"Wants/Needs" in an apartment

Mar 12th, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

"Wants/Needs" in an apartment

What is the most needed item in an apartment, which might not be supplied. As an example, a hairdryer. Or maybe a corkscrew hasn't been supplied.

I'm furnishing a new apartment for rental and it will for the Mediterranean coast. Since so many Fororists will have a better idea than myself, what is "The Most" for your vacation apartment.

Blackduff
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Okay, I should have previewed. Replace "Fororists" to "Fodorists".
Sorry

Blackduff
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:08 AM

We do not seem to be able to manage the coffee pots that are used on the stoves.

The last apartment we rented had one of those and also a Mr. Coffee type, which we appreciated.

Also, extra pillows.
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:19 AM

Instructions on how to work things (ie light switches, electric outlets, dialing the phone, remote control for tv).
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:34 AM

Hi blackduff, hair dryer and corkscrew for sure. I think a short list of emergency numbers, yours and/or your apartment manager phone no., police, fire and medical emergency no's. Also it would be helpful to have a list of nearby restaurants with addresses, phone no's..maybe the restaurants would each give you a memo to put in the apartment, good advertising for them. Also the name and location of the nearest market and if there is a weekly market info regarding that would be good. I would take a few minutes to put myself in the tenants place, no doubt they will not be familar with the area. For example, where is the nearest pharmacy, gas station etc.

A an extra blanket or two. Dish towels and plenty of hangers. I would add to mclaurie's suggestions instructions on how to use various appliances such as stove/oven, microwave, dishwasher, washing machine etc.

Where will your apartment be located blackduff?
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:36 AM

A looseleaf binder with instructions for all the appliances/whatever in the apt. Also in the binder instructions on using the phone, what stations the t.v. gets (or does not get), where the nearest ATM/Bank is located, where the nearest grocery store is (a map of local area would be nice).

Personally, I like places that have a safe in the apt. for guests valuables. It's worth looking into having them mounted in a closet or something.
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Blackduff, my wife and I have rented something like a dozen houses and apartments in France. There are a couple of needs that spring to mind:

- We often read during the evenings, so two bright lamps in the sitting room are important for us.

- We're cooks, and while we often eat in restaurants, we enjoy buying local ingredients and preparing some meals ourselves. I'm assuming you will have a fridge, stove, oven, microwave, pots, pans, dishes, and cutlery. But knives and chopping boards are also important. If you're really kind, you'll add in a knife sharpener.

- A seive and a colander are fairly critical; a measuring cup and measuring spoons are nice to have.

- Eggcups are also nice to have, although we have improvised with paper towel stuffed into a teacup. Let's see, what else ... a can opener that works and a salad spinner.

- Cotton sheets in preference to a synthetic blend, and for the summer, a light cotton blanket as an alternative to a duvet.

If we think of anything else, I'll post again.

Anselm
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Ice cube trays. And proper ice cube trays - not those that make itty bitty 1/2 inch balls. Less of a problem in some countries - but I have probably provided new ice trays for 7 or 8 flats I've rented over the years.

A very modest amount of staples -- salt, pepper, paper towels, tea/coffee/milk/sugar (just enough for a cuppa or two when they first arrive).

Mar 12th, 2006, 06:17 AM

Hi,
There was a thread last may which could interest you :
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34622021
and too others of general interest with maybe good ideas for you
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34600709

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34655759

good luck with your apartment!
coco
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Hi Janis, I remember you were on one of those postings, about ice cubes!
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:25 AM

Things I have often had to bring or go buy:
Tall glasses- for drinks with ice in them.
Sharp knife and cutting board
Large salad bowl and servers
Washcloths
Clothesline/drying rack

And I always ask for a standalone electric coffeemaker. Can't handle those little espresso things.
There often is no dish rack or dish drainer. Its nice to have one under the sink in case its needed.
A couple wastebaskets, and plastic liners with directions of where and how to dispose of trash.
As tacky as it is- we prefer rentals where there are plastic dishes and glasses. Good for clutzy folks who don't want to break the dishes provided.
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Yep - its sort of an "American thing" Some even put ice in perfectly cold soft drinks straight out of the fridge.

Many in the States have automatic ice cube makers in their freezers so they can be surprised about not having ice.
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:34 AM

oops - my last post should have been addressed to cocofromdijon.
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:38 AM

Don't worry janis, we all understood! ;-)
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:38 AM

I'll second the lightbulb request. If not good bulbs in all the lamps, at least higher-wattage lamps in one or two comfortable reading areas. Also good lighting over the kitchen and bathroom sinks.

If there's not much room around the bathroom sink for people to put their "stuff" and especially if no cabinet around the mirror, then a small vanity table - preferably with 2 shelves - is always appreciated.
Mar 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Loveitaly
"Where will your apartment be located blackduff? "

This on the beach on Argeles Sur Plage. This is a sandy beach near the Spanish border on the Med. It's the French Catalan area.

The apartment is on the frontline on the beach.

I have lived in this area for twelve years and I'm very happy about the region. We should have the TGV within a few years and this should be direct to Barcelona at that time.

Blackduff

Mar 12th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Large beach towels! If you are a frontline property, you want to make sure that they keep the beach towels separate from the nice bathroom towels.

2 folding beach chairs and a cooler. . . even though it is on the beach, your guests might want to hit the beach all day.

If this is not an urba that already has an outdoor shower, can you put one on the patio? (maybe you have a groundfloor). It keeps the drains from clogging inside.

we keep 10 pairs of multi-sized houseshoes so that our guests don't track around the apartment.

Spanish phrase book for non-Spanish speaking guests.

Phone number for your caretaker/cleaning lady.

Extra twin size mattress(es) under one of the twin beds.
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:34 AM

If your apartment does not have a washer and dryer, post EXPLICIT DIRECTION for using the washer and dryer in the local laundromat. We spent a lot of time in a laudromat in Lake Garda trying to figure this out...finaly a local took pity on us and showed us, money in the wall, settings, whew..
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM

You'll have two types of renters - those who cook and those who don't.

BUT here's what I want in an apartment:

1) Washer and dryer that actually work. And instructions. None of this fake all one unit thing. They are horrible.

2) Ice in the freezer.

3) Comfy, durable furniture.

4) Good sheets on the bed.

5) Plenty of towels.
Mar 12th, 2006, 10:30 AM

w, you might get a washer and a dryer in a house or a large flat in France but in a small flat you will mostly find a washer and nothing else, and it is not very handy to dry your clothes in the middle of the living room on a clothes-horse...

Now a lot of young couples (or elderly persons) in tiny flats use a washer dryer and they manage very well

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO