Search

Walking Holiday after Salzburg

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walking Holiday after Salzburg

Travelers: two active seniors (60+)
Length: three to five days after visiting Salzburg, then move on to Bavaria or Northern Italy
Time: Summer or early fall (2022)
Transport: public transportation
Interests: walking, bird watching, bike riding, local food and wine, photography. Waterfalls, caves, hot springs would be a plus. No hardcore hiking or cycling.

Would prefer one town with access to a variety of easy walks and Mountain View’s
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 02:51 AM

There are plenty of towns accessible from Salzburg that operate as Ski resorts in the winter and have lovely walks as well as the infrastructure with cable cars to bring you really high up the mountains. We tend to go to that area in wintertime and places we have enjoyed are Kaprun, Zell am see and Hinterglemm... all in the same general area. They would be lovely in summertime I imagine. Not sure are they too far from Salzburg for you? Around 2 hours from Salzburg airport.
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 06:15 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I was hoping to take a solo walking trip to the area myself this summer, but doubt it will happen. I was planning to base in Mittenwald.

In addition to taking the Karwendelbahn in Mittenwald to the top for walks, I was planning a day trip to Garmisch to visit the Partnach Gorge (25 minutes from Garmisch on foot, a short hop from Mittenwald by train - https://www.partnachklamm.de/en), day trips to Seefeld for hiking (19 minute train ride from Mittenwald - we did some winter hiking in Seefeld one year - loads of tracks there), and a possible day trip to Innsbruck (one hour train ride from Mittenwald) to visit the Nordkette (which I've missed on two previous trips to Innsbruck). I understand there are some walks up there too.

I'd also earmarked a day trip to Ettal Monestary – https://www.kloster-ettal.de/en

There is an amazing range of walks and hikes in these areas, but we always visit in winter so haven't had the chance to explore them in depth (yet).

There's also the Salzkammergut, the lakes district near Salzburg. We visited over Christmas one year, spending five nights in St Gilgen, but I'd imagine the walks in that area are endless (we managed to take a few in winter).

https://www.salzkammergut.at/en/

And don't miss the Untersberg while you're in Salzburg.

Untersberg

Untersberg

Last edited by Melnq8; Mar 20th, 2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 02:45 AM

Most areas between Salzburg and Italy are good for hiking, for example
Zillertal
Stubaital
Vilnoesstal, Goednertal
Pustertal (Bruneck/Brunico, Val Badia/Badia Alta, Ahrntal, Toblach/Dobbiaco, Innnichen/San Candido, Sexten/Sesto)
Osttirol (Lienz, Defereggertal)
Lake Millstaettersee, Lake Woerthersee
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 10:41 PM

I've been a good few summers to Neustift in the Stubaital, just south of Innsbruck, which would certainly fit the bill. Plenty of scenic walks (including some wild water), and well serviced by efficient public transport.
A previous trip report with photos

https://www.stubai.at/en/

​​​​​​