Walking in Montepulciano

Search

Walking in Montepulciano

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking in Montepulciano

We are looking into renting the Politian apartments in Montepulciano. We have 5 women of different ages - from 25 to 67 years old. Has anybody stayed at these apartments and can you tell me if it would be too many hills and too many stairs for a 67 year old woman who is in pretty good shape (Walks a couple of miles a day and takes aerobics a couple of times a week).

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Jane
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:29 PM

I don't know those apartments, but the whole city is VERY up and down with pretty steep inclines, so you're going to have to get around to see the city anyway. I would also imagine that the apartments are multi story, and doubtful that they have an elevator, so you might want to check to see what floor you're going to be on.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 04:20 PM

I thought that the town was easy enough to get around. The majority of the streets are going up or down but I found them more to be a constant angle rather than steep. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM

Have you stayed at Muebli Il Riccio? or what do you folks recommend for Montepulciano? Do you think it;s better to stay in town or outside as a base for Tuscany & Chianti in March? Any suggestions welcome.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 09:24 AM

I didn't stay in Montepulciano, just drove through, but it is very steep. You might want to do a search here on Politan apartments. Seems to me I remember someone staying there and one of the apartments required going up some stairs, down some others, then up more to get to it. I wouldn't want to have to do that, and I'm much younger than 67! (Although I do have arthritis in my knees...)
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 10:12 AM

Susan, that would be me with the kitchen sink.

I understand from their website that Giacamo has added an additional apartment. www.politan.com

Apartment #1 & #2 have connecting doors, so if you are renting both apartments, you could get to Apt #2 without going outside, down the steps, then back up again. If you are in good shape -- no problem.

In the lower section of the town (North), there is one street that has a steep incline. After that, it is a gradual incline -- shouldn't be a problem if one takes his/her time.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM

Ah, yes, Budman, I was trying to remember who had written that report. Glad to know I didn't imagine it!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:30 PM

We are in our mid-50's and tend to walk a great deal on trips, although we are not otherwise in great shape. We liked the Politian apartment #1 very much, but the building is at the top of the (very hilly) town. This means you have a fabulous view. But, on the other hand, you have to walk down hill to virtually the whole town and back up again to get to your apartment. #1 does not involve as many stairs as #2, as Budman says.

I think you would probably enjoy it a great deal, but another option would be to stay in a place more toward the middle of town, to limit the amount of uphill and downhill walking.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:07 PM

The ONLY place to stay -- and it's in the middle of the town -- is the Appartamenti al Poggiolo:

www.appartamentialpoggiolo.it

Margherita and her sister Elena have done a splendid conversion of a building connected to their mother's family palazzo (whereas their father's family palazzo is now rented out as the State Taxation Office.)

Four units there -- and four smaller units in a building around the corner.

In March last year we paid 500 euros/week for a 2 storey, 2 bed, 2 bath apartment with fireplace, all mod cons, brand new kitchen and enclosed parking space at the edge of their handsome terraced garden. Beamed ceilings, "cotto" floors, travertine staircase etc etc.

See my trip-report of last year or check out slowtrav: these apartments get raves.

I have been researching other, more northerly Tuscan locations for our March trip to Italy this year and NOTHING compares, for price:value ratio.

PS: just around the corner is a wonderful (fancy) restaurant, the Logge del vignola
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 05:06 AM

I agree with Tedgale. Al poggiolo is a great place to stay!! We stayed in apt.1 (no stairs) and loved it. There were hills to walk up and down but nothing too strenuous. I am in my late 50s and was pretty overweight at the time we were there. I was concerned initially about the hills but it turned out fine for me. One day I walked the main street, from bottom to top, 5 different times. Your 67 year old friend will do fine. I am going back to Montepulciano next year for my 60th birthday. Can't wait! You will have a wonderful time! Enjoy.
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Granbury:

We are scheduled for Apt #1 Poggolio
end of March, glad to hear you enjoyed your stay so much! Are you planning a different itinerary this year? Any good moderately priced places to eat for a family in mind?
Thanks!
Tiller
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. After reading your responses I don't think we will have a problem with the hills.

After posting this, I did some more research and found on this board and the slow travel site about the Appartamenti al Poggiolo. We just booked Units 3 and 4 today for June.

Thanks!
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 04:12 PM

Yippee! Please tell Margherita that Ted, from Canada, was the first on this thread to steer you to her -- you will be my third recommendee, if such a term exists.

And add that Ted la ringrazia tanto e spera tornare fra poco alla sua bellissima citta.