Also, I have donated blood, bought a yard sign, sent a generous donation to the NY relief fund, etc. As the President stated, this is the best way to support your country. One can still travel to Europe and be supportive of the US. <BR>We are in a global economy and we can support it through travel. We need to support our allies. <BR> <BR>Hang in there, Sive, I will be in your beautiful country next year. God bless not only the US but the Irish as well!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 01:20 PM
Vita

I agree, Pickens. A couple of weeks ago, before this mess started, I was doing some shopping for my trip to Italy. I didn't end up getting anything for my trip, but while I was there, I bought some shirts that were on sale, and some picture frames. When you plan for any kind of travel, you shop before you go. You by film and then when you get back , you develop it. Maybe you decide you want some new clothes or comfortable walking shoes or a padlock for your suitcase. No matter where you decide to go, you are still helping the economy just by not altering your normal pattern of behavior. If you fear for your own safety, that's one thing, but I don't think you're doing anyone a favor by staying home.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 02:42 PM
amy

Sive, I am still planning on coming to Shannon area in late October.After reading this I am not very encouraged.I still can cancel and may do so if what you are saying is correct about sites being shut down.Has the tourism industry thought that they may be causing further cancellations by threatening to close their business?I am really disappointed. I'm going to start checking out the sites that I wanted to see and find out if they will still be open, pass the word around about keeping business open for those who are honoring their reservations.

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 06:05 PM
kalena

Aloha from another emerald island to yours! The ripple effect will continue for a while, and while it is unlikely that our family will make it to your lovely island soon, we hope to get there in the not too distant future. Like Wendy said, our islands have been hit hard by the immediate loss of tourism revenues. So some of us will be addressing more immediate concerns in the short-term, and trying to hold up our hotels and restaurants. It would be wonderful if more Europeans visited our country. Our trip next summer will be to New York. <BR>PS Wendy....have a fabulous trip, and do post your trip report when you come back

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:25 PM
Maureen

Sive, <BR>I am sorry about the tourism. My family is taking a holiday to Europe, yet this year, and hope to visit Ireland. This act of terror will not keep us jailed in our own country.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 01:55 AM
sive

To all: I will keep this page posted in there are any serious closures. The big Hotels ( Ashford Castle, Dromoland Castle, Adare Manor, Parknasilla etc) will be fine, as will Dublin, as they will benefit from UK tourism and weekend breaks. Its the already suffering West and South that will feel the losses most. I don't mean to panic anyone! I'm sure the tour operators will work itineraries around any attraction or Hotel that might not be able to remain open through the winter. Most tourists won't notice. I just think it is a pity that the smaller hotels and B&Bs and the lesser known tourist attractions may have to close. Over thirty percent of flights in and out of Shannon airport are cross-Atlantic, and many of those have been cancelled. Aer Lingus (our national carrier) is laying off one third of its staff. Ouch! <BR> <BR>I second the call to spend dollars in the US. I hope that Irish people would never let terrorists keep them from one of their favourite cities! I have the feeling, though, that it will not be fear, but economic conditions that may keep our people from spending money anywhere! The IT industry, and now the devestaing blow to tourism. Is our Celtic Tiger going into extinction? <BR> <BR>To "An American: The world is full of self- serving people who shroud their selfishness and ignorance in religion or politics. Thankfully, most of us would prefer to enjoy the world we live in and its wonderful diversity of people. <BR> <BR>To the Hawaiin islanders: We are very happy that Hawaii is now on our travel agents' books! I can't wait to visit your beautiful islands! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 05:48 AM
jmac

To Pickens and Vita, <BR>Thank you. After reading a few posts after my initial one, I began feeling I should take a 50 or 75% loss to cancel my trip to Ireland and spend the money here in the US. But you have given me great insight that I am doing all I can here to help. Donations and buying. So I'm going and will try to have a good time. I know just the countryside alone will be worth the trip.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 06:00 AM
Liz

I am leaving for a European trip today but unfortunately Ireland is not on the itinerary I hope to visit soon! I would love to see Ireland!!! <BR> <BR>I, for one, am continuing to enjoy life as best as possible and that includes travel. I won't let the actions of a few ruin it for me and I also will not live in fear. If the WTC tragedy taught us anything, it's that you need to live life to the FULLEST, because you never know when it will end. Unfortunately, those that are putting their lives on hold and stopping their travels are hurting the US economy and in a way are supporting the terrorists' cause. It's too bad.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Kim

Just got back yesterday from a trip to Ireland. While I spent most of my time in the North, I did get across to the Republic for a couple of days, and spent a fair amount of money. And as someone else already said, I spent plenty of money in the U.S. preparing for my trip, including the airfare I paid to United Airlines. I bought some new clothes, called friends and family over there to make arrangements to meet up, took a taxi to and from the airport, bought food at the airport, and at the grocery store to eat on the plane, etc., etc. <BR> <BR>I can't believe all of the people who are cancelling their trips. The only ones I do understand are those who lost friends, relatives and co-workers in the attacks, or whose jobs are related to rescue/clean-up efforts. It doesn't make sense to me. I'm LESS nervous about flying now than I was before. <BR> <BR>Sive--I fear the Celtic Tiger has run its course. Yes, foot-and-mouth did a lot of damage to tourism, as did/will recent events. However, a much larger problem is the fact that the money that has been freely flowing from the EU into Ireland is about to dry up. Ireland used to be just about the poorest country in the EU, but it is no longer, so that money will be diverted to more needy countries. And the economic downturn and possible recession in U.S. in turn will hit Ireland hard, as there are so many U.S. companies now with operations in Ireland. Tied to that is the fact that so many U.S. technology companies have located call centers in Ireland. These call centers were hailed as providing "good jobs" for educated people. However, the reality is that these places are the factories of the 1990s and 2000s. Burn-out and turn-over is high, and call centers are no longer attracting university graduates.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 10:43 AM
mfj

Sive, <BR> <BR>My husband and I will be in Ireland Jan. 2002. We are looking forward to our return trip, we spent sometime in Dublin and last Jan. and had a wonderful time. We are going to spend a few days in the Shannon area. <BR> <BR>Hope things stay open and tourism will pick up in time.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Dwabs

Liz wrote: <BR>Unfortunately, those that are putting their lives on hold and stopping their travels are hurting the US economy and in a way are supporting the terrorists' cause. It's too bad. <BR> <BR>Liz, do you not understand that some people do not share the same live and let live attitude that the minority of people have. Believe it or not, some of us have genuine reasons for choosing not carry on with their vacation plans be it actual fear, or a desire to be near loved ones. Yes, I am certain that this is what the terrorists want but more importantly and urgently this could potentially be the start of a new world war and I find it very difficult to spend my hard earned bucks on what was inteneded to be a positive vacation. I know that over the pond I will be watching CNN or reading the news everyday and not really relaxing, especially travelling solo. Right now there are more important things in life to focus on than escaping what I once considered a mundane lifestyle. What an arrogant, selfish attitude you have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -