Walking Shoes: I'm in love with my Merrell shoes!! - Just returned from Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the many posts about shoes before I left for my 3-week trip to Italy (Rome/Amalfi Coast/Umbria). I bought three pairs of shoes:
Munro's - nice walking shoe at home, but didn't do very well on cobblestones

Ecco sandles - same
]
Merrell Jungle Moc - These are the ugliest shoes I have ever seen & the most comfortable. They have very thick soles & were wonderful for walking in Rome. I highly recommend them. I ended up wearing them day & night. The other shoes were nice walking shoes, but you can't compare them to the Merrell's.

Hope this helps.
Maria
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 02:36 PM

I feel the same way about my Mephistos sandals. Bought them for Paris - and still wear them every day. My feet just say "ahhhh" when I slip them on. I think the thick cork sole that molds to the foot is the biggest reason for the amazing comfort.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 02:42 PM
cmt

I have those shoes, too. They're wonderful! A similar shoe is the Merrell Primo Moc (not the slide, which is more widely available, but doesn't give enough support, though it's high priced). The Primo Moc is not as ugly, because it fits closer, has smoother (not suede) leather, and the sole, though still thick, looks more normal from the side and doesn't have those weird athletic-shoe-like markings. You need thinner socks for the Primo Moc to fit and it may be better for a slightly naroow foot. You could look "normal" wearing the Primo--not fashionable, but normal--so it could double as both a "nice" walking shoe in a city and a sturdy ahthletic walking shoe. The Jungle Moc, though, is better for heavier duty walking becaseu you can wear thicker socks and it is extremely roomy, allowing space if the feet swell.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 04:43 PM

I was planning on taking 2 or 3 pairs of my Birkenstocks. I love these sandals (so comfortable) and where them all the time once spring comes until well into the autumn (evenfor distance walking here at home - Canada). I have never been to Italy (Europe). Will I be sorry if this is all I take to wear?
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 05:52 PM

I have a pair of Merrells that I really like, although after a year or two (and two pairs) my feet started wanting something different part of the time. But the Jungle Mocs sound great. Do you think they would work well for someone with fairly wide feet which tend to pronate?
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:36 PM

I thought I bought some Merrells today- ha they are called Hi-Tec shoes. I wore them home with no socks- very comfortable. I have wide feet with almost no arch. Can't wait to try them out!
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 06:52 PM

My Merrells served me very well on our last trip to Europe. Unfortunately, they discontinued this specific line. I was able to buy 2 pair at close-out prices and have worn them for nearly 2 years now.

Great walking shoes.

MvK
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM

Does anyone have experience using any of Merrell's sandals or flip flops for all-day walking? Wondering if they are as comfortable/supportive as the shoes? We'll be in Italy and France in July and I'm looking for something that would work with skirts, shorts, capris.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM

Hey 4doors, we're on the same wave length..we'll be in Italy and Switz. in July/Aug and I've recently posted a similar question. I'll look forward to the replies..
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:36 AM

4doors and skiobx,
I have a pair of Merrell sport sandals that I love. I bought them for a trip to Hawaii last year. I hiked in them and they were wonderful. They are extremely comfortable and have great arch support. I walk in them everyday. I love them! I'm not sure what they are called, but they are blue and grey, if that helps. I paid only $60 at REI, which is a steal.

-Bill
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I wore Merrell slide sandals all over Spain, France, & Italy last July. They were very supportive, comfortable, and cool. They are so light it feels like you are barefoot! Have a great time.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 11:40 AM

I wore Merrell flip flops (athletic-style flip flops) all over Italy and Greece (2004 - 2006). They were very comfortable, however I do not recommend wearing them on days you will walk in excess of 10 miles. I wore them one day in Rome when we walked 14 miles and got a couple of blisters from the friction.