Walking shoes or boots for cold weather-ladies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Venice, Italy in December. I will be wearing slacks that do not fit inside of boots. A dark brown boot or shoe is my preference and I would appreciate any suggestions for an excellent walking boot or shoe. Thank you very much.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 06:49 AM

clarks is my go-to for either good walking shoes or short boots. depends on your foot, really and what fits you best.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 08:12 AM

I bought some Ahnu Montara II in black leather for a recent trip to Ireland. They are waterproof and absolutely the most comfortable shoe I have ever had. Beats my favorite Keen's, Ecco's, etc. I think I only take them off to sleep!! I found mine at REI.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 09:16 AM

For Venice in December you might need boots that are waterproof to your knees -- no joke. I don't suggest buying them just of this trip, but if you have a shoes size that runs to the smaller sizes, rather than over a US 9, you can buy them in Venice if you need them.

Other than that, you should still wear warm socks that go to the knee and whatever walking shoe/boot that you buy, make sure it is waterproof and has a thick sole that deters cold. Venice has a lot of damp and draft at foot level, plus lots of frigid walking surfaces, including stone floors inside cold churches and palaces. Being warm and dry from the knees down will greatly extend your ability to walk around all day sightseeing comfortably.

I once took recommendations off the internet for walking shoes that I wore to Italy and they threw out my back. I have tried on many recommended brands of walking shoes only to find they hurt my feet, just to try them on. I like Canadiennes, but they might not work for you. Zappo's has a great return policy. No one brand of walking shoe or boot is a good fit for all feet, so you need to try them on and walking up and downs stairs in them (loads of those in Venice) and feel them out for potential problems.
Old Jan 6th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much for your suggestions and tips for staying warm and dry. I will heed the excellent advice given. Ciao for now~
Old Jun 1st, 2015, 02:59 AM

Wear shoes with light weight material. it protects you to injuries of legs and you can easily walk or run on your track. i personally prefer you to wear shoes.
Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 06:11 PM

My North Face Janey boots are my cold weather shoe choice.
Old Jun 4th, 2015, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Janey boots, too, but I find them much too warm indoors, so I couldn't wear them in a situation where I'd be going in and out of museums, restaurants, etc. Maybe I have warm feet...?

I like Clark's Wave Trek lace-up shoe and Muckers Ridge zipper closure boot. Both have removable footbeds for faster drying or if you need to add orthotics. I personally wouldn't slosh around in the acqua alta in Venice, so I wouldn't need a knee-high boot.

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/w...her/p/26061358

http://www.clarksusa.com/us/womens/w...#BVRRContainer
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 01:18 AM

one flat boot will slove it http://www.coobean.net/fake-furry-ro...ots-p-303.html