Search

Wales or York

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 06:31 AM
Robin

Wales or York

I have cut our itinerary down a bit and we have 2 days that we can spend in either Wales or York (will be going directly from Cotswolds). I'd appreciate opinions on which would be better. The first part of the trip will be in the general area of Bath and the last few days will be in London (we have a car). <BR> <BR>Also, if you know of any extraordinary/awesome b&b's in any of these areas, please let me know. My husband is 6'5" so we are always looking for a kingsize bed (very difficult in Englad). Thanks for your input!!

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Beth Anderson

Robin, <BR> <BR>I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. both VERY beautiful - but I've only been to Northern Wales (which I highly recommend). <BR> <BR>In York, you can get a guidebook and take a self guided car tour of "Herriot Country" (wow), or if you go to Snowdonia/Llanberis/Betwys y Coed in northern Wales you have stunning sights there. <BR> <BR>to tell the truth, having done them both - I would be bummed to go back and have to CHOOSE. so I guess I am no help to you. <BR> <BR>near York, there is a REALLY nice B&B in Raskelf - called the Old Farmhouse. The telephone number given is 0347-821971 but my book is 4 years old now. It is Fodor's Cottages, B&Bs and Country Inns of England/Scotland/Wales. <BR> <BR>The nearest main road is A19 from York to Thirsk (if that helps). In the book, it refers to a "fabulously luxurious bathroom in one of the suites" - well I was lucky enough to get that room (how I do not know) so I can vouch for that too! (not that I tend to spend inordinate amounts of time in the bathroom or anything!) <BR> <BR>I paid 20 pounds a night, 4 years ago. don't know how much it would be now. The book gives GLOWING recommendations and I can wholeheartedly say I approve. <BR> <BR>in Betwys y Coed, I stayed at a B&B near the old church (you will know exactly what I mean, if you go there - small town, one old church - look up the hill behind it.) <BR> <BR>VERY pretty, and a nice place to stay too. I loved that area. The nearby forest seemed magical (something about the atmosphere - right after a rain it was misty and dark, but hauntingly beautiful - oddly enough I started thinking about "HEIDI" of all things - talk about being confused) and the views as you motored up up up to get to Llanberis (where the little railroad in the mountains is) is enough to make you cry. <BR> <BR>anyway, good luck.. let me know what you do! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 09:20 AM
pat

Robin <BR>If you are going from Bath, you are so closed to the channel to cross to Wales, and you have only 2 days, so it should be enough to choose wales. <BR>Unfortunately, public transport for south to north wales is not so good, hope you have your own car, so that you can drive from Cardiff (Caerdydd to the north after spending some hours at the bay. Definitely, you should not miss the beauty of Snowdon in the north, I stay in Capel curig, 6 miles away from Betws-Y-Coed, and use the bus service to explore many lovely towns there. <BR>Whatever your choice will be, you wouldn't be disappointed.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 05:36 PM
Iprefer

I've been to both, and I prefer York. Take the free tour given by the tourist bureau. It is great. There are also several British Heritage sites outside of York worth a look.

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 05:37 PM
PS

Please stop at Warwick Castle. It is great!

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 04:50 AM
Steve

Wales -- less English people there to spoil your holiday!