Wardrobe for Italy

Jan 29th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Michelle

Wardrobe for Italy

Can anyone give me some tips on what to wear in Italy? I'd like to pack relatively light, and not look like a total tourist. I know the Italian women are world-renouned for their sense of style. We are planning a wide variety of activities including possibly attending an opera at LaScala in Milan. Planning our trip for May or June.

Also, if anyone can recommend some stylish shoes that will not ruin my feet with a day of walking, I'd appreciate it.

Jan 29th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Sharon

On my trip to Italy I took a blazer of neutral color, one sweater, one skirt, 1 dress, and comfortable long pants with tops. I also brought accessories, including scarfs and belts. I avoid wearing jeans in cathedrals. Most comfortable shoes are good quality leather shoes. I took with me 2 pairs of Etienne Aigner shoes in black/brown. Look for soft leather, sturdy shoes, with grids on bottom for those wet days.

Jan 29th, 2002, 01:37 PM
ellen

FYI, La Scala in Milan is closed for a few years for renovation. Performances are being held in a venue in the suburbs.

Jan 29th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Kay

I like Donald Pliner shoes for Europe with rubber soles.

Jan 30th, 2002, 04:30 PM
r

There are many Arche shoe styles that go great with pants and skirts. The thick rubber soles are excellent for walking on cobblestones and generally uneven areas and they will take you into the evening as well. You may even find some fabulous shoes in Italy. Also, in the warmer weather I always bring peds for under the closed shoes. They will help to prevent rubbing and blisters. There's a lot of great looking clothes now in stretchy fabrics that don't wrinkle. They pack down to almost nothing, leaving room for your accessories that will dress up any outfit. If you wear mostly black you will blend in rather well! I recommend a light sweater or shawl for going into churches and keep it in your day pack.