Reload this Page >

walking holiday - shropshire

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 03:04 AM
jes

Hello, I'm considering a walking holiday in <BR>Shropshire, based in Church Stretton. Are there any folks who can comment on walking/hiking or touring in that area? <BR>Any recommendations on things to see/do<BR>in Church Stretton, Shrewsbury, Ludlow and around would be of interest and appreciated. Thanks!

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Doug Weller

Just go to those places, go to the tourist information bureau and get some maps. You might want to go see the 'Cadfael Abbey' in Shrewbury.<BR>Ah, in Shrewsbury, go to McDonalds.<BR>Then go down to the basement.<BR>One of the most interesting McDonald's I've seen.<BR><BR>A web search will pick up things to do in the area. Walking should be great. Look on Amazon for walk books in the area -- Shropshire, Herefordshire.<BR><BR>Doug

Old Nov 25th, 2001, 08:39 AM
Jody

Outside of Ludlow is a wonderful small castle "Stokesay". it has the best audio tour I've encountered, it is of a conceiveable size and also a very nice church alongside. <BR>Ludlow also has great restaurants!!!<BR>And one of the nicest B and B's we've stayed at, rooms are scattered among 4 old buildings. The one we were in had just 2 bedrooms, and there was a sitting room just for those rooms in case you wanted to get out of the room and relax in a chair!Then breakfast is served in the main house, several doors down the street.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 01:24 AM
evo2

You should also consider visiting the Ironbridge Gorge for the birthplace of industry.<BR><BR>It's in Telford in western Shropshire, about 1/2 hr from Church Stretton.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:48 AM
dave

Church Stretton is a small market town whose main attraction to tourists is the surrounding hills, most famously the Long Mynd. The town is pleasant enough but there isn't that much to see. There are several nice pubs and cafe's, a quality second hand bookshop and several antique shops.The church and graveyard are very attractive and in common with many other Shropshire towns, there are a lot of half-timbered buildings. Interestingly, Church Stretton was used as a base to train blinded servicemen in the war, and there is a plaque recording this in the church.<BR><BR>South Shropshire is absolutely wonderful for walking and is one of the most unspoilt parts of England. Places you might want to visit in Shropshire would include Wenlock Abbey at Much Wenlock (great audio tour), Bishops Castle (a great little market town near the welsh border, go to the six bells at the bottom of the high street for lunch - they brew their own beer and the food is superb). Clun ("the quietest place under the sun" according to Housman) has its own ruined Castle and is a very atmospheric village (with 2 good pubs). Montgomery is another small town set under a ruined castle, this is just over the border in Wales. Bridgnorth a bit further East is about 40 mins by Car from Church Stretton is well worth visiting. It set on a cliff by the Severn, with the houses clinging to the hillside. There are some great views and there is a small funicular railway joining the riverside area with the main part of town. Unsurprisingly, there is also some ruined castle to see as well.<BR>If you go a bit further afield you could explore mid-Wales and Herefordshire quite easily. <BR>This is an relatively untouristed part of the country (why, I don't know) and I am sure you will have a great time.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:11 AM
evo2

Whoops, meant to say that Telford is in Eastern Shropshire.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 08:44 AM
xxx

The Abbey in Much Wenlock was a highlight of our trip! I'm not exactly sure how or why we ended up there as it was not planned. But it was sure worth the time. The ruins are spectacular and it audio tour was by far the best we encountered.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 10:11 AM
KT

I stayed at a B&B near Much Wenlock and agree with the other posters about the abbey tour (and I'm not usually a big fan of audio tours). I also enjoyed Ironbridge Gorge -- there's loads to see there, including an open-air museum that includes the original industrial works as well as things like a Victorian funfair and really isn't too hokey, several other related museums (tile museum, etc.), and the bridge itself. Countryside around there is lovely for walking, and I'd love to go back.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 01:00 PM
jes

Thanks everyone for sharing your<BR>experiences and knowledge about walking/visiting Shropshire. <BR>The abbey at Much Wenlock sounds especially appealing. <BR>I appreciate all of your suggestions<BR>and will put them to use as I have <BR>definitely decided to take the trip.<BR>Thanks again!<BR>