Reload this Page >

Washcloths in England!?!

Search

Washcloths in England!?!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 06:45 PM
margot

Washcloths in England!?!

Just curious...My husband and I have just returned from England. During the last part of our trip, we stayed in a few bed and breakfasts in Devon and Cornwall. The first had washcloths, but the second did not. When I asked the proprietor for a washcloth (thinking that she had simply forgotten to put them out), she looked puzzled and said, "Funny, I had a Canadian ask me for one last week. We don't have them. What do you do when you're finished with them, boil them?" <BR>We wound up using a clean sock for a washcloth. The third bed and breakfast also didn't have them-this time I didn't ask. Has anyone else had this experience? How do they clean themselves? (I didn't know the woman well enough to ask).

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 08:11 PM
Geoff

It's Europe - you bring them with you. You're lucky to have found that one place that wasn't quite so "continental". You surely won't find that elsewhere in Europe. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 4th, 1999, 11:00 PM
Donna

When traveling to Europe, you are more likely than not to find no wash clothes - or shower curtains...!

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 04:06 AM
s.fowler

We had a long [and entertaining] thread on this a while back. I'd suggest using the search function for "where are the washcloths"

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 04:44 AM
Lola

Dear Margot- <BR>One of the needs in traveling (and living, for that matter) is adapting. And since you asked, many of us go through life cleaning ourselves quite thoroughly without washclothes. You use soap and your hands. Useful when camping, up a creek, or anywhere. (And probably more sanitary.)

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 07:42 AM
Kayla

Ditto- I shower and wash my hair every day so why bother with a wash cloth- its not like I'm tromping thru mud- I just figure all that water and soap and towel drying has got to do it!

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 07:44 AM
Elizabeth

I agree with Lola, I've never used a washclothe to clean myself. I guess I was just taught that way. I did find that previous thread

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 07:45 AM
Elizabeth

I agree with Lola, I've never used a washclothe to clean myself. I guess I was just taught that way. I did find that previous thread, S. Fowler mentioned, entertaining aswell.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 12:20 PM
Ed

Amused by the replies. <BR> <BR>Whether washing with or without a washcloth is normal or deviant, one will rarely find them in Europe. <BR> <BR>If anyone should choose to write an illuminating and lighthearted essay on the subject I might be persuaded to publish it on our website.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 03:02 PM
Karen

If you forget to bring your own washcloth, in England ask for a face flannel...sold in some stores.

Old Sep 5th, 1999, 05:47 PM
D.B.

I remembered to take a couple of washcloths, but while unpacking the suitcase I held one up to brag... and immediately had a sponge pointed out to me. Ahhhh bathing sponges, and much more common in the stores. <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 01:03 AM
Jo

Definitely sponges rather than flannels! Go into any Body Shop in the UK to get a great selection. Much faster drying (and easier to keep clean) than flannels. <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 06:09 AM
Inky

Us Europeans have learned to wash with our hand and a bar of soap: <BR> <BR>1)Dip soap and hands into bowl or warm water. <BR> <BR>2) Apply soap to bodily part in need of wash <BR> <BR>3) Rub. <BR> <BR>4) Repeat then rinse. <BR> <BR>Not difficult.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 06:30 AM
Les

Such condescension on such a small and individual issue! <BR> <BR>First of all, there are those of us who think one does not get quite clean unless the skin has been scoured and buffed with a cloth. But some have skin too tender for such abuse. <BR> <BR>Moreover, there's a reason some call these "facecloths" rather than washcloths. A cloth allows for more careful cleaning of the ins and outs of a face, more or less gently as needed. <BR> And there are some among us who find the prospect of using the same hands and soap on the face that has been used ..elsewhere.. distasteful -- and would use a cloth on the face but nowhere else!

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 07:11 AM
Inky

Over here we have things called showers which magically wash away dirt/soap suds/grime etc ...

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 08:16 AM
Tony Hughes

hmmm I smell a rat here .... <BR> <BR>You get the accolades whilst I get the flak emails, huh??

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 12:08 PM
Whiteout

Can anyone who begins a sentence "Us Europeans..." be educated in the U.K.? <BR> <BR>For that matter, it's hard to believe some of the males riding the Underground on a hot afternoon have any knowledge whatever of soap and water (it's not a rat you smell). I love the idea of certain Brits lecturing on body hygiene! Same people who complain that Americans can't stand "normal" body smells and obliterate their god-given stench with deoderants?

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 12:09 PM
Whiteout

Deodorants.

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 01:15 PM
specs

I always knew that Fodorites were an opinionated bunch, but it seems we are quite fastidious as well. <BR>Margot, you might enjoy travel in Japan. No one leaves the house without a washcloth tucked in a pocket or purse. There are no towels offered at restrooms. Nor are there any of those hot air hand dryers. Everyone carries a small wash cloth and uses it to dry their hands. It is a sanitary and eco-friendly solution. <BR> <BR>I'm in the camp that doesn't use a wash cloth in the shower (true confessions time). I wonder if those who fear contamination from their own hands glove up before showering or any other personal activity. I don't want an answer, I'm just musing. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 07:06 AM
elvira

In addition to the "where the heck is the washcloth?" debate, I want to know what the deal is with TOWELS. Whether here in the States or overseas, every hotel seems to give you ONE bathtowel and ONE handtowel - I can never figure out how I am supposed to dry my hair. Dry my body while my hair keeps dripping water on me? Or wrap my hair in THE bathtowel, then, with the damp towel, dry my body? Why don't hotels give us TWO bath towels? If I ask the maid, she'll give me another bathtowel, but geesh aren't two bathtowels SOP for just about everyone? Or am I doing something wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -