Search

Walking Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:35 AM
Karen

Walking Paris

Does anyone have a favorite self-guided walking tour taken from a book or another source? Any favorite walking tour books?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Dave

Karen - Tho its not as detailed as some "specific" guide books for walks, I've actually enjoyed the Fodor's/Frommers walks that can be downloaded and printed off their respective websites.<BR>It's cheaper than buying a book, and I've simply had good luck enjoying myself on their itins.<BR>Best wishes for a great trip!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Sandy

We just returned from Paris and IMO it's an easy walking city. Before we left for Paris, I made a list of places we wanted to see/visit and the general location. The hotel gave us an easy-reading map when we arrived and we also bought a 2-day L'Open Bus Tour Pass, which really saved us some walking. We were there for 6 days and we were really able to see so much. We didn't hesitate to ask directions from Parisians on the street and everyone was so nice. I regret we can't speak French but everyone spoke English to us, once they found out we were Americans. One bit of advice I'd like to pass on, that I read on Fodor's... save some time to just sit at an outdoor cafe and people watch and get the true feel of the city. We had a wonderful experience in Paris!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:27 AM
elle

Thirza Vallois' series of books--there are three, divided by arrondisements, I think the whole series is called Around and About Paris? or Out and About Paris--anyway, they have great walking tours in them. I highly recommend them, even though I'm blanking on the name!!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Kathleen

I like 'Walking Paris' by Gilles Desmons. It has 30 walks all over the city & beyond, gives good general information, and is easy to follow. <BR>Thirza VAllois's books are great too, but a lot bulkier and way more detailed~great if you really want an in depth history, too much if you want a pretty walk.<BR>Also take the time to just wander through an Arrondissimont. Get a good map, like the small Michelin spiral bound, and explore!

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Karen

Thanks! Kathleen, any of his walks that you especially liked?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 03:55 PM
nancy

Rick Steves' Paris guidebook has excellent walking tours as does Steinbecker's (sp). Also, check out bparis.com.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 01:39 PM
xxx

Edmund White, author of a walking-tour type book called "Flanneurs" (sp?) was interviewed today on NPR.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 02:22 PM
Billy

I posted a similar question earlier. After looking at several books, I prefer the fodors (either 2002 paris or Exploring Paris). Nice tours with a paragraph or so on each major site. The 2002 Paris has a really nice 5 day itinerary inside. Also, I'm going to use a copy of Frommers Memorable Walks to fill in some extra tours...but if I had to choose just one,it would be the Fodors.