Washing Machines in Barcelona

Aug 10th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Washing Machines in Barcelona

I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a hotel or apartment near the centre of Barcelona (Gothic Quarter, Sagrada, Eixample) which has washing machines available on-site for guest use.

Our big problem is that we normally stay in 4 or 5 star hotels, and would like to in Barcelona, but we will also need to do our washing in Barcelona, and don't like how it turns out when hand washing, and the send-out services that most of the 4/5 star hotels have is too expensive!

So, if anyone knows of a 4 or 5 star property with washing machines either on-site or on the same block(!!) please share your experiences with us! It will save us a lot of time if we don't have to go searching for a laundromat when we get into town!
Aug 10th, 2003, 11:57 PM

Gee some hope

Do they have electricity and water yet ?

Sorry

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Aug 12th, 2003, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

I understand if you can't help me with this question, but this forum is here so we can help each other with our experience and knowledge of destinations, and snide comments are not only a waste of time, but completely useless and annoying.

In the future, if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't bother saying anything at all.
Aug 12th, 2003, 05:51 AM
AllyPally

What about staying in a really nice apartment/hotel? Not really sure if they exist in Barcelona though so sorry can't be of much help. This is going to sound really goofy but when I went to Adelaide in Australia, I stayed in a fabulous 5 star hotel which had a kitchen, washing machine, etc. I love being able to do my own laundry rather than take lots of clothes.

Aug 12th, 2003, 05:59 AM
AllyPally

Sorry, just did a search on Citadines.com and they have one in Barcelona. It looks ok (blue and yellow are not my taste) but not 4/5 star standard...

Otherwise, if you were thinking of staying Claris or Hotel des Arts, why don't you give reception a quick call and find out if there is a laundromat nearby.

I'm sure you've thought of these already!!!

Aug 13th, 2003, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ally. Yep, we already looked into the Citadines. It looks quite nice and is in a fabulous location, but is 60 Euros more expensive than the H10 Montcada in the Gothic Quarter where we are planning to stay at the moment.

The only response I can ever get out of hotels when I ask if they have washing machines on site is "No, but we have laundry service @ $6.00/shirt and $4.00/underwear." (Big help).

But anyway, managed to get onto the Paginas Amarillas (Spanish Yellow Pages) and look under "Lavanderias Domesticas". As it turns out, there is a laundromat about 2 blocks away from the hotel.

It would still be easier to have the laundry in our apartment or building, as we could do the washing at night and save some precious touring time, but for an extra 60 euros/day, it's probably not worth it.

Thanks again for the help.
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:04 AM

I do not know Barcelona, but have a suggestion. Look for a drop off laundry service nearby (don't go thru your hotel front desk). You take it in the morning yourself, they do it - wash & fold, and you pick it up the next day?

This has worked for me other places... just a thought.
Aug 17th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Hi Benderbabe

We have just rented a good apartment through Urban Flats. They have quite a selection of decent accommodation including washing machines and tumble-driers in most, and a reasonable kitchen if you don't want to cook gourmet meals. Ours had a terrace or balcony with great views over the City.

Try this hyperlink to their website but watch out for the pickpockets in the metro and the main tourist and shopping areas.

Enjoy your trip.
http://www.urban-flats.com/
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. It looks like we've already done all the research we can, as we have looked up "lavanderias domesticas" at www.paginasamarillas.com to find drop-off laundry places and we've also looked at urban flats as well as ApartmentsApart, both of which have nice apartments available.

Problem is, the apartments are just as expensive if not more than the hotels, and most DON'T have washing machines, although some do, but not dryers.

We'll probably go with the drop-off option, but were trying to save time by having the facilities on-site!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. They are appreciated!
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:20 AM

I understand that you want to avoid the hassle of a laundromat, but if it comes to that, I suggest you check out the Let's Go guide book (not much on the website). It is geared toward budget travellers, who most likely need and use laundromats. They always list some with exact locations, prices, hours, etc. Tons of info. I used their recommendations in Italy and had no problems. Very simple.
Aug 25th, 2003, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip. I don't usually buy the Let's Go guides, because generally I don't like them as well as some of the others, but if they've got laundromat tips, it's worth taking a look.

Thanks again!
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:04 AM

My Lonely Planet show the following for Barcelona:
1) "Lavomatic" at Carrer del Consolat de Mar 43-45. Open 9 am-9 pm, Mon-Sat (Placa de Joaquim Xirau 1 area)

2) "Wash'N Dry" at corner Carrer de Torrent de l"Olla & Carrer Ros de Olano, (Gracia area). Open 7 am-10 pm daily.

3) "Wash'N Dry" at Carrer Nou de la Rambla 19. (El Raval area)

Hope this helps. I always take a LP when I travel for just this kind of information.
Jane