Reload this Page >

Walking Venice in 4 Days

Search

Walking Venice in 4 Days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Regina

Walking Venice in 4 Days

Any suggestions for walking tours of Venice in April would be appreciated.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:40 AM
dale

leave your hotel and walk. if you don't get lost in venezia you're not having fun.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:54 AM
janice

Pick a destination - point yourself in the general direction - get lost repeatedly - ask directions - repeat as necessary. <BR>Seriously, Venice is not a city that really lends itself to walking tours in the way you would in Paris, Rome etc. It's quite small, and very convoluted, and even the best maps don't seem to do a whole lot of good. (I've been there many times, and am an ace map reader, and still get lost routinely) <BR>Plan to get lost and love the beautiful views around every corner, and you'll be fine.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 11:31 AM
Santa Chiara

In the Cadogan Guide to Venice, Dana Facaros has laid out six walks, dividing the city up into its logical geographical sections. I have tried to follow them, but I kept getting distracted. I agree with the others posters about just wandering around. However, it may be wise to divide your days to explore four sectors thoroughly. <BR>For guided walking tours, others have recommended American Express, as well as an individual named on a recent post. I am not familiar with either, so can't recommend. <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Howard

The previous posters have steered in the right direction. I would recommended only one guided tour--the half-day offered by American Express, which covers St. Mark's Cathedral and the Doges Palace. Otherwise, as the others have said, just go out and walk, walk and walk.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Amanda

Hi, I just came back from Venice. We were there for 2 days. I would recommend to just "get lost" there and forget about the walking tour. My bf and I would start walking in Venice at 10am and get lost for the rest of the day and find our way back to the hotel by 11pm at night. <BR>I think its the best way to get to know Venice! But try to find a really good walking map, because the map they give u at the train station is NOT useful at all! Have fun!

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:02 PM
Melissa

Or befriend an off-duty gondolier, who can tell you about everything you come across as you walk, walk, walk.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 01:43 AM
sylvia

Yes,just get lost. You wander down little alley ways and suddenly come upon a beautiful church or a square and of course can never find them again. <BR>Our most useful phrase was a plaintive "Ci siamo persi, dove siamo!" <BR>Of course the person you ask is probably from Rome and as lost as you are but it's fun poring over maps with them.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Holly

Beware of those off-duty gondoliers. They like to do more than just talk and walk.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:42 AM
elaine

My most valuable guidebook was a Frommer's publication Walking Tours Venice but it seems to be a very difficult book to find. It was perfect because not only did it guide me step by unfamiliar step through the various neighborhoods but it also gave brief explanatory comments on my surroundings, and even on individual art works and cafes to stop into along the way. If there is no such thing for you as having too much information and detail, then think about buying the book Venice for Pleasure by J. G. Links. It is available from the Common Reader catalog www.acommonreader.com and possibly from other sources. <BR>This book has walking itineraries including places to stop for rest and refreshment, and wonderful details on things to look at while you are walking and even while you are sitting down.. This book is not useful for restaurants or hotels or hours that sites are open. Includes history, and comments on Venice from famous writers of the past like John Ruskin. <BR>There were also self-guided walking tours suggested in an article in Travel and Leisure magazine. <BR>You can access that article, and many more links about Venice, by going to <BR>www.pathfinder.com/travel/TL/ <BR>tarticles/136.html <BR>At the train station, some hotel lobbies, etc you can pick up a free copy of Ospite di Venezia ("A Guest in Venice"). This is a monthly magazine published by the Tourist Information office, in Italian and English, that outlines events, museum exhibits, concerts, restaurants, water transportation, walkng tours, even train timetables for the coming month. www.gpnet.it/guest_ve/ <BR>Not sure if this website is the same organization or not: www.guestinvenice.com/homeeng.asp <BR>Some more facts to help you orient yourself <BR>Do look at the website www.initaly.com/regions/veneto/ <BR>ovensty.htm. <BR>which is an excellent explanation of how the streets are arranged in Venice. It won't entirely keep you from getting lost, but it will help. <BR>tours in addition to Am Ex <BR>www.walksinsidevenice.com <BR>www.travelvantage.com/tours <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 09:07 AM
carol

Thanks to Elaine for the great website recommendations--common reader is terrific.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:41 AM
Lexma90

Another resource that we've used and enjoyed - like getting lost but you know a little more about what you're looking at - is Venicewalks. I don't remember who wrote it or publishes it. There are 4-5 tours of different parts of Venice, including the more residential parts, and it describes some of the buildings, gives some history, and recommends places to stop for a drink or a bite to eat while on the walk.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:56 AM
KT

I liked Venicewalks, too (author Chas Carner, publisher Henry Holt) but it's now out of print. I'll rent out my copy for a reasonable, fee. I have seen, but not heard, an audiocassette of Venicewalks recently, though, so I guess that's in print.