Walk all over Paris?

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Betty

Walk all over Paris?

Everyone says to "walk, walk, walk" when you get to Paris. My question is - how big is Paris in comparison to a US city? Also, do you walk because everywhere you walk, there is something interesting to see? I live close to Atlanta, Ga and I am thinking if you walked in Atlanta, there is a lot to see, but you would have to walk a long ways between seeing the high spots. Do you see what I am trying to say?

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Lori

Betty, Paris is much easier to get around in. The city is more condensed then Atlanta. You can use the metro for cross town trips. I would suggest dividing the city into different sections.And yes, everywhere you look there is something to see !!!

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:39 PM
Sue

How would you compare Paris and NYC as far as size ?

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Lola

In Atlanta,(while it is a very nice city) you could go blocks before you would pass an interesting building or park,etc.
In Paris, just about every shop you pass,every street,every building is interesting,beautiful,wonderful! And when you reach the end of the street, whichever direction you look in,there is a "high spot"

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:40 PM
traveller

Sue-sounds right to me.At least the part of NYC that most people walk around in,tourists and all.

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Having been to both Atlanta and Paris, I can see why walking wouldn't seem like such a great way to get around if one would believe the cities are similar. They're not -- although I give high marks to the ice cream at the Atlanta Commerce Club . European cities in general are much more densely built and so there is much more in the same amount of space. Paris is no exception. Atlanta is far more spread out, by comparison. And yes, in most areas, there IS almost always something interesting to see because so many historic buildings have been preserved. On those occasions where the destination is too much of a hike, it's said that the metro will take you to within 500 yards of any building in Paris and I've always found that to be the case. Walking in Paris is often not so much about trying to get to a particular place anyway.

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:46 PM
lori

As I recall, Paris seems to be smaller than Manhattan. You won't actually be visiting every street. Most good walking tours start a place of interest like the Louvre, then move down the Seine to the Cathedral. There are many things to see along the way such as the Hotel d' Ville, Concierge, etc. Fodors has a pretty good book for first timers. Happy walking.

Jul 6th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Lori

As the other Lori said, Paris is a small city, rather compact I would call it. You can walk easily around, but personally I don't think I would walk from one end of the city to the other (you could, but I doubt if many do it). The core part of the city is where tourists go and it is easily walkable. While I live in the west and relate more to LA, Phoenix, etc. and have never been to Atlanta I don't think you can compare (size wise) Atlanta 7 Paris. If Atlanta is like most US cities there is not a lot to see in most of it - think the "core" part of an eastern city, i.e. NY, Boston, Phila, DC, and you get more of what Paris is.

Jul 6th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Betty

Thanks everyone! I "get it" now and it sounds so wonderful. Can't wait to go. (first week in Sept). I will be walking and smiling all the time and thinking "I'm in Paris!!!".

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Keith

I suggest you purchase a guide book that contains guides for walking tours throughout the different areas of the city. Although you may not follow any of them exactly, the guides will open your eyes to the many delights you will encounter as you make your way from one place to another.

Jul 6th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Christina

Paris is much larger than Manhattan, it's about 34 sq mi within the peripherique, NYC is only 22 sq mi. I've lived in both and Paris feels a lot larger, also. Manhattan is not really very big east to west, only a couple miles, whereas each half of Paris is probably that far from Seine to border.

Jul 8th, 2002, 09:53 AM
carol

Hi Betty,

I live in NYC and love Paris. Paris and NYC are similar in that they both have neighborhoods that you can walk around in, but you'd probably take the bus or subway/metro to get from one neighborhood to the other. For example, if push came to shove, one could walk from Greenwich Village to the Metropolitan Museum or Lincoln Center--but why would you when you could take a nice bus ride? On the other hand--I can't imagine anyone who'd do anything but walk around the Village and SoHo. So, IMHO, you've got exactly the right idea. Just familiarize yourself with the public transportation (bus and metro)which is convenient to your hotel and you'll be fine.

Jul 8th, 2002, 12:43 PM
aj

Betty,

The first time we were in Paris the subway went on strike so we had to walk! I wouldn't do it any other way now! Take good shoes and enjoy every window and narrow street! Just remember to take business cards from each shop you are interested in because you may not be able to find them again! My husband and I tend to "get lost" in the beauty of Paris each visit! Have a wonderful first trip to Paris!

Jul 8th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Beth

Yes, take notes for addresses. We passed a chocolate shop that wasn't open on Sunday a.m. and couldn't find it again although we traced and retraced what we thought was the route.

Jul 8th, 2002, 01:49 PM
ellen

I agree that Paris is a walkable city but disagree with those who say it's compact. You would not want to walk from the westernmost attraction, e.g., the Arc de Triomphe, to the easternmost, let's say, the Bastille, or the Jardin des Plantes. There are many areas in Paris and all walkable but connecting some of them would be quite a hike!

Jul 8th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Sue

Betty, I grew up in Atlanta, and now live in Miami - and you can't possibly compare U.S. cities like these to Paris. They are so spread out, and impossible to walk anywhere! Paris is a walker's paradise - I'm sure you'll agree after you go there. Everywhere you go is interesting and beautiful, and if you get tired, just get on the wonderful metro system. Metro stops are quite close together, and will get you anywhere in a few minutes.

I love Atlanta, and it's a great place to live, but Paris it isn't! The "high spots" are few and far between, whereas in Paris, everything is a "high spot".

Jul 9th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Susan

I walked everywhere I went in Paris except from the Gare du Nord to my hotel on Rue Jacob. Now I did not go to Montmartre, but I walked to the Eiffel Tower by way of the d'Orsay, Musee Rodin and Invalides. I went to the Opera Garnier, the Luxembourg Gardens, Place de Voges, the Beaubourg, the Picasso Museum, and of Notre Dame and Ile Saint Louis. Can you see all of Paris by foot, no; but you can see a great deal.

Jul 9th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Maggie

Hi Betty,
Yes, Paris is a walkable city but one way to cut down on the walking is to take the "hop-on, hop off" Open top bus tour, complete with commentary.
This way you are transported to the major points of interest, where you can "hop off", explore the area and then "hop on" again to be transported to the next site, getting a good view of Paris street life, traffic jams etc. en route.
We did this last year and found it an ideal way to explore the city.
Enjoy your vist.
Regards
Maggie.

Jul 9th, 2002, 01:43 PM
distances in Paris

Paris is arranged by arrondisements which are numbered, spiraling from the center of the city outward.

So if you are talking about walking from the Latin Quarter (5th) up to the Eiffle Tower (7th) it is far but do-able. If you are talking about walking clear from the south end - north end, or east edge - west edge of Paris proper, ya got a LONG LONG day ahead of you.

I think when people talk the "walk walk walk" they are referring to Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elise, Notre Dame, Eiffle Tower, Louvre, St. Chapelle, like that (pardon my terrible French spelling).

I walk because it IS interesting and less confusing to me than trying to take the Metro ;-)

Jul 9th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Maggie

Hi Betty,
Yes, Paris is a walkable city but one way to cut down on the walking is to take the "hop-on, hop off" Open top bus tour, complete with commentary.
This way you are transported to the major points of interest, where you can "hop off", explore the area and then "hop on" again to be transported to the next site, getting a good view of Paris street life, traffic jams etc. en route.
We did this last year and found it an ideal way to explore the city.
Enjoy your vist.
Regards
Maggie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO