Walking Distances in London

Feb 13th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Scott

Walking Distances in London

I am stumped trying to come up with a workable timetable for London ... can anyone tell me if these are feasable walks and how long it would take an average tourist( read stroller) to walk them -

Tower of London to St Paul's
Lancaster Gate thru Hyde Park to Buckingham Palace and/or Harrods
Imperial War Museum to Eye over London
Eye over London to Theatre Royal Drury Lane

Thank you

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:26 PM
bettyk

A good London map will have a scale on it; i.e., 1" = 1/2 mile, etc. Just look at your route and then add it up. You should have an idea how long it takes you to leisurely walk one mile so you can do the math!

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:32 PM
kitty

I do know that it is a relatively easy walk through Hyde Park to Harrods. We did it last summer and it would have been nice except it started pouring rain about half way through the park. Otherwise, it would have been nice. Not sure about the other walks you've listed though.

Feb 13th, 2002, 02:34 PM
lisa

I was there several years ago. Walked from Trafalgar Square to the Tower of London. That was a pretty long haul but having St Pauls as a starting point shouldn't be too bad.

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Scott

Thanks - I'm not trying to avoid the math but I know that sometimes what you think you see on a map isn't what you get - ie large hills, heavy traffic, bad part of town etc. I have checked out a few walks in the travel books but they don't really cover the routes I'm thinking of..

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:31 PM
Doug

Tower of London and St. Pauls are a bit of a distance from each other and everything else. Plus it is in "the city" not a very interesting walk. I'd take a cab and save your energy for everything else which is closer together and more interesting routes. London Cabs are a little expensive but a great experience. If cash is tight take the underground.

Feb 13th, 2002, 06:34 PM
ron

All these walks are flat. Except for the two across Hyde Park, they are each a mile or less. The walk to the Tower is nicer if you head down to the Thames Path at London Bridge. Much of the walk from the War Museum is kind of unpleasant - heavy traffic along Westminster Bridge Street and you are walking under the train tracks leading into Waterloo Station.

Feb 13th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Judy

From Tower of London to St.Paul's is a very nice walk. You would walk by many of Wren's Churches,each one has different design,different little history. I think this is one of the most interesting walks in London.

Feb 14th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Gareth Evans

The City 'not interesting'! this is the oldest and one of the most historic parts of London! It's streets are winding, you can see the different achitecture of the HQs of some of the biggest finacial institutions in the World. Not to mention wrens churches, the monument to the Great Fire, Spitlefields market and on and on. Have a word!