Hispanic Day? (Oct 12) in Spain

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Spain on Oct 12 which I just learned is "Hispanic Day." We are tentatively planning to be in Seville on this day (although it will not be our only day in Seville). Should it affect our trip? Anything special to do? Are things closed? Thanks in advance
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 10:45 AM

It isn't really "Hispanic day" it is Spain's national day (Fiesta Nacional) which does also have the older term officially (I think) of Fiesta Nacional de España y Día de la Hispanidad or La Feria de las Naciones, la ‘Gran Fiesta de la Hispanidad y la Integración' but that does not translate to Hispanic Day. Hispanidad is a noun and is a reference to the Iberoamerican Spanish-speaking world, I believe. So it's a weird holiday, half nationalistic to celebrate Columbus discovering "America" (and maybe Spain plundering a lot of it) and people who are anti-nationalistic don't see it as militarily. But I think official Spain likens it to some military thing and has the usual parades like France on theirs (in Madrid), although a lot of people just use it for a long weekend.

Seville may have some multi-country events to celebrate the integration of it, such as performing arts (I saw they had some dancers from various countries one year). It is a national holiday, though, so some things are definitely closed. Stores, things like that, some restaurants. Museums if that is their usual closure day, anyway.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:14 AM

Look at Seville's tourist website. There should be plenty of things, based upon Christina's discussion of the holiday and Seville's importance in Spain's colonial period.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:49 AM

In addition to Spain "plundering the Americans", lets not forget the Roman legions plundering the known world, Vikings plundering the British Isles and a few other places during their annual summer working-holiday travel season. Genghis Khan plundering just about everything he could get his hands on and Charlemagne plundering the Iberian Peninsula. And let’s not forget the recent episode of bankers plundering a nation’s wealth.

The 12th is simply a national holiday, but also a banking holiday in Andalucía. The biggest thing happening in Sevilla in early October of this year will be the Bienal de Flamenco de Sevilla, but it ends on the 9th.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 12:10 PM

The statue of Columbus at the foot of the Ramblas in Barcelona is pointing to Libya. Last time I was there I wanted to get a few guys and turn him around.
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 11:45 PM

Adu...LOL
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:05 AM

LOL. Some ya it is just showing the WAY to get there.. by sea, and some actually say it is pointing towards Genova, his birthplace.

The idea to have his finger point to America some thought would be confusing as it would point towards La Rambla according to Wikipedia.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 01:29 AM

Oct12 is Día de la Virgen del PIlar, a big religious holiday as well.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 03:43 AM

>>>>>
It isn't really "Hispanic day".....Fiesta Nacional de España y Día de la Hispanidad or La Feria de las Naciones, la ‘Gran Fiesta de la Hispanidad y la Integración' but that does not translate to Hispanic Day. Hispanidad is a noun and is a reference to the Iberoamerican Spanish-speaking world, I believe
>>>>>>

crikey...i'd just go with 'hispanic day'.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 04:45 AM

Ribe, Linca

I guess they did not want people to confuse Columbus with the guy trying to get you into the Sex Museum on the Ramblas.
Old Aug 27th, 2010, 05:53 AM

If you are in Sevilla during the last days of the flamenco bienal, you should try to get tickets to either the male dancer Rafael Campallo on the 7th (13 tickets left), the female dancer Fuensanta la Moneta on the 8th (voted the best female flamenco dancer in 2009 by Spanish critics, 39 tickets left) or one of the world's finest guitar players, the fabulous Paco de Lucía's closing concert at grand Teatro de la Maestranza on the 9th (sold out, but always possible to get hold of tickets outside the venue).
http://www.flamenco-world.com/notici...al22032010.htm
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 01:19 AM

Adu...are you sure you are not thinking about Amsterdam? Hold on they do not have a Columbus, only the other!
Maybe we could make him into a weather vane, then we can see which way the wind blows.