Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Want to see the best of Greece in the month of June.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Cathy

My husband and I are planning a trip to Greece in June. We plan on being gone for 7 - 10 days. We will be flying American Airlines, which I do not think flys into Athens. Any thoughts on where we should visit, where we should stay and how we shoul get around? We had originally thought about sailing in between the islands.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Tammy

If you want to see a number of islands, you should consider a cruise. I've heard the ferries are unreliable.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Diane

If you enjoy cruises, by all means take one. But if seeing the islands is more important than the cruise, plan on spending at least three nights on each. Two of the more popular islands are Mykonos and Santorini. It's been a long time since I've been there, but Paros was also quite enjoyable, but a little too much like Mykonos to recommend them both. With limited time, flying between the islands is your safest bet. I also recommend at least the last night in Athens to be sure you catch your flight home. at the end of the trip. If you do a search above on these islands you will find many posts with recommends on lodging and transportation options.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Cathy

Tammy, <BR> <BR>Thank you for the thoughts about a cruise. I have thought the same thing myself. I am not sure that we are cruise people, we more like to rome around and set our own schedule. I am concerned that we will not have enough time to get a good feel for Greece. <BR> <BR>Diane, <BR> <BR>Thank you for you thoughts on which islands to visit right now, Santorini, Naxos (or Paros) Mykumos are in the running. I have also heard nice things about Rhodes. Any thoughts on how long to stay on each island? What about sights that we can't leave Greece without seeing?

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:07 AM
barbara

If you only have 7 - 10 days (which may or may not include your travel time to and from Greece), I would not try to see too many islands, as you will spend time getting from one place to another. We were there for 13 days and went to athens, santorini, paros and mykonos (which are all in the same island grouping making for reasonable inter-island travel). If I had that trip to do over again, I would do without Mykonos and split my time between Paros and Santorini, or pick another island. With only 10 days, I would only do two islands plus athens.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 05:22 AM
Rex

Hopefully, you already know this, but it bears repeating, the website www.Greektravel.com by Matt Barrett is quite possibly as good as any guide book, if not better. <BR> <BR>And high on my own personal "wanna do" list is to travel by flotilla - - see www.greecetravel.com/gpsc on Matt's page for more info. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 03:21 PM
cathy

Barbara, <BR> <BR>Thank you for your thoughts. I think I have already decided that we need to stay longer. right now I am thinking at least 11 days. I do not know if that is enough time to do 3 islands. I have heard the same about Mykonos. What are your thoughts on Rhodes and Crete? What are the must sees? <BR> <BR>Rex, <BR> <BR>Thank you for pointing me to Matt's web site. I checked it out and it is great. Also thank you for the flotilla suggestion. I would have never even known about it. Anything else on the must do list while in Greece? <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Diane

It's been 10 years since I was on Rhodes. Out of the way, really, with limited time. There were options on where to stay. The most interesting would be inside the old town walls. I spent one night there. Staying/wandering through the old city is fascinating -- people were living in the same buildings as they did hundreds of years ago. Of course, now with electricity, televisions, running water, etc. Lots of shops and restaurants and lots to keep me occupied. A couple of times a week they let the tourists wall along the wall. Also spent a couple nights in the "new town" section, which I don't recommend. Nothing charming about it, in my opinion. Lots of people stay in the resort dotting the beaches -- I thought they looked crowded and not charming either. We rented a car one day and drove around the island.

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Diane

My typing really is getting poor. I meant to say "walk around the wall", and there are many resorts along the beaches.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 09:25 AM
jane

Well I don't think the ferries are unreliable at all. We have been going to Greece for over 20 years, and the last two lived there all summer on the mainland and visited several islands via the ferries. Remember they catch ferries like we catch buses. We never had a problem with a late ferry or cancellation, and this includes the Greek ferry from Italy to Greece and back. <BR> <BR>Great islands to see I would say are Chios (very pretty, not touristy 90% of the place, friendly people, pretty beaches and lovely medievel villages. Another lovely island on the opposite side is Skopelos. Very pretty, lovely to eat by the harbourside, interesting shops and pretty small avenues at the back of the main town. Then there is Leros (on the same side as Chios) which is lovely, friendly people, not touristy but like Chios sufficient tourism to provide good tavernas etc. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>We are off again in May, BY FERRY, from Italy to Greece, and plan to visit Ikaria this time BY FERRY !!!! Place your trust in them, I am sure you wont be let down.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:04 PM
CATHY

Jane and Diane, <BR> <BR>thank you for the information. Jane - where do you catch the ferry from Italy and how long does it take? Is it expenseive? I am still trying to figure out the best way to get to Greece

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Rex

Cathy, <BR> <BR>I think that the best way to get to Greece is to fly - - see www.europebyair.com for numerous connections. <BR> <BR>As for ferry info, that's how I got to Greece in 1969, but of course, I couldn't tell you anything detailed about that. I came back through Yugoslavia, which few people would choose to do today. However you go there (especially if it is by air), the fare might be better if you return on the same carrier - - although this is not true on EuropeByAir. <BR> <BR>After Matt's site, the second best collection of internet info on Greece (also true for other destinations in Europe) is on www.about.com - - or more specifically http://gogreece.about.com/travel/gogreece/mbody.htm (no "www") - - for Greece. <BR> <BR>You'll find there this page on ferries - - both withIN Greece and for getting to and from Greece - - http://gogreece.about.com/travel/gog...ries/index.htm (once again, no "www") - - when I have looked at this stuff before, not every link was totally up-to-date. It may be a challenge to get June information (perhaps it doesn't change much from year to year) before May. <BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 09:53 AM
jane

Cathy, we catch the ferry from Venice to Patras. The first year we went from Venice to Igoumenitsa (we live in Halkidiki in the summer, by the way) but the journey over the mountains was so torturous that we tried Patras last year and it was much better. The same ferry also calls in at Corfu.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip to and in Greece.<BR>Jane

Old Apr 3rd, 2001, 10:09 AM
Thyra

Hi Cathy, <BR>This past October, myself and my husband along with another couple chartered a 38 foot yacht to explore the Saronic Gulf islands and the Peleponnesian (Sp?) penninsula (8 days). It was the experience of a life time! Terrific captain, top notch gear, surprisingly affordable and just too fantastic. If you change your mind and decide to go this rout, let me know, there are about 10 million charter companies in Greece and some of them are shady. But we were sooooo pleased with our trip.