Reload this Page >

WARS Trains--Please give me info

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Russ

I have read a little about the WARS train on the website I am looking to take a train from Prague to Krakow. When I went to the WARS website I see there is a train that runs from these two cities. It says the cost is around $49 USD for a single compartment (not a couchette). A few questions. <BR>--Can I really get a separate sleeping car by myself (I am traveling alone) <BR>--It has to be more than $49 USD. Is this above another fee? <BR>--If so, how much is that fee?(estimate) <BR>--Has anyone ever travelled on the WARS trains? <BR>--Are they safe? <BR>--Are they nicer than the PKP(?) trains? <BR>--Do they take your passport when you load as they do in France? <BR>--Do they speak any English? <BR>Any other info is greatly appreciated. <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Ben Haines

You're right: the $49 is for the berth supplement. You also pay about $60 fopr the basic first class faare. You can cut both these figures by a third if you share with two strangers of your sex in a 3-berth sleeper. <BR> <BR>I find WARS neat, spotlessly clean, and served by helpful sleeper conductors, many of whom use English, at lesast enough to do their job. Most WARS cars are modern, and your route is a major money-earner for hem, so you have their best. I'd compare WARS with the best of PKP's day train seats, and thus a deal newer and better maintained than the worst of their day trains. They are safe: you can lock your door, but also can chain it, and the chain only you can operate, from indside. I'm afraid they leave your passport to you, since the Czech and Polish Republics are not yet in the European Union, and the inspectors want to see your face. But they see it as you lie in bed. <BR> <BR>Nicer ? To my mind yes: your private world. But of course, you miss the passing landscape. <BR> <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2001, 03:15 PM
Cat

We are looking to do a trip from Krakow to Prague via train- can you give me the internet address of this site WARS? <BR>Thanks very much, <BR>Cathy

Old Sep 20th, 2001, 08:10 AM
Ben Haines

It's http://www.wars.pl. <BR> <BR>I was in a berth of theirs on the midnight express from Szeczin last night. Very pleassant, but the morning coffee is as bad as ever. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, in Krakow

Old Sep 21st, 2001, 12:08 PM
Russ

Ben, <BR> <BR>Thanks. I always look forward to your response. I may send an email and ask a few more questions. I still plan on going to Europe in November, even if the rest of the US is cancelling their trips due to Sept. 11. Also, it is nice to see someone who is a mobile computer user. (That is the business I am in.) Take care, thanks again and I will forward or post other questions. <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 11:06 AM
Peter

Russ: Just watch your valubales at both stations also when boarding and exiting the trains. Once onboard you should have no problems. From Krakow you also have a good connection to Zakopane which is worth a visit. Also not sure how you connecting but Wroclaw (kindof between Prague and Krakow), is also nice. Another option is maybe renting a car in krakow (ask for snow tires and chains if planning to drive to zakopane in november). Don't rent a car while in krakow since you will not be even able to use it, but once you finished with Krakow and want to see more outside. <BR>And there is so much to see!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:47 AM
Ben Haines

Jolly good: I'm back at the weekend, and reading my e-mail then. <BR> <BR>The warning about pickpockets at both stations (and luggage thieves on the train: please lock your fdoor) is sound. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines