Warwick by Train

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Lili

Warwick by Train

I'll be traveling to England next week and will be doing quite a bit of rail travel with by Britrail pass. Got most of my trip figured out except one item. I'll be taking a day trip from London to Warwick, seems direct trains leave both Marylebone and Paddington Station, but different lines - Chiltern and Virgin. Is one of these a better choice than the other? I have a 1st Class pass does that make a difference in seating on either line? And lastly, do I need a reservation if I'm going on a weekend? Thanks much!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Virginia

I've ridden the Virgin trains frequently -- nothing fantastic but not bad. Never used the Chiltern train. I'd make my decision on which station is better served by the tube line that serves my hotel.<BR><BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:02 AM
PatrickW

Chiltern trains are fine - good reputation for reliability, and since they only do the one line they seem to be able to concentrate on the passenger, unlike some other companies. On the other hand, this has always been the 'back route' and I don't know if it takes longer from London.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Lori

We've taken the Chiltern Line from Marylebone to Warwick - no problems were had! It takes about 90 min. and the trains have trolley (snacks) service and restrooms.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Lili

Whoops - I made a mistake in my query,<BR>looks like the train out of Paddington is run by Thames Trains, not Virgin. Any comments on this line versus Chiltern, my hotel is closer to Paddington.