Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WE HAVE 4 DAYS IN BELGIUM - SHOULD WE INCLUDE GHENT? Airport hotel suggestions.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have 4 complete days (5 nights) in Belgium as a "stop-over" on our way home from Croatia in May, 2009.

Our plans are as follows:

Sat. night and Sunday night - Brussels (good weekend rates at hotels) We are considering Hotel NH Grand Place Arenberg 145 euroes for 2 nights including breakfast. (This is a 4 star plus hotel) 1 Full day for Brussels.

On Monday morning leave for Bruges and stay Monday and Tues. nights in Bruges.
Will probably select B&B Absolute Verhulst (great reviews on Trip Advisor)

Have all day Mon, Tues. and most of Wed for Bruges before we need to get closer to the airport for a 10:00 a.m. flight on the 14th.
Should 1 of these days include a "day trip" to Ghent? or Antwerp? Which city, and why?

Where should we sleep of the 13th. ?? (keeping in mind we must be at the airport by 7:10 a.m. for the international flight.

Any "must does" for Brussels, Bruges, Ghent??

I have already gotten a lot of info from yk on another post. I appreciate all the experience you Fodorites have and would like your input.
Thanks to all!
Nannibray
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM

In Brugge you may also want to consider B&B Lut and Bruno Setola. It has a fine location, wonderful hostess, excellent breakfast, very comfortable rooms and all at an absolute bargain price. It also has great TA reviews.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:34 PM
DAX

I like Ghent and have been there twice as daytrips but have never spent the night there. It is rather compact but has plenty to enjoy, so it's ideal to enjoy in a daytrip. For the sake of simplicity, you may just add an extra night in Brussels and dedicate a day trip there.

Antwerp is further in the north end of Belgium so it's not as convenient to commute. I compare Antwerp as the Florence of Belgium just because it has so much art treasures while Brugge is like the Venice of Belgium with all the canals. If you are into Belgian/Flemish art then Antwerp is a must. I believe Antwerp is also the design center of Belgium so as a visitor I get the perception that it has more of artsy community.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:45 AM
yk

To me (others may disagree), Ghent has an "older" more medieval feel to it. Antwerp OTOH is "newer".

For anyone interested in van Eyck, I think Ghent is a must-see, for the Ghent Altarpiece.

However, if your interest lies in Rubens, then Antwerp is the place to visit.

I also find there's more to see & do in Antwerp compared to Ghent.

Truthfully, I don't think you need to be at the Brussels airport THAT early. I think you'll be okay getting there between 7:30-8am. You can still stay in Brussels center the night before (if you can get a good rate). The train from Brussels-Central to the Airport takes just 16 minutes.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Basingstoke2 for B&B suggestion . I have contacted B&B Absolute Verhulst and they don't have a double available on our dates but they do have their apartment. So will take a look at your suggestion.

(I believe you suggested the Kampa Garden Hotel in Prague to me and we stayed there and LOVED it so I will take a look at B&B Lut and Bruno Setola. Am also VERY tempted to just pay the price for the AV apartment.

Plans now are: 9 and 10 of May - Brussels (weekend rate); 11 and 12 Bruges.

Morning of the 13 - leave Bruges to spend day at either Ghent or Anthrep and spend night of the 13 at an Airport hotel. Hotels in Brussels and VERY expensive then (midweek). Think I can get a hotel near airport . ex. Novetel Brussels Airport (2.7 km) for 100 euros.(not booking yet as that rate is non-refundable)

But still have not decided between Ghent and Antherp.

Would train: Bruges - Ghent- Airport route be simpler and shorter than
Bruges - Antherp - Airport? for travel time??

I don't want our last day to have "hours" of travel time. However, we don't need to be at airport hotel until 20:00 or so.

Thanks everyone. yk am looking forward to your Trip Report when you return. DAX - Thanks for your opinion also!

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:35 AM
yk

<i>Would train: Bruges - Ghent- Airport route be simpler and shorter than
Bruges - Antherp</i>[sic]<i> - Airport? for travel time??</i>

Ghent to Brussels Airport vs Antwerp to Brussels Airport: Both look about eqi-distance to me.

I think Bruges-Antwerp is a longer ride than Bruges-Ghent.

If you go to Belgian Railway, you can plug in your cities and pull up train schedules. It will give you the train times as well as how often it runs.

The Belgian Railway website is quite user friendly, except that it doesn't like city names spelled in English. Moreover, it's language specific, so either names in French only or in Flemish only, without mix &amp; match with the exception of Brussels (Bruxelles).

So you need to type in either:
Brugge and Gent in Flemish
or
Bruges and Gand-saint-pierre in French

Bruxelles for Brussels - and you'll get a list of stations to choose from, which include Central (for town center) and the National Airport.

Since you will be traveling on train quite a bit, you may benefit from the 10-ride Rail Pass.
http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/tarifs/passes/rail/index.php
I was informed by a Fodorite here that it can be shared by more than 1 person. I think you may come out ahead with the RailPass than buying individual tickets. There is a fare calculator on the Belgian Railways webstie which you can compute the total of your trips.

Lastly, check out hrs.de for hotels. I used it to book my hotel in Brussels and the price it offered was lower than the hotel website rate.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM

just returned yesterday (trip report to follow soon!) and HIGHLY recommend in Brugge B&amp;B Sint Niklaas. Very good rate for a lovely 3 room B&amp;B in a perfect location with a wonderful hostess in Anne as well as a delicious breakfast every morning. We had room #2 and could see the belltower from our room very clearly (its a block away). It was our favorite lodging on the whole trip (and by far cheapest). julie
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:05 AM

just did this last week - Brugges to Gent about 30 min. Gent to Antwerp about 45/50min. I'd recommend Gent over Antwerp, although Gent and Brugges are more similar than Brugges and Antwerp. Antwerp is a medium sized city with lots of fashionable shops and is more cosmopolitan (but does have lovely historic building too). Gent is much smaller/walkable in a day. the Gent Alterpiece is really astounding.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM

Ghent is wonderful, but doesn't need an overnight stay. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

WOW! I AM OVERWHELMED WITH THE WONDERFUL INFO I HAVE GOTTEN FROM YOU ALL! THANKS !

THE TRAIN INFO IS VERY HELPFUL.

jck4 - WILL CHECK OUT THE B&amp;B IN BRUGES AND I KIND OF LIKE THE IDEA NOW OF GENT

IT SEEMS; SMALLER, EASIER, MORE MEDIEVAL,
THANKS SO VERY MUCH FOR SHARING!
PRAYERS!
MARY ANN
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 12:31 PM

Try also Guesthouse Bonifacius in Brugge http://www.bonifacius.be/ It is really beautiful, and on nice location along the canals!

Gent is just in between Brugge and Brussels. What you can do on your last day is leaving Brugge in the morning, take the train to Gent (20 minutes, 3 direct trains an hour), and in the evening travel to Brussels by train (25 minutes, every half an hour) and stay last night in Brussels. Stay in a hotel near one of the 3 trainstations (they all have good connection to the airport) or just near the airport http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/services/hotels/)
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 02:26 PM

B&amp;B Lut and Bruno Setola is also a fine choice for Brugge. It is an absolute bargain at about 60 euro including an excellent breakfast. Lut is a wonderful hostess and the location is excellent - under a five minute walk to the Grote Markt. The 3 rooms are large, modern and spotless. Check out the TA reviews.