Search

walk or metro?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 05:45 AM
Terri

walk or metro?

My husband and I are having a debate- is it better to walk to see the sites or take the metro in Paris? I keep reading how wonderful the metro is but when I look at a map I can't help but think that Paris is pretty small! So, how far is it from Notre Dame to Eifell tower?

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:20 AM
Deborah

Whether you walk to see the sights or take the Metro probably depends on how much time and energy you have. To walk from the Arc d'Triumph to the Louvre is doable—it's a beautiful walk down the Champs Elysees. But I love the Paris Metro system. It will take you to places you would be unable to walk (taxis are an option though). For example, take the metro to Anvers and walk two blocks (mostly uphill!) to Sacre Coeur church. It's wonderful! <BR> <BR>Have fun in Paris. Try to do a little walking and a little Metro-ing.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:43 AM
elaine

Terri <BR>I think Deborah is right, it depends on time and energy, but certainly the best way to get to know Paris is to walk it, and make spontaneous detours and stops along the way. The metro is a good idea for speed, and for longer distances, but you won't be learning the streets and neighborhoods. A good compromise is taking a bus for longer distances. <BR>here are websites for you <BR>RER Metro and Bus maps www.paris.org/Metro/ <BR>or. www.ratp.fr <BR>Buses are green and white; their destinations and route number are marked in front, and some of the major stops they make are marked on the sides. Most routes end around 8:30 pm, some go to midnight. The bus shelters have timetables and route maps. Buses accept metro tickets and passes, or you can buy a ticket on board. Board from the front, allowing people to exit before you enter. If you have a metro pass, you show it to the driver as you board. If you have an individual ticket, you punch it in the red and grey machine to the left of the driver on the bus. Push a red stop request button to signal the driver to stop at your stop. In addition,the Balabus is a public bus whose route covers the major tourist sites in the spring and fall, stopping at St Michel, Musee D'Orsay, Louvre, Concorde, Champs-Elysees, Charles de Gaulle-Etoile, Port Maillot, and Neuilly. <BR> <BR>There is also a privately-run Parisbus, a red double-decker with nine stops in Paris. The tour starts at Trocadero, and runs every 50 minutes until 5 pm. Tickets are good for unlimited use over two days, so you can get off and explore and pick it up again later. The timetable is available from the Tourist Office at 127 av. des Champs Elysees. <BR>Finally, there is l'Open Tour, a new tourist bus line in Paris. The RATP has joined forces with 2 partners (Cityrama & Guide Friday), in order to set up and operate a sightseeing bus service in the heart of Paris. There are 3 routes : <BR>- Madeleine (main route) <BR>- Bercy / Notre Dame <BR>- Madeleine / Anvers Sacré Coeur <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:48 AM
elvira

Paris is 7 miles wide and 6 miles long - very walkable. The Metro goes everywhere, and is a very efficient transport of people. That being said: <BR> <BR>At a leisurely stroll (believe me, you'll be stopping to look, slowing down to peek, standing in place to gawk - heck, I've been to Paris a bazillion times and I still stop and stare at the buildings, at flowers in a park....), you can get from Notre Dame to the Eiffel Tower in about an hour. <BR> <BR>You can mix'n'match; for example, take the RER from Pont St Michel to Musee d'Orsay or les Invalides, then walk the rest of the way; on the way back, take the RER to les Invalides or Musee d'Orsay and walk the rest of the way to Notre Dame. <BR> <BR>That's why I like a Metro pass - if I decide I'm tired, I can hop on a subway, even if it's for a short distance. <BR> <BR>You'll find you'll walk long distances without even realizing it (thus the need for really good walking shoes); keep a metro map handy, 'cause you'll suddenly think "ohgod my feet are killing me I can't walk another step" (this seems to happen after you've sat in a cafe for a while, and go to get up). <BR> <BR>There's also the Batobus, a boat that makes stops along the Seine, either at or near the major tourist sights. <BR> <BR>Whatever you decide, enjoy the city to its fullest.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 07:16 AM
vosaki

The Paribus, a double decker bus, stops at logical places all around Paris. You pay a fee and you can jump on and off at your discretion. It's neat, the upper deck is open, it beats being a mole in the underground. There's a running commentary of what you're passing.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 08:56 AM
Bob Brown

I think Paris is walkable, but get a good map. The map that came with the Fodor's guide is quite adequate for the central city. As a reserve, I have the HUGE Michelin map. It usually stays in my suitcase and serves as a reference because it is too large to unfold on a bus. <BR>Put me down as a person who dislikes the Metro. There are several reasons, but the most major ones are: (1) one must walk down long tunnels and flights of stairs and (2) you cannot see anything while riding! (And I thought it smelled funny!!) <BR>We used the bus much of the time because it was easier. Most of the bus stops have very well designed, color-coded maps of the bus routes, which I found easy to read. I admit that the bus is not as quick in most cases as the Metro for cross-town treks, but on the bus I could use my map and identify the historic buildings and sites. When we saw something we wanted to visit, we got off. True, it takes a new ticket to continue the ride, but what the heck, it is a sightseeing trip!! <BR>For example, when we went to Giverny, we took a bus from the Montparnasse Tower to Gare St. Lazare. It was much better for viewing than the Metro. When we went to the Opera de la Bastille, we took the bus and got to see more of Paris.

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 12:03 PM
Caitlin

We found Paris a wonderful city for walking and walked most everywhere. There's no reason to just walk or just use public transit; do what you feel like doing at the moment. I agree that good shoes and a good map are helpful for walking. For the latter, I took the recommendations to buy a plan de Paris par arrondissement, and was glad. These are pocket-size books with complete street indexes and maps of each arrondissement (there are several different brands, mine is "L'Indespensable" and was the one the proprieter of the magazine shop where I bought it recommended; they're all around 40FF). These are great because they are current and show literally every street, and they fit in your pocket or purse and don't have to be unfolded. <BR> <BR>One more reason to walk: we found we were always hungry, and could therefore enjoy more of that Parisian glace and patisserie without guilt (or tightening waistbands)!